Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785000 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12730 on: 30 January 2023, 18:43 »
Washed and waxed. That'll probably last a good few hours before it's filthy again!

Looking at getting some new locking wheelnuts as the ones supplied by wheelbase alloys 1. Have started to rust and 2. Don't fit conventional wheelnut covers. (maybe some causation there)

Looks great! I have the same issue with my bolts not fitting covers, but they're black so it's a middle ground compromise.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12731 on: 30 January 2023, 18:51 »
My paddles are things of exquisite beauty and bring me much pride and joy.
My watch cost £30 10 years ago but I do understand why others would spend more on a much nicer watch, presumably for the same reasons as I feel about my paddles!

Turning to use, I flick down gears when washing off speed in the same way as on a manual I might have changed down as well as braking. Old school but involving. Oh, just to explain that I passed my test in 1968 when disc brakes were a rarity and you had to use your gears to slow the bloody things down.

Anyway, I also flick down a gear if going into a roundabout without stopping as I know the car will hold my preferred gear through and out the other side, no matter what throttle opening, unlike the DSG Drive mode which can’t make up its mind whether it’s Arthur or Martha as they used to say.

But most of all I 100% of the time use it when overtaking to give amazing passing power. I also like the fact I can flick up and down the box without my wife, as nervous passenger, noticing. If the overtaking slot doesn’t look safe, just flick up again, then down when ready. Changes are astonishingly fast as we all know.

In summary, I couldn’t really warm to DSG (my first auto) until I learned to use the paddles and also sometimes to lock it in manual when for example going up a long motorway incline when dropping it manually from 7 to 6 cuts out the “drone” and makes the car feel much happier at a steady uphill 70.

Sooooo, my point is (I think) that in 4 years of ownership, if I use the paddles on average 5 times a day, the use/cost analysis makes me feel good!

Howzat?

I also use the paddles regularly in my Polo GTI+.

I started using them very soon after getting the car. It was the roundabout scenario that prompted me to use them initially as I disliked the way the DSG changed up gears while going round the roundabout rather than holding my preferred gear. I use them at some point on pretty much every journey now.

I’ve still got the OEM paddle shifters because I like the illuminated + and - symbols on the paddles. I’ve never experienced any other type of paddle shifters as this is my first DSG.

My first car was an original Mini back in 1977 with drum brakes all round, so I know where you’re coming from regarding using the gears to help slow the car down :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12732 on: 30 January 2023, 19:28 »
I now have a New Year’s resolution:
Use the paddles.

It’ll distract me from that godawful bonging anyway.

I always used the gears to assist deceleration in my manuals too. Not from high engine speeds, just sequentially coming down the gears whilst off the throttle at low RPM’s.
The main benefit of this was reducing brake dust as cleaning wheels is a horrid job!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #12733 on: 30 January 2023, 19:35 »
I realise this is going off the post topic so will make this my last response on DSG.

I actually started a topic about 3 years ago on the debate of engine braking (“over run”) versus braking and got different points of view including the danger of placing too much strain on the DSG transmission.

I drive briskly but not harshly and treat the car like a baby. I feel I can achieve a balance between mechanical sympathy and using what a GTI offers.

So I use the car’s capabilities carefully but to the full when appropriate.

I get the impression from OPs that I am typical of GTI owners, certainly on this forum, who tend to look after their cars significantly better than the Average Joe.

Anyway, I will desist and return this brilliant thread rightfully to the topic “What Have You Done To Your Mk7 Today”
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12734 on: 30 January 2023, 21:10 »
@P6GTD, it’s as interesting to hear how people drive their mk7s as it is to hear what they do to them.

I’m with you on the mechanical sympathy thing.

God only knows what people get out of launching their vehicles.

Today, I drove to work and back in my mk7.5 and attempted perfectly rev matched downshifts with a blip of the throttle. Very satisfying.

I don’t think the manual box on these cars gets enough praise. The gear shift is sweet.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12735 on: 31 January 2023, 07:21 »
@P6GTD, it’s as interesting to hear how people drive their mk7s as it is to hear what they do to them.

I’m with you on the mechanical sympathy thing.

God only knows what people get out of launching their vehicles.

Today, I drove to work and back in my mk7.5 and attempted perfectly rev matched downshifts with a blip of the throttle. Very satisfying.

I don’t think the manual box on these cars gets enough praise. The gear shift is sweet.

I'm also mechanically sympathetic so it was worse when someone tried to tell me when the coolant hits 90 the engine is warm and you can go full throttle....

I've only drove a prefacelift gti in the manual and it was a great experience, I'd happily take either box at this point.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2023, 14:13 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #12736 on: 31 January 2023, 11:14 »
The above is the reason I have oil temp permanently on display in the infotainment centre.
Not that I thrash it as soon as the oil nudges 90 degrees but it’s nice to know the engine is at its operating temperature.
Reason coolant hits 90 so fast is the jacket on the exhaust manifold.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2023, 11:16 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline breezasib

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12737 on: 01 February 2023, 14:00 »
Put back in the under-seat draws that came out of my old lease 2016 GTI MK7. The screws and speed nuts had gone a bit rusty so had to order a new set.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #12738 on: 01 February 2023, 20:39 »
Replaced the plastic top on spare my key fob with a gti chrome top. Not sure if both should have had the chrome top from new?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12739 on: 01 February 2023, 20:52 »
All five of the ones I had were fitted with chrome trims on both keys.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner