Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10730 on: 22 September 2020, 10:37 »
Finished fitting the new 4" Trackslag downpipe & EU5 200 cell catalyst. This wasn't as straightforward as the Internet suggested it should be... Why? We couldn't get enough clearance to remove the OE pipe and HUGE cat. After a lot of head scratching and swearing, we realised it was the VAQ eLSD which was causing the clearance issue. Once the Haldex fluid was drained and the VAQ casing removed the OE pipe did finally come out.  :cool:

New pipe was fitted and we had a happy ending. Car now sounds like an proper GTi should even with the stock exhaust and goes like f**k! Also fitted a new aftermarket turbo inlet and silcone hose a few days prior to fitting the new downpipe. It would give an R a good run for its money, so I think I'll stop there.  :nerd:
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #10731 on: 22 September 2020, 11:45 »
Interesting Papa John...

Don't you need a Euro6 compliant one for a 2015 vehicle though?

Removing the eLSD sounds like a ball ache though!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #10732 on: 22 September 2020, 15:21 »
Had my wheel retrimmed by Royal, his work is spot on.
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10733 on: 22 September 2020, 17:16 »
Interesting Papa John...

Don't you need a Euro6 compliant one for a 2015 vehicle though?

Removing the eLSD sounds like a ball ache though!

I think Euro5 is sufficient? It certainly meets MOT requirements which is all that matters really as it's not like I need type approval or anything. eLSD wasn't too bad actually as it was just the housing that needed to be removed, 5 hex bolts. We also took the chance to give the housing a good clean out. The fluid was good to go back in as it was replaced by the stealer at my request in 2018, 3 years as per shedule. I've now ordered new Haldex fluid from Opie Oils, £18.95 for 850ml so that will be getting changed in the near future.  :kiss:

I took a trip to the scrappy today and they offered £120 for the OE Catalyser. I hummed and hawed and we agreed on £130. So that's how much yin oh them is worth, as SCRAP!  :evil: Brings the cost of the new downpipe down a little bit, most of which is the fabrication involved and the catalyser which is made in Italy.

Here it is look.  :nerd:

« Last Edit: 22 September 2020, 17:54 by Papa John »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10734 on: 22 September 2020, 17:31 »
What sort of life can you expect out a 200 cell cat?

Your mod I have to say sounds really good - I read what everyone on here writes about but this sound genuinely like a decent impact, despite the ball ache fitting it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10735 on: 22 September 2020, 18:00 »

Your mod I have to say sounds really good - I read what everyone on here writes about but this sound genuinely like a decent impact, despite the ball ache fitting it.

As it's sensibly located much further away from the turbo than the OE, a good thing for longevity of the cat, and the turbo and the motor, not so good for getting to maximum efficiency quickly to meet EU specs. Like I care about that. I guess it should last the life of the downpipe. Quite a long time indeed. You'll also note the OE flexi. Very few take the care to fit those. I've seen other lesser downpipes which have snapped in two because of that. Revo anyone...  :whistle:

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10736 on: 22 September 2020, 18:37 »
Had my wheel retrimmed by Royal, his work is spot on.

Well that looks brilliant. Just how I’d have mine done.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10737 on: 22 September 2020, 19:19 »

Well that looks brilliant. Just how I’d have mine done.

Likewise  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10738 on: 22 September 2020, 19:30 »

As it's sensibly located much further away from the turbo than the OE, a good thing for longevity of the cat, and the turbo and the motor, not so good for getting to maximum efficiency quickly to meet EU specs. Like I care about that. I guess it should last the life of the downpipe. Quite a long time indeed. You'll also note the OE flexi. Very few take the care to fit those. I've seen other lesser downpipes which have snapped in two because of that. Revo anyone...  :whistle:

I presume you need to get it through MOT? I guess you do, otherwise you'd have gone with the 100 cell.

As said before, good work though.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10739 on: 22 September 2020, 20:07 »

I presume you need to get it through MOT? I guess you do, otherwise you'd have gone with the 100 cell.

As said before, good work though.

200 cells is good for up to around 450'ish hp. Obviously, the less cells the less restrictive, but the less effective the catalyser is. 200 cells will be more than enough to pass the MOT standard. MOT is actually booked for Thusday as it expires on Friday. More on that story, later...