Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785046 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11940 on: 17 December 2021, 15:33 »
I LOVE these seats, where did you get them and how much?  :laugh:

That’s great Jason.
You have a well specced car too. If I had realised I would be keeping my car much longer than I ever planned I would have specced up quite a bit.
I always remember the advice “ once you have bought something you forget how much it cost but you live with the decisions you made”
For a start I think I would have specced Arts Velour.
But as a former PM was fond of saying “we are where we are” and it’s still a great car. A keeper I think.

Don't worry P6, you can always upgrade!

Not me unfortunately a guy I came across on Instagram in New Zealand doing mk7 gti and R36 builds. They’re just the standard mk5/mk6/mk7 wingbacks then custom upholstered to art velour style, which I think is quite possibly the nicest style. I also came across mk7.5 perforated leather ones as well which looked fantastic.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #11941 on: 20 December 2021, 15:17 »
Fifth service done by the supplying dealer and fifth VW stamp in the service book...  :cool:

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11942 on: 20 December 2021, 19:27 »
Fifth service done by the supplying dealer and fifth VW stamp in the service book...  :cool:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a white Edition 40 is the nicest of all the mk7/7.5's
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #11943 on: 20 December 2021, 23:55 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, a white Edition 40 is the nicest of all the mk7/7.5's

Can't argue with that... :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11944 on: 21 December 2021, 11:48 »
Service and MOT done today. Went to an indie for the first time. The price they had quoted me on the phone was much cheaper than the main dealer, so I was pleased with that. Dropped the car off and they phoned me about an hour later saying that the car was also due brake fluid and spark plugs, which I hadn't been expecting. I told them fine, go ahead and do it, but I'm now wishing I hadn't... £100 for the spark plugs! I have the tools to do it and they're about 40 quid online. Hey ho, one of those things. £369 in all for minor service, brake fluid change, spark plugs and MOT. Does that sound about right to people here?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11945 on: 21 December 2021, 11:59 »
Service and MOT done today. Went to an indie for the first time. The price they had quoted me on the phone was much cheaper than the main dealer, so I was pleased with that. Dropped the car off and they phoned me about an hour later saying that the car was also due brake fluid and spark plugs, which I hadn't been expecting. I told them fine, go ahead and do it, but I'm now wishing I hadn't... £100 for the spark plugs! I have the tools to do it and they're about 40 quid online. Hey ho, one of those things. £369 in all for minor service, brake fluid change, spark plugs and MOT. Does that sound about right to people here?

VW Minor Service is £184, Brake Fluid change is £39, Spark plugs £40 + 5 mins of time? We don't have the same MOT over here as you do in England but ours is £30ish.

Which Indie did you use?

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11946 on: 21 December 2021, 12:17 »
I took it to Quattro-Tech in St Ives, Cambs, who by all accounts are a big saving over the main dealer. I will have to check what work has been done, as I thought it seemed like a lot as well. The price for the minor service that the receptionist gave me over the phone was about 145, and the MOT was 45, so I was expecting about 190. With the extra stuff on top, I would've thought it was probably going to be 250-260, but maybe it was a major service it needed. I must confess to not being sure, so when I dropped it off the guy said they would find out from the service book and age of the vehicle.

Previously I have had it serviced at the dealer because I had a service plan. The car started dinging at me for this service earlier than expected, so I had had a thought that the service interval hadn't been set properly. Maybe something else was buggered as well.

I will get back to you with the more info when I find out

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11947 on: 21 December 2021, 13:32 »
So sure enough it's had a major service and there was no record of it having anything done last year, so thanks, VW, nice work. Pretty sure it should have been a major one done last year but VW have totally ballsed it up. I had a feeling that something was up when the car said the service was due after 10 months an ~6000 miles.

I don't know what spark plugs they've fitted - I told them I thought it was expected and he said he'd done them basically at cost (!!) as to him they cost 92.50. He said they are the genuine parts which have the warranty as well. At that price I'll be praying they go wrong to get my money's worth!!

So it was indeed cheaper than the dealer, who would have been around 400 for the service and the MOT. I'll definitely be doing my spark plugs myself next time though. Part of the reason I gave them the ok was so I had a full record for if I change the car next year, but VW unbeknownst to me had ended that in 2019 when they didn't mark the service!

When I pick the car up I can see the exact work done

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11948 on: 21 December 2021, 15:39 »
So all in all, major service and MOT done, spark plugs changed, brake fluid etc. I told the guy on the phone that I thought it was a lot of money when he explained everything. When I turned up to pay, he took away the charge for the brake fluid change, which was kind. MOT has raised advisories as the brakes all round. Guess that's what I'm saving up for next year!

Have a good Christmas all!

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11949 on: 21 December 2021, 17:44 »
Eventually got the brake fluid changed today. Also went for another tyre rotation for the next few months, probably the last rotation before another set of boots needed.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI