Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785042 times)

Online SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12620 on: 05 December 2022, 23:15 »
Had a new Pilkington windscreen fitted by Auto Windscreens. The original got hit by a stone that came off a concrete mixer lorry that I had the misfortune of being stuck behind a couple of weeks ago. It looks like they have done a good job, recalibrated the adas too.

Just for future reference you can request OEM glass from windscreen fitters, it just takes a little longer for the insurance company to authorise it.

I think some insurance companies apply a higher glass excess for OEM glass because it costs them more. So if OEM glass is important to a car owner, depending on their insurance company’s approach to OEM v’s non-OEM, they could end up paying a higher excess.

I seem to remember OEM v’s non-OEM being discussed before. I may be wrong but I seem to remember the majority of car glass - OEM and non-OEM - is made by either Pilkington or Saint Gobain to the same spec in the same factories. If so, then non-OEM should be as good as OEM. Having said that, I’ve also read of some owners experiencing issues with screen mounted sensors after having a non-OEM screen installed.

Would I be happy with a non-OEM screen? Provided the functionality of any screen mounted sensors worked as they should, I’d have no issues at all with a non-VW branded screen.

« Last Edit: 06 December 2022, 07:06 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12621 on: 06 December 2022, 15:07 »
Had a new Pilkington windscreen fitted by Auto Windscreens. The original got hit by a stone that came off a concrete mixer lorry that I had the misfortune of being stuck behind a couple of weeks ago. It looks like they have done a good job, recalibrated the adas too.

Just for future reference you can request OEM glass from windscreen fitters, it just takes a little longer for the insurance company to authorise it.

I think some insurance companies apply a higher glass excess for OEM glass because it costs them more. So if OEM glass is important to a car owner, depending on their insurance company’s approach to OEM v’s non-OEM, they could end up paying a higher excess.

I seem to remember OEM v’s non-OEM being discussed before. I may be wrong but I seem to remember the majority of car glass - OEM and non-OEM - is made by either Pilkington or Saint Gobain to the same spec in the same factories. If so, then non-OEM should be as good as OEM. Having said that, I’ve also read of some owners experiencing issues with screen mounted sensors after having a non-OEM screen installed.

Would I be happy with a non-OEM screen? Provided the functionality of any screen mounted sensors worked as they should, I’d have no issues at all with a non-VW branded screen.

There's an argument there for OEM vs aftermarket parts in general. I like OEM glass as there can often be differences in tint colours, I viewed a mk5 GTI before and it had green glass all round apart from a rear side window which was bright blue.

Also my windscreen excess remained £75 for both OEM and aftermarket glass options.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12622 on: 06 December 2022, 20:12 »
The only difference in glass is one has a VW logo and the other doesn't. They are all made by either Pilkington or Saint Gobain.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12623 on: 08 December 2022, 12:03 »
Swapped my Brescias for my Belvederes last night, new tyres to go on Brescias in a few weeks (delays) so at least they'll be ready for slightly after spring.

Clay barred, decontaminated and coated the Belvederes and calipers in Gyeon Rim, kept the 12/15mm spacers on as well, and washed the visible suspension components and reapplied Built Hammer Dynax.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline AHAgolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12624 on: 08 December 2022, 16:32 »
Changed the bulbs in the cornering lights. It’s always bothered me that the cornering lights are much more yellow than the headlights as they are standard H7 bulbs. I found some 5500K xenon gas halogen H7’s on Amazon and they are almost an exact match colour wise to the headlights. Much better!

First pic is with cornering lights on, second is off. It was dark but my phone has an infuriatingly good night mode!

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #12625 on: 09 December 2022, 09:17 »
Changed the bulbs in the cornering lights. It’s always bothered me that the cornering lights are much more yellow than the headlights as they are standard H7 bulbs. I found some 5500K xenon gas halogen H7’s on Amazon and they are almost an exact match colour wise to the headlights. Much better!

First pic is with cornering lights on, second is off. It was dark but my phone has an infuriatingly good night mode!

The yellow glare when cornering niggled too so I OBD'd the foglight to come on as well.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #12626 on: 10 December 2022, 09:32 »
The only difference in glass is one has a VW logo and the other doesn't. They are all made by either Pilkington or Saint Gobain.

Well, the non-OEM heated screen in my Caravelle takes longer to de-ice that the original one, plus it leaves a couple of un-thawed strips that I have to wait until they have completely gone before setting off as the cold airflow just refreezes them. So I'd say there was a quality difference too.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #12627 on: 10 December 2022, 10:06 »
Swapped my Brescias for my Belvederes last night, new tyres to go on Brescias in a few weeks (delays) so at least they'll be ready for slightly after spring.

Clay barred, decontaminated and coated the Belvederes and calipers in Gyeon Rim, kept the 12/15mm spacers on as well, and washed the visible suspension components and reapplied Built Hammer Dynax.

Those wheels are to good to use for winter

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12628 on: 10 December 2022, 12:43 »
Those wheels are to good to use for winter

Light and thin just what winter calls for!

I also got 4 PS4S' put on today, so I'll give them a clean and ceramic coat them in a few weeks.

« Last Edit: 11 December 2022, 14:38 by willni »

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #12629 on: 11 December 2022, 18:53 »
Fitted my winter wheels and tyres, just in time for the snow