Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10601 on: 18 August 2020, 12:16 »
I don't know how I feel about the 128ti.... as I said it needs to be significantly cheaper in my mind, but not sure how BMW are going to achieve that while keeping the rest.

I say that because what I loved about my 2 Mk7 GTD's I've had is that apart from the engine, I've had the same car as a GTI or an R.

That is the sweet thing about the Mk7 - choose the engine, but the rest remains the same.

But that is because VW had the concept of "performance golf" with a family of vehicles within in.

The 128ti:

Even though it will have all the goodies an M Performance model has, the new model will not be sold as such, probably in an attempt to keep the M135i unchallenged at the top of the food chain.

So does that mean the rest of the package is there.... doesn't sound like it to me.

The 118i already is not very close to the M135i in terms of spec - its not just an engine difference. Its more akin to a non-performance Golf.... and I fear the 128ti will be the same.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10602 on: 18 August 2020, 16:19 »
Pulled the trigger on a new BMW M135i.

Congrats Stevie!
That’s a brave interior choice, very Germanic and very BMW! Have you seen the Magma in the flesh?

Where did you order from in the end?

Very nice!

I see android auto has arrived at bmw now.

I also note that the 128ti might even be a thing, 260ps and fwd....

Not sure when, but definitely a thing and pitched head on as a "golf gti"

Would need to be four to five thousand quid rrp less than the m135i though and I'm not sure that's likely.

But where and how do BMW pitch the 128ti?

Audi have had a Golf GTI underpinned equivalent (give or take) before and Merc have an A250(?) which is sort of GTI level but both of those have zero unique selling features or heritage, they’re just upper-mid range models that sit below the range topper and have worse fuel economy than their 180-190 ish bhp Diesel siblings.

We have the James Bond like R, A35, S3, 135i etc or the MMA prizefighter Type R or Renaultsport thingy at opposing ends with the GTI, ST and i30N sat in the middle which all have their unique charisma.
The 128 can wear the same bodykit as the 135i but can BMW market it in such a way to make inroads into the GTI and ST territory or will it just slip into the price list anonymously only appealing to those switched on enough to actively find it?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #10603 on: 18 August 2020, 16:27 »
I don't really pretend to have a feel for BMW models, but my amateur view is that M is the thing, like Type-R or RS.

What clouds all of this is that all of these marques like to have "line" versions.

I don't know if the M135i actually is a genuine M or "M-Line", let alone what a 128ti is.

What you do know when you buy a GTI is that it is a GTI, nothing more, nothing less. Nice and clear. You don't need to be a VW expert to know what a Golf GTI is, everyone knows what that is.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #10604 on: 18 August 2020, 16:35 »
I've been keeping my eye on BMW to see if something along the lines of a 120i/123i/125i appears. There's a big gap between the 118i and the M135i and I can't see the 118i being powerful enough for the amount of motorway miles I do. A 120d would probably suit but I don't fancy a diesel. If a 128ti comes along, I'll be interested.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #10605 on: 18 August 2020, 17:57 »

Congrats Stevie!
That’s a brave interior choice, very Germanic and very BMW! Have you seen the Magma in the flesh?

Where did you order from in the end?

Cheers Andy.
Only in pictures and really liked it.
I thought it was brave but what the hell, as long as I like it that's the main thing  :grin:
Got it from down London way so that's another road trip on the horizon to bring it back up the road.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Panelpin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10606 on: 18 August 2020, 18:05 »
Just placed an order for Audi S3 ,
Daytona grey
Sight and sound pack
Being retired VW employee got  a  £6000  discount

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #10607 on: 18 August 2020, 18:50 »
Pulled the trigger on a new BMW M135i.

I couldn't wait any longer for details of the Mk8 R. I would have been keen on the GTI but nobody could give me a definitive of when the books would open or when indeed the cars would arrive in the UK not to mention the spec etc.

I know Covid has messed up a lot on this planet and not just VW but they really need to get the finger out or they will lose a lot more customers.
Did you trade the r against it

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10608 on: 18 August 2020, 20:52 »
Daytona grey
Sight and sound pack

Congrats to you too Panelpin, quite a decent discount on a brand new model and you’re definitely the first person I’ve seen order one.

Do you have any idea of build time?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Panelpin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10609 on: 18 August 2020, 21:25 »
Daytona grey
Sight and sound pack

Congrats to you too Panelpin, quite a decent discount on a brand new model and you’re definitely the first person I’ve seen order one.

There saying October if I’m lucky !!!!!
Didn’t say which year though 😂😂😂

Do you have any idea of build time?