Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785065 times)

Offline gfmr89

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13210 on: 21 November 2023, 14:51 »
Not done today but a few weeks ago as I mentioned earlier - a set of 18" Pretoria wheels on my GTI. I'm very pleased with them and they're a great improvement over the stock 18" wheels.

I also have an Oettinger spoiler and TCR rear silencer awaiting fitment. I'll update when those are done  :smiley:

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13211 on: 21 November 2023, 17:25 »
Today I discovered why my spare wheel was swimming in 30mm of water!

If anyone can explain why I should not permanently seal these vents would they please reply.

Thank you all.

As others have said its the rear vents...

However VW made newer versions with a rubber seal, instead of a foam seal (which degrades with age & lets water in)....You could buy the newer revised vents & it is possible to install from the inside without having to remove the outer bumper skin....

Discovered vent frames were fitted with rubber seals but they were worse than useless. So loose when I rattled them the noise could be heard on the other side of the road!
Solution;
Each flap removed, cleaned and replaced.
Sealed off two of the vents (see pic) using butyl and plastic cut from lids food container. Vent frame refitted using butyl seal.
Result; zero water ingress and NO noticeable effect with door or hatch closing.

Degraded seal on both Rear light clusters.
Solution;
Removed, replaced with butyl seal and refitted.
Result; zero water ingress over two heavy downpours.

Observations;
a) Each of the vents have a square area of apx 15" This despite there not being sufficient air space between the trim or the rear light access that would allow such a passage of air, even allowing for air pressure caused by door or hatch shutting.
b) Grommet below near side vents had been inserted upside down. Clearly an exterior a rectification.
c) Both vent pockets had been sealed with hot wax. Wax splatters on interior of all vent flaps. All wax was removed and the whole interior cavity was sprayed with liberal coats of silicone.
d) Vent flaps were not worn at all and did not require replacing (VW said they would) Saved £70+.

It is my opinion that the rear vents could be safely closed off completely.

My 5th VW and it will certainly be my last. Will go Japanese next.

TIP; do not be afraid of removing the bumper or the interior trim, just work slowly and ensure you know where all the metal clips are located. An old blanket protects the bumper when removed, an extra pair of hands helps to support the bumper while you removed the other end. Using grease or silicone on each clip eases reassembly immensely.

Offline jharar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13212 on: 21 November 2023, 23:00 »
As mentioned by SRGTD
Recycling, Garden Waste & General Waste, My next door neighbour got 2 of each.. :laugh:

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #13213 on: 22 November 2023, 17:48 »
Up on axle stands, cleaned underneath and applied Tetraseal rustproof spray to suspension and underside.... I've had more fun! :)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13214 on: 22 November 2023, 19:51 »
Pleased to have got the 5th year ( minor) service done today, and the 3rd MOT.

I never enjoy service day- you just never know what nonsense they’ll come back with.

This year I was quoted for tyres- which don’t need doing, for a “ slightly frayed seatbelt”- which I asked them to show me and which they agreed was trivial- and for rear pads and discs- though the technician said the discs were fine.

I was told that they “ recommend” discs are done with pads, even if the discs are ok.

Honestly, I don’t know how this industry gets away with it.

Anyway, pleased it’s out the way for another year, I’ll get the rear pads done (they do need doing) at a local independent- quoted £216 for brembos.

The car is still a joy to drive and own.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13215 on: 22 November 2023, 20:29 »
Same for me next month🤞🤞
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13216 on: 22 November 2023, 21:15 »
Still enjoying the car, Adam?

Mine is ageing well. Bit of white worm on 2 alloys, a couple of superficial scratches but otherwise mint.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13217 on: 23 November 2023, 02:59 »
Still enjoying the car, Adam?

Mine is ageing well. Bit of white worm on 2 alloys, a couple of superficial scratches but otherwise mint.

Same as yourself, couple of small stone chips and a nasty wheel scuff a couple of months ago that I got re-cut and lacquered, apart from that, immaculate. I’ve only done 23k and have zero intention of changing, love the car.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13218 on: 23 November 2023, 11:31 »
@Adam T7 @Yusee I was looking into Nasiol Temporoad to coat diamond cut alloys over the winter period, it might interest you both, as it lays down a thick ppf like barrier to protect from stone chips, might help protect from whiteworm until we're out of the salt season.

https://www.nasiol.com/temporoad-temporary-liquid-film/
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13219 on: 23 November 2023, 13:15 »
Thanks for the suggestion willni.

I’d read about white worm on the forum but hadn’t really appreciated how it can spread to disfigure the alloy.
Never kerbed them so I can only assume from stone chips.

I’ll look at repair at some point- to get the car into showroom condition- bit it doesn’t bother me too much at the minute