Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785043 times)

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10530 on: 29 July 2020, 19:45 »
Finished more mods off today-gloss black steering wheel trim and whilst the battery was off fitted an old style battery cover with a top flap/lid.
Found it quite daunting taking the airbag off,but there’s plenty of how to guides to help you.
Speaking of how to guides-fitted all the aerotrays underneath the car yesterday.Theres a guy called ‘golfdave’,all his guides are on here-massive,massive help.
Used his guide to fit the harmonic damper as well,very straightforward.
Also fitted the helix sub/amp-the vw instructions made it look really complicated,watched a couple of YouTube videos and sorted it no problem.
Also fitted rear footwell lights and door entry lights-the guide for the door entry lights showed you how to build custom looms for each side,with wire lengths and which connectors,so you don’t have to splice into the factory wiring.
The rear footwell lights also have custom looms,but I bought these from ‘car systems’,they also mean no cutting into factory wiring.
Also fitted the under seat drawers-if you can call them that.
Doing these jobs has been so much easier thanks to the time and effort people have put into making these how to guides-they are very much appreciated.
These jobs have not been all done at once,more like ‘What have you done to your Mk7 in the last few days’

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10531 on: 29 July 2020, 20:06 »
You've certainly been a busy bee! I'd be interested in your opinion on the difference the aerotrays and the harmonic damper make :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #10532 on: 29 July 2020, 20:12 »
If you don’t mind me asking what exactly was the gloss black steering wheel trim?
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10533 on: 29 July 2020, 20:34 »

Also fitted the helix sub/amp-the vw instructions made it look really complicated,watched a couple of YouTube videos and sorted it no problem.

Interested in your view of the Helix system buddy. Where you bought it? Worth the money? Decent sound upgrade? Etc....
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10534 on: 29 July 2020, 21:17 »
Watts,1st run out today,just wanted to see if they all stayed on,which they did.Will update on any major differences as I drive it more.
Ceefeesh,the black steering wheel trim is from the R steering wheel,ours is faux brushed aluminium,it holds the multifunction buttons.
Popinman,got the helix from Germany (eBay),approx £350 shipped.Yes it’s worth the money,very well made and makes a big difference to the sound quality,not booming rattle your car to bits bass,although it has improved the bass,just better overall quality and to me it’s noticeably louder.
You also need a dongle for final programming to your car (3 door/5door).

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10535 on: 30 July 2020, 08:46 »

It's a lovely bright sunny day today in deepest Hampshire, ideal unless you're trying to take a few Q&D iPhone shots of a very shiny car.  Mustn't complain, so here it is.  From the state of the paintwork, and the complete absence of swirls, holograms or other nasties, it's either been very well looked after, or been detailed recently.  The condition of the wheels would seem to indicate the former, as there are no kerbing marks on any of them.

The "to do" list includes a trip to my local wheel alignment chap - it feels straight, but I just want to make sure, and check for any fault codes.  Otherwise, it seems to be in excellent shape, so I'll just drive it and enjoy it.

Someone has obviously cared for that R. Enjoy it. You planning on keeping the Cadiz?

Thanks.  I might keep them, although I much prefer the appearance of Pretorias, but, like the rest of the car, the wheels seem to be in really good condition, and the (slightly) higher tyre profile resulting from 18" wheels does improve the ride, and I've had some fairly major back surgery - while 19" wheels with lower profile tyres should provide handling benefits in extremis, if you get into that situation in an R...

Should an immaculate secondhand set of Pretorias become available I might fail to resist them, but the roads here in Hampshire haven't had a great deal of money lavished upon them in recent years, and most are pock-marked and pot-holed, so at least for now, I'll keep these.  When I need to replace the tyres, I'll have to make a decision.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #10536 on: 30 July 2020, 09:30 »

It's a lovely bright sunny day today in deepest Hampshire, ideal unless you're trying to take a few Q&D iPhone shots of a very shiny car.  Mustn't complain, so here it is.  From the state of the paintwork, and the complete absence of swirls, holograms or other nasties, it's either been very well looked after, or been detailed recently.  The condition of the wheels would seem to indicate the former, as there are no kerbing marks on any of them.

The "to do" list includes a trip to my local wheel alignment chap - it feels straight, but I just want to make sure, and check for any fault codes.  Otherwise, it seems to be in excellent shape, so I'll just drive it and enjoy it.

Someone has obviously cared for that R. Enjoy it. You planning on keeping the Cadiz?

Thanks.  I might keep them, although I much prefer the appearance of Pretorias, but, like the rest of the car, the wheels seem to be in really good condition, and the (slightly) higher tyre profile resulting from 18" wheels does improve the ride, and I've had some fairly major back surgery - while 19" wheels with lower profile tyres should provide handling benefits in extremis, if you get into that situation in an R...

Should an immaculate secondhand set of Pretorias become available I might fail to resist them, but the roads here in Hampshire haven't had a great deal of money lavished upon them in recent years, and most are pock-marked and pot-holed, so at least for now, I'll keep these.  When I need to replace the tyres, I'll have to make a decision.

Im in Hampshire and have a set of genuine Prets that will be coming off my car in the future. Give me a shout when the time is right if you make the decision.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10537 on: 30 July 2020, 16:44 »
Finished more mods off today-gloss black steering wheel trim and whilst the battery was off fitted an old style battery cover with a top flap/lid.
Found it quite daunting taking the airbag off,but there’s plenty of how to guides to help you.
Speaking of how to guides-fitted all the aerotrays underneath the car yesterday.Theres a guy called ‘golfdave’,all his guides are on here-massive,massive help.
Used his guide to fit the harmonic damper as well,very straightforward.
Also fitted rear footwell lights and door entry lights-the guide for the door entry lights showed you how to build custom looms for each side,with wire lengths and which connectors,so you don’t have to splice into the factory wiring.
The rear footwell lights also have custom looms,but I bought these from ‘car systems’,they also mean no cutting into factory wiring.
Also fitted the under seat drawers-if you can call them that.
Doing these jobs has been so much easier thanks to the time and effort people have put into making these how to guides-they are very much appreciated.
These jobs have not been all done at once,more like ‘What have you done to your Mk7 in the last few days’

That’s quite an impressive list for a short space of time, good work!

I always planned to put a Helix sub in my Ed40 but was put off by the cost versus how much I used the car.
The German eBay versions look good value.
Do they not come pre-programmed at all?
How did you get around the dongle issue?

Be interesting to hear if the harmonic damper makes much difference.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10538 on: 30 July 2020, 19:35 »
They do come programmed,but it was recommended that I check the code and reprogram.
I rented a dongle from a guy in Great Yarmouth via eBay,came with full instructions and a list of code numbers.
Like I said,with the help on here and the how to guides,anyone can have a go.
Mudflaps,K and N air filter fitted this aft,also zip tied the bonnet cable joint in the engine bay.
Black/red grill,wing and tailgate badges on route from RB Styling in Germany-these have taken ages to arrive,almost 2 months-hope they’re worth it!

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10539 on: 30 July 2020, 19:46 »
Exonian,With regards to the harmonic damper,I only bought it after reading about the ‘log rolling’ issues before I bought my GTI.
The fitting literally took 10 mins,if that!-the part was £60 (plus 2 self locking nuts),for something so easy to do,I thought i’d fit one as soon as I bought the car,seeing as I would probably encounter the issue further down the line.