Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10520 on: 29 July 2020, 16:04 »
It's a lovely bright sunny day today in deepest Hampshire, ideal unless you're trying to take a few Q&D iPhone shots of a very shiny car.  Mustn't complain, so here it is.  From the state of the paintwork, and the complete absence of swirls, holograms or other nasties, it's either been very well looked after, or been detailed recently.  The condition of the wheels would seem to indicate the former, as there are no kerbing marks on any of them.

The "to do" list includes a trip to my local wheel alignment chap - it feels straight, but I just want to make sure, and check for any fault codes.  Otherwise, it seems to be in excellent shape, so I'll just drive it and enjoy it.

Looks great Dr Mike. A Limestone Grey three door R is probably quite a rare beast.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10521 on: 29 July 2020, 16:18 »
That looks in remarkable condition Dr Mike, lovely gloss, you must be very pleased :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10522 on: 29 July 2020, 16:19 »
I was going to ask what colour that is. Easily the nicest looking R I’ve seen, not sure whether because 3 door or the colour.
Almost as desirable as a gti- almost.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10523 on: 29 July 2020, 16:48 »
The R looks stunning Dr Mike, definitely sounds like it’s been a well loved example.

Watts, the TCR doesn’t look too shabby either. Looking at the first photo, just to the left of the tail light... looks like you need a trip to the barbers If that’s your reflection!  :laugh:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #10524 on: 29 July 2020, 17:05 »
Watts you should try a sealant instead of wax, I’ve always found it to work better on white cars, i feel it gives them a little more bling or pop - you could just do the bonnet and see if it gives you anything extra

Thanks for that, interesting. I've a bottle of Gtechniq C2v3, I could try that. Any particular sealant you're thinking of?

I’ve used carpro reload for a good few years now

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10525 on: 29 July 2020, 17:46 »
That looks in remarkable condition Dr Mike, lovely gloss, you must be very pleased :smiley:

Thank you, I am.  I'm impressed by the performance, but it's hard to explore the capabilities of the chassis when you're constrained by holidaymakers, the indigenous wildlife (who all seem to have become accustomed to having the Forest roads to themselves during lockdown, and haven't realised that there are far more peole and vehicles around now), cyclists and a blanket 40mph speed limit.  I need to take it out to some of my favourite roads in West Sussex, and learn a bit more about it.

It reminds me in many ways of the original Audi Quattro, and it's a similar story in that the laws of physics will still apply, but you'll be going a lot faster when they do.  The General Manager of a VW/Audi dealership, as they were back in the '80's, managed to blag a Quattro as his company car, and wrote it off, together with a brick garden wall, when his enthusiasm exceeded his talent on a quiet country road late one night.

Having looked at the car's MOT history, it actually failed its' first test for a cut in a rear tyre, and there's an advisory for rear brake disc scoring - am I right in thinking that this is a known issue on the R?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10526 on: 29 July 2020, 17:59 »
Watts, the TCR doesn’t look too shabby either. Looking at the first photo, just to the left of the tail light... looks like you need a trip to the barbers If that’s your reflection!  :laugh:

:grin: I wish! The only place on my head that can grow hair seems to be my ears these days!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10527 on: 29 July 2020, 18:04 »
I’ve used carpro reload for a good few years now

Thanks for the recommendation, I shall keep that in mind :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10528 on: 29 July 2020, 18:23 »
Thank you, I am.  I'm impressed by the performance, but it's hard to explore the capabilities of the chassis when you're constrained by holidaymakers, the indigenous wildlife (who all seem to have become accustomed to having the Forest roads to themselves during lockdown, and haven't realised that there are far more peole and vehicles around now), cyclists and a blanket 40mph speed limit.  I need to take it out to some of my favourite roads in West Sussex, and learn a bit more about it.

It reminds me in many ways of the original Audi Quattro, and it's a similar story in that the laws of physics will still apply, but you'll be going a lot faster when they do.  The General Manager of a VW/Audi dealership, as they were back in the '80's, managed to blag a Quattro as his company car, and wrote it off, together with a brick garden wall, when his enthusiasm exceeded his talent on a quiet country road late one night.

Having looked at the car's MOT history, it actually failed its' first test for a cut in a rear tyre, and there's an advisory for rear brake disc scoring - am I right in thinking that this is a known issue on the R?

Definitely going to be some great drives out to be had in Sussex! Scored rear discs seems to be a common feature on GTIs too, in your R's case, it might not be helped by such a low mileage. Get them checked out but if you are going to use the car regularly then perhaps a bit more wear will even them out. If not, a replacement set of rear discs and pads won't be expensive.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10529 on: 29 July 2020, 19:16 »

It's a lovely bright sunny day today in deepest Hampshire, ideal unless you're trying to take a few Q&D iPhone shots of a very shiny car.  Mustn't complain, so here it is.  From the state of the paintwork, and the complete absence of swirls, holograms or other nasties, it's either been very well looked after, or been detailed recently.  The condition of the wheels would seem to indicate the former, as there are no kerbing marks on any of them.

The "to do" list includes a trip to my local wheel alignment chap - it feels straight, but I just want to make sure, and check for any fault codes.  Otherwise, it seems to be in excellent shape, so I'll just drive it and enjoy it.

Someone has obviously cared for that R. Enjoy it. You planning on keeping the Cadiz?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.