Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784999 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12210 on: 29 April 2022, 14:20 »
It’s a yes from me LSB  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12211 on: 29 April 2022, 17:29 »
It’s a yes from me LSB  :cool:

And me too. Look forward to seeing a picture or two of them on the car.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12212 on: 29 April 2022, 20:39 »
Relocated my car 250 or so miles west to Cornwall.

Jamaica Inn and a TCR, a great combo shot, as a Cornishman and fellow TCR owner i might be a little bit biased  :grin:
I was down in Cornwall in March visiting the folks (halfway between Truro & St.Austell) and i'm heading back down there in June. Normally i avoid Cornwall like the plague in the summer but i'm farm sitting for a few days so needs must!
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12213 on: 30 April 2022, 12:51 »
I decided I'm keeping GTI for at least extra 2 years so went big with servicing.

The car is 3year old and at 35k miles.
- Major service with spark plugs pollen
- DSG service even tho it's not needed until 80K  :evil:
- Aircon service
- Brake fluid
- Front differential oil
- MOT
- All in plan eligibility check 
Plus some warranty issues until the warranty is in place until Sunday
- Door cards insulated and under bonnet heat shield changed no questions asked.
The car is in excellent condition according to the dealer and feels so much smoother after all this :)
Happy to be in GTI for longer   :evil: I don't know how was I even contemplating downgrading and after being in Polo 1.0 for 4 days  I know its not going to happen  :wink:

« Last Edit: 30 April 2022, 13:51 by Aparat »

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #12214 on: 30 April 2022, 13:16 »
Mine also coming up for 3 years and 11500 miles. Minor service, brake fluid change next week plus underbonnet insulation warranty check as shrunk again! MOT at end of June. Loving the car and using as 'Sunday Best' at present. Cetainly won't be changing for a few years yet. Mk6 Gti still the everyday runaround and continues to be a fun drive but with a few rattles started with the roads in the state they are. Might be a problem to find them though. :sad:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12215 on: 30 April 2022, 15:10 »
New wheel day.

Bola B16 8.5jx19 et45 in Crystal silver. (The fitment is absolutely great. My only slight niggle is the fronts are maybe 1 or 2 mm further out than I'd choose, but it's a very fine margin.

I took the opportunity while the wheels were off to give the arches and brake callipers a scrub, and also to hammerite the very rusty hubs as the thinner spoked wheels would show them off horrendously.

Incidentally does anybody have any tips for getting the car up on axle stands at the front? I could find anywhere suitable to put the jack that left room to slot the axle stand in once it was up. Or do I need the audi jacking points to do it safely? Ended up doing the fronts one wheel at a time on the jack in the boot.

And the final product!

I'm absolutely in love with them, they make the car look so much better than the stock wheels. This was mainly an aesthetic upgrade for me, and honestly I was slightly terrified I was going to ruin the ride with the 19s and wider tyres. I did go for goodyear eagle F1 asy5 though as they seem to be well rated and I hoped the upgrade from the Bridgestone would offset the loss in comfort from the wheel size increase.

The conclusion: My lord. It's a completely different car. It feels no less comfortable than on the 18s, the tyre noise is noticeably quieter than the Bridgestones (something that disappointed me about the car when I bought it) but most of all, the handling is out of this world. It feels like I've fitted a differential not new wheels. Before the car always felt hesitant in the corners, almost like it was going to roll over, and I've always thought that even my OH's 2007 fiesta felt more sure of itsself. With the new wheels and tyres it feels like it's on rails. I can feel the outside front tyre driving me through the corner and it's much flatter, whereas before it felt like the tyres were hanging on for dear life.

Plans now are to fit mud flaps which are currently in the post (the wider wheels means they poke out slightly around the side skirts and want some protection from mud and gravel being flung all up the side of the car) and also I'm very tempted by some eibach pro lowering springs, as the 19s lift the ride height slightly compared to the 18s.

I never really believed all the hype about tyres, and was honestly expecting to feel no difference, and regret spending the extra. I could not stop smiling on the first drive, it now looks and drives like a proper GTI. I can't put it all down to the tyres of course, with so many variables having changed such as wheel diameter, wheel width, tyre profile, wheel weight, age of tyres etc, but whatever it is, I bl**dy love it.
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #12216 on: 30 April 2022, 16:25 »
Looks great LSBristol.  :smiley:
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12217 on: 30 April 2022, 16:28 »
The conclusion: My lord. It's a completely different car. It feels no less comfortable than on the 18s, the tyre noise is noticeably quieter than the Bridgestones (something that disappointed me about the car when I bought it) but most of all, the handling is out of this world. It feels like I've fitted a differential not new wheels. Before the car always felt hesitant in the corners, almost like it was going to roll over, and I've always thought that even my OH's 2007 fiesta felt more sure of itsself. With the new wheels and tyres it feels like it's on rails. I can feel the outside front tyre driving me through the corner and it's much flatter, whereas before it felt like the tyres were hanging on for dear life.

I never really believed all the hype about tyres, and was honestly expecting to feel no difference, and regret spending the extra. I could not stop smiling on the first drive, it now looks and drives like a proper GTI. I can't put it all down to the tyres of course, with so many variables having changed such as wheel diameter, wheel width, tyre profile, wheel weight, age of tyres etc, but whatever it is, I bl**dy love it.

Thanks for the tyre review, I shall consider those along with the Michelins when the time comes.

The wheels look much better btw, cracking job :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12218 on: 30 April 2022, 16:45 »
Jamaica Inn and a TCR, a great combo shot, as a Cornishman and fellow TCR owner i might be a little bit biased  :grin:
I was down in Cornwall in March visiting the folks (halfway between Truro & St.Austell) and i'm heading back down there in June. Normally i avoid Cornwall like the plague in the summer but i'm farm sitting for a few days so needs must!

:laugh:

We had a great time in Cornwall! Had a bit of bother getting super unleaded though, drove nearly half an hour to get some Momentum 99 only to find the garage shut :angry: Had to put some Esso 97 in at £1.82 a litre!

Car was absolutely spot on, love joining the big A roads where there was the shortest of slip roads so you have to do a near standing start, cars were kindly pulling into the fast lane but after giving it a good poke on the loud pedal, they never even caught me. My new childish game!

Great drive home on Thursday then yesterday down to see friends in Weymouth, back this morning when we stopped off at Brooklands Museum in Weybridge for Italian Car day. Great to see all the really fancy metal (and carbon fibre) out but, perhaps it's my age but Ferraris and Lamborghinis (at least the modern ones) just don't do it for me like they used to. Some of the older ones were rather special, one of the best today and possibly the rarest was an Iso Grifo, a beast from the 60s, special to me as I had a Corgi model as a nipper.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12219 on: 30 April 2022, 17:05 »
@LSBristol; I think the new wheels really suit the mk7.5 GTI and IMHO they have an OEM look about them. I think they’re much nicer than the Parkers they replace and the added bonus is they’re not diamond cut, so no issues with white worm corrosion.

Any increase in ride height as a result of moving from 18’s and 225/40 R18’s to 19’s and 235/35 R19’s will be small - just under 5mm. It might appear more than that initially as the suspension will have extended while you had the car jacked up as it wasn’t supporting the weight of the car. It should settle back to normal, so worth waiting before considering whether or not to get lowering springs.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl