Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10700 on: 12 September 2020, 22:08 »
Happy to report that the seats feel exactly the same. I did it as soon as I picked the car up. Took me no time at all to apply. It’s repelled raspberry juice and fruitshoot so far. Worth every penny. Easy to apply although it does smell at first. Gone by the next day though. Going to apply it to the Up next weekend too.

The Up is only 60bhp but it’s so light it feels nippy. My wife hardly uses her car so have gone for a 2018 car with only 3700 miles on the clock. Cheap motoring. For the size of it I’m relatively impressed. In fact I’d get an Up gti if we could both have a smaller car. The salesman laughed when I pulled up in the R to test drive it!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10701 on: 13 September 2020, 09:56 »
Happy to report that the seats feel exactly the same. I did it as soon as I picked the car up. Took me no time at all to apply. It’s repelled raspberry juice and fruitshoot so far. Worth every penny. Easy to apply although it does smell at first. Gone by the next day though. Going to apply it to the Up next weekend too.

The Up is only 60bhp but it’s so light it feels nippy. My wife hardly uses her car so have gone for a 2018 car with only 3700 miles on the clock. Cheap motoring. For the size of it I’m relatively impressed. In fact I’d get an Up gti if we could both have a smaller car. The salesman laughed when I pulled up in the R to test drive it!

60bhp? That's a rocketship compared to my OH's Lupo :grin:.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10702 on: 13 September 2020, 10:15 »

60bhp? That's a rocketship compared to my OH's Lupo :grin:.

Ha ha! My wife’s Polo has the same engine but I was surprised how different it felt in the Up!

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline ChrisTCR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10703 on: 13 September 2020, 12:13 »
Well thats my experience with the TCR nearly over, I got the trade in price that I wanted on Saturday so in 10 days or so it will be gone.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10704 on: 13 September 2020, 16:21 »
Well thats my experience with the TCR nearly over, I got the trade in price that I wanted on Saturday so in 10 days or so it will be gone.

What are you replacing it with?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #10705 on: 14 September 2020, 08:25 »
Well the past weekend actually. I know there have been a ton of threads over MPG and the like and that performance petrol cars aren't bought for economy, but this one really surprised me. Middle of last week, the wife and I travelled down from Cheshire to our best friends near Swansea, and then back on Saturday afternoon.

What's really surprised me is that most of you know me as a quite a sedate driver, but as we decided to go the back mountain roads, it was the first time I'd properly given the GTI a good thrashing. The first 70 miles or so were on the M56, M53, A55 then down the A483. Plenty of slower moving trucks and caravans for the GTI to overtake (safely of course). Then the further we got into mid wales, the more twisty and mountainous the roads became, with lots of 3rd gear bends and hairpins, and plenty of long slogs up steep hills and then long downhill sections, (really testing the braking).

This journey was to see our friends (responsibly socially distancing of course) so MPG and economy were the last things on my mind. If anything the journey back was even harder for the car as I just wanted to get back. Imagine my surprise then when I checked the overall economy on returning for the full tank (expecting it to be around the 35-36 mark which I'd have been happy with), and saw over 45mpg ! Incredible for the power on tap. I did the same journey 3 years ago in my then 2016 GTD, and for the whole trip only averaged 51.2mpg - so the GTI is just 6 mpg behind ! I'm pretty sure if i'd have used my usual sedate driving style without the overtakes etc. it would have been nudging near 50mpg.

Here's the route (from VW We Connect app)

And the overall figures

« Last Edit: 14 September 2020, 08:28 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #10706 on: 14 September 2020, 09:40 »
My last couple of outings are seeing the MPG from my GTD really go super high - I guess its a combination of the right air temperature and that traffic is much lighter than I have ever seen.

I went round the western side of the M25 at "rush hour" the other day and absolutely no snarl ups at all.

61mpg no problem :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10707 on: 14 September 2020, 12:15 »
Finally bought myself a dsg footrest. Been meaning to do it for ages. £17. eBay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10708 on: 16 September 2020, 19:16 »
Having a busy week driving, last weekend visiting family in Norfolk, some lovely driving there. Back on Monday then Tuesday we went to a National Trust housd in Wolverhampton (5 hours driving), Wightwick Manor if anyone is interested, an amazing Arts and Crafts house with a phenomenal art and ceramics collection. Then today, we drove to a little village in Wiltshire called Urchfont as my OH had traced some early to mid 19thC ancestors there, in particular Moses Mower the mole catcher who was frequently up in front of the beak for fighting with his brother in the street after a night in the pub... Now we are outside Bristol staying over at a rather nice hotel before visiting another National Trust property tomorrow called Tyntesfield followed by a drive home to west London. The TCR is proving an excellent tourer, comfortable, fun and economical :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline ChrisTCR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10709 on: 16 September 2020, 20:42 »

What are you replacing it with?

An M2 competition.