Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785087 times)

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10870 on: 31 October 2020, 14:20 »
A thing of beauty. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. £ 5700 in 1981 ( that’s 22k in today’s money)

I wonder whether the mk7 will look as good in 40 years time?

Thanks for posting the MK1 image, I agree it is such an iconic car and takes me back to my first proper car, a 1984 Campaign GTI in Helios Blue.

Regarding the MK7, I reckon the design is very clean and like the MK1 in many respects, with the right spec and model good examples will be much sought after in future years.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10871 on: 31 October 2020, 14:46 »
A thing of beauty. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. £ 5700 in 1981 ( that’s 22k in today’s money)

I wonder whether the mk7 will look as good in 40 years time?

Thanks for posting the MK1 image, I agree it is such an iconic car and takes me back to my first proper car, a 1984 Campaign GTI in Helios Blue.

Regarding the MK7, I reckon the design is very clean and like the MK1 in many respects, with the right spec and model good examples will be much sought after in future years.

The MK7 doesn't feel like a timeless classic, with its obvious cost cutting it is the flimsiest VAG I have ever owned. BMW still manage to build cars tgat feel solid. Saving 23kg with those much thinner body panels was VW shooting themselves in the foot IMO.

I think the MK5 GTI has a far better chance of being a classic, the last properly mechanical Golf, built as solidly as a VW should be.

As much as I like the MK1 Golf, I'd rather have a MK2 16v GTI.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10872 on: 31 October 2020, 16:11 »
That Mk1 looks amazing! Crazy how small they look now. Great photo.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10873 on: 31 October 2020, 22:54 »
Anybody's guess as to what will look good 30 or 40 years down the line. But I would agree with Paul70 that the mk7 has a good chance of standing the test of time well.
@monkeyhanger, in considering what may become a design classic, I don't think build quality has any bearing. The Peugeot 205 is a design classic!
@king monkey, yeah I was pleased with the pic, I had to share it!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #10874 on: 01 November 2020, 12:45 »
I wonder just how much computer hardware and software will limit future classic cars?

Those aren't components you can readily replicate. Mechanical bits someone can always copy, computers not so much.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10875 on: 01 November 2020, 13:40 »
I wonder just how much computer hardware and software will limit future classic cars?

Those aren't components you can readily replicate. Mechanical bits someone can always copy, computers not so much.

That was part of my point Fred, I could see so many cars getting to 10+ years old and being written off because a box of electronics has blown and costs £3k to replace. You can't just go down to the scrapyard because the box is is tied to your ECU etc.  What's a 10 year old Golf GTI worth in good condition these days? £3-4k?

I do think a lot of these classic hot hatch sales we've seen recently are driven mainly by 2 factors:-

1. A desire for the simplicity of a small, nimble, fully mechanical car, no intrusive electronic intervention/oversight. Easy to fix up yourself - DIY is part of that experience for many if not most who are running classic cars.

2. Nostalgia. Many of those old hot hatches were bought nearly new by 18-25 year olds who are now 40-50 year old and being tempted to relive their youth in the car they used to have.

Considering how much these cars cost now and the cross sectional age of owners we have here, a nearly new MK7 GTI/R is well out of reach of most 18-25 year olds.  You'll have current 40 year olds driving these cars possibly getting that nostalgic itch in their late 60s, following the same formula. Not only that, the Golf is a generously sized family car now, not some nimble little go-cart of a car. Modern mid sized hot hatches are nowhere near as fun as an 80s/90s hot hatch, despite being massively more powerful - they're pretty sensible cars and are so powerful now, you've got 5-8 seconds of hard acceleration and then you're in license losing territory.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #10876 on: 01 November 2020, 14:17 »
I'd expect a 10 year old GTi in good condition to be at least £6k to £7k, possibly a fair bit more than that if it's low mileage and completely unmolested. 10 years old is Mk6 territory and really not that far off the pace of the early Mk7 in terms of interior and tech.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2020, 14:19 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10877 on: 01 November 2020, 14:30 »
That Mk 1 is just a thing of beauty - what the heck would that be worth now??

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10878 on: 01 November 2020, 14:54 »
That Mk 1 is just a thing of beauty - what the heck would that be worth now??

Well, I saw an immaculate Mk1 recently up for £30k. Gulp!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10879 on: 01 November 2020, 15:49 »
My guess would be around 30k for the mk1 in that photo.

I think nostalgia will be a very marginal factor driving interest in these cars. And anyway, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

The main factors will be the other things MH mentions.

What particularly struck me about this mk1 was how good it looked at a time when most are saying how ugly the latest generation is.

Btw Peugeot are offering factory restored 205s from their Souchaux factory, with new parts being produced for components no longer made.

« Last Edit: 01 November 2020, 18:24 by Yusee »
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.