Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10800 on: 09 October 2020, 20:04 »
Today I test drove a TCR.

How did you find it compared with your R? (I've not driven an R).

Honestly I’m a bit confused. I love a gti, especially a special Ed so it reminded me massively of my ed35. Real sense of purpose. It terms of the drive it felt very similar in lots of ways to the R bit nowhere as quick. That’s not a negative but just an observation. It reacquainted me with my old friend, wheel spin. I quite enjoyed that bit!
Definitely lighter and the front turns in far sharper. It wasn’t a long drive and I had to go down back roads as it was rush hour (if that exists anymore). Tbf the dealer said I could come back again to have another go. Hmmmm
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10801 on: 09 October 2020, 20:07 »
Oh and it had the akra exhaust which seemed very quite but then again the car hadn’t done 4k miles. Pure grey, 19s and pan roof.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10802 on: 09 October 2020, 20:23 »
Obviously I can't comment on speed compared with an R, but wheelspin, mine is on 19s so it has P-Zeros and they aren't bad for grip but a little bit of damp let alone wet and the spin up far too readily. Sounds like you need another go!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10803 on: 09 October 2020, 20:27 »
Obviously I can't comment on speed compared with an R, but wheelspin, mine is on 19s so it has P-Zeros and they aren't bad for grip but a little bit of damp let alone wet and the spin up far too readily. Sounds like you need another go!

Another go? That could prove to be expensive!! :grin:

My current thinking is that I don’t really like the new hatches out there and maybe the TCR would hold better value over a longer time than most. It probably didn’t feel different enough though to warrant changing. If nothing else, I’m just glad I drove one as I never thought I would have the opportunity.
At the end of the day it’s a great car.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10804 on: 09 October 2020, 20:47 »
I think any loss on your existing car would be likely to ruin any potential gain even if the TCR holds it's value any better and I can't really see that happening. It'd be nice if it did though :whistle:

I think a change should be based on if you really want one and are happy with the cost. I wanted to but struggled with the cost to change which to me was excessive, in the end I just went with the f*ck it approach, seems to have worked out okay :laugh:. You can't take it with you!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #10805 on: 09 October 2020, 21:20 »
Well, vwfs thought back in January that the value of the tcr would fall off a cliff in the next three years. Which was the nail in the coffin for me with it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10806 on: 09 October 2020, 21:26 »
Well, vwfs thought back in January that the value of the tcr would fall off a cliff in the next three years. Which was the nail in the coffin for me with it.

Sounds promising.  :grin:

They’re going to put some figures together but I’m not going to change. Definitely not.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10807 on: 09 October 2020, 21:40 »
They’re going to put some figures together but I’m not going to change. Definitely not.

Me thinks you protest too much :grin:

Anywhere between reasonable depreciation and this seems likely! I should think about these things and act accordingly but I buy cars mostly due to want rather than need so tend to ignore the financial consequences. We have just accepted a quote to have our sofa re-upholstered (for the second time) and it would be considerably cheaper to buy a new one but we like this one and don't like waste, so there you go, no financial common sense :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10808 on: 10 October 2020, 09:03 »
Me again! On a totally different note, has anyone used Banggood.com? After waiting for a while it seems my eBay seller of the footrest was messing me around and didn’t actually have any to sell. Seen one there and wondered if they’re reliable?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10809 on: 10 October 2020, 11:52 »
Today I test drove a TCR.

How did you find it compared with your R? (I've not driven an R).

Honestly I’m a bit confused. I love a gti, especially a special Ed so it reminded me massively of my ed35. Real sense of purpose. It terms of the drive it felt very similar in lots of ways to the R bit nowhere as quick. That’s not a negative but just an observation. It reacquainted me with my old friend, wheel spin. I quite enjoyed that bit!
Definitely lighter and the front turns in far sharper. It wasn’t a long drive and I had to go down back roads as it was rush hour (if that exists anymore). Tbf the dealer said I could come back again to have another go. Hmmmm

Interesting that you found it slower.
Against a stop watch it probably is but I found the TCR had better throttle response than my R and a more even spread of torque.
Admittedly my 2015 R was a manual and second gear always felt far too low, plus it could bog down off the line on occasion.
Depends on what sort of roads the test drive was on and how hard you drove it I guess.
I can’t say I’ve ever really got anything overly positive out of a test drive in all my years as I’m too busy processing information in my head to get a true feel for the car.
I’d say do one of two things. Either get another test drive on more open sweeping roads where the TCR comes into its own or if you don’t regularly drive on roads like that then chalk the test drive down to experience and appreciate the R for all its positives. It’s still quite new so will last you a good few years until the mk8 looks less... err...

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner