Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785005 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12330 on: 15 July 2022, 10:38 »
Paid it off! It's all mine now!

Toyed with the idea of changing, and may still do, but ultimately nothing is taking my fancy at the moment enough to get into another finance deal.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12331 on: 15 July 2022, 11:30 »

Toyed with the idea of changing, and may still do, but ultimately nothing is taking my fancy at the moment enough to get into another finance deal.

Congratulations!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12332 on: 15 July 2022, 11:59 »

Congratulations!

Thanks! Now I'm torn about something else - if I'm going to keep it longer term, there are some mods I would like to do, but any modifications will lower resale, so if I don't keep it long enough, then I will end up effectively paying for the mods twice over (or more)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12333 on: 15 July 2022, 14:16 »

Congratulations!

Thanks! Now I'm torn about something else - if I'm going to keep it longer term, there are some mods I would like to do, but any modifications will lower resale, so if I don't keep it long enough, then I will end up effectively paying for the mods twice over (or more)

Life's too short. If you really want to and can afford to, just do it. Most mods are reversible. What have you got in mind?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12334 on: 15 July 2022, 15:46 »
Lowering on Eibach Pro kit springs
Spacers or maybe new wheels
Front splitter, rear diffuser, spoiler extension, side skirts
Rear sway bar

All the above are reversible

Currently have a JB4. Stage 1 tune is something I'm maybe thinking about, although I'm not sure if it's worth the outlay over the JB4 (never driven a Stage 1 car). I have to say I haven't been blown away with the JB4, I think the majority of the performance increase is at the top end which is hard to reach on the road. Maybe a Stg 1 tune is different?

I'd like to improve the sound as well. If I were to, then I might instead skip Stage 1 and add a downpipe, going to stage 2 with a TCU tune on top.

Obviously, I think the tune is the sticking point. It's reversible, but I would feel a bit guilty selling a car that's had a harder life than standard. Warranty is already gone though.

The idea is to basically reignite my passion for the car as the more I drive it, the more I just feel like I'm driving a Golf vs some of the other more aggressive cars I looked at changing to. Unfortunately, the two areas that were tempting me towards something like an M2C the most were engine note and drivetrain, which no amount of modding would change!!

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12335 on: 15 July 2022, 15:48 »

Those look sensational, pretty much exactly what I want. Shame anything Remus is a pretty penny.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12336 on: 15 July 2022, 15:55 »

Congratulations!

Do the mods, paying to play is more fun!

Those look sensational, pretty much exactly what I want. Shame anything Remus is a pretty penny.

It actually was the same price as the Milltek offering, and would've been much cheaper if I chose normal tips  :wink: It's my first Remus usually I got BCS Powervalve but they didn't have any for the gpf gti.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12337 on: 15 July 2022, 16:01 »

Congratulations!

Do the mods, paying to play is more fun!

It actually was the same price as the Milltek offering, and would've been much cheaper if I chose normal tips  :wink: It's my first Remus usually I got BCS Powervalve but they didn't have any for the gpf gti.

You're a bad influence, I can tell, so I'm going to take anything you say with a pinch of salt

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12338 on: 15 July 2022, 18:23 »
Lowering on Eibach Pro kit springs
Spacers or maybe new wheels
Front splitter, rear diffuser, spoiler extension, side skirts
Rear sway bar

All the above are reversible

Currently have a JB4. Stage 1 tune is something I'm maybe thinking about, although I'm not sure if it's worth the outlay over the JB4 (never driven a Stage 1 car). I have to say I haven't been blown away with the JB4, I think the majority of the performance increase is at the top end which is hard to reach on the road. Maybe a Stg 1 tune is different?

I'd like to improve the sound as well. If I were to, then I might instead skip Stage 1 and add a downpipe, going to stage 2 with a TCU tune on top.

Obviously, I think the tune is the sticking point. It's reversible, but I would feel a bit guilty selling a car that's had a harder life than standard. Warranty is already gone though.

The idea is to basically reignite my passion for the car as the more I drive it, the more I just feel like I'm driving a Golf vs some of the other more aggressive cars I looked at changing to. Unfortunately, the two areas that were tempting me towards something like an M2C the most were engine note and drivetrain, which no amount of modding would change!!

I would suggest that a standard car driven unsympathetically on a daily basis with proper servicing skimped on would be a far worse bet than a cherised car albeit modified.

I agree with your reasoning, after the honeymoon period you need to spice things up now and then!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12339 on: 15 July 2022, 19:33 »
Sort of ties in with the discussion, recently went to view an Audi A3 Quattro on 120-130k miles, serviced how I would service cars every 6k miles.

You would have thought it was on 30k miles, it was buttery smooth and solid as a tank with no rattles. With an honest owner that pointed out all the bad bits, no reason to haggle apart from it being due a major service in the next month.

This was all preceded by a mk6 golf gtd on 50k miles that was a rusty lemon, dodgy engine and 50 shades of one colour and a shifty owner.

Moral is people will assess a car on its own merit not the modifications...and Watts likes it spicy, but that's none of our business  :whistle:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/