Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785023 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10340 on: 06 June 2020, 17:19 »
Anyone had Brescias painted? Have a small bit of whiteworm one one of mine and wondering what shade to paint.

Anthracite. :cool:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10341 on: 06 June 2020, 17:44 »
Anyone had Brescias painted? Have a small bit of whiteworm one one of mine and wondering what shade to paint.
get them all done satin or gloss black.

Not sure on gloss black - brake dust and light swirls/scratches would show up easily.

I'm leaning towards anthracite or a metallic grey of a similar darkness but perhaps a little bluer.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #10342 on: 06 June 2020, 17:58 »

Not sure on gloss black - brake dust and light swirls/scratches would show up easily.

I'm leaning towards anthracite or a metallic grey of a similar darkness but perhaps a little bluer.

This is what they look like in gloss black (reply #2 in discussion thread at link below;
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=285113.0

And this is what they look like in satin black;

Couldn’t find a picture of any in anthracite.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10343 on: 06 June 2020, 18:55 »

This is what they look like in gloss black (reply #2 in discussion thread at link below;

They look a bit 2 dimensional because the shadowed parts that aren't on the flat front face are no darker than the unshadowed parts, and they're blending into the tyre too.

Kind of like this colour (a bluish grey) that is on my spirit level, with some appreciable shadow contrast.:-

« Last Edit: 06 June 2020, 18:57 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #10344 on: 06 June 2020, 19:32 »
Gunmetal grey is the perfect choice.
I had a Reflex Silver Mk6 GTD with GTI alloys remained in this colour.
Looked v classy imo.
It’s darker but not so dark that it shows brake dust and road dirt.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #10345 on: 06 June 2020, 19:34 »
Remained = repainted!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #10346 on: 06 June 2020, 19:44 »
Gunmetal grey is the perfect choice.
I had a Reflex Silver Mk6 GTD with GTI alloys remained in this colour.
Looked v classy imo.
It’s darker but not so dark that it shows brake dust and road dirt.

Agree on gunmetal - or anthracite. I’m on my second set of anthracite alloys and they’re pretty good at hiding brake dust and dirt.

I think that monkeyhanger Is right as far as all black Brescia alloys are concerned - they do look a bit two dimensional, and the colour blends into the tyre. Probably because were used to seeing Brescia alloys with a shiny diamond cut face, with just the recessed areas between the spokes in black.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10347 on: 06 June 2020, 21:59 »
Today I fiddled with my DCC! It's been set to normal since I've had the car but it really crashes on every pothole so I've changed it to comfort. It's certainly improved matters regarding potholes but has added a bit of a floaty feeling. All in though I think I'll leave as is for now. I still think the non-DCC suspension on my PP was better, a good average setting.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10348 on: 06 June 2020, 22:55 »
Today I fiddled with my DCC! It's been set to normal since I've had the car but it really crashes on every pothole so I've changed it to comfort. It's certainly improved matters regarding potholes but has added a bit of a floaty feeling. All in though I think I'll leave as is for now. I still think the non-DCC suspension on my PP was better, a good average setting.

My thoughts exactly.

Comfort can feel like you’re in a boat, and the front outer damper needs loading up by applying sharper steering lock then I normally would when entering a corner or it begins to wallow and roll briefly until the damper control wakes up.

Sport feels good on entering bends and excellent when the road surface is good but anything bigger than a mouse turd feels like the car has gone over a landmine.

Normal is ok-ish but sharp ridges transmit a lot of shock through the body.

After a nearly three decades of driving cars with “uprated” aftermarket suspension I’m incredibly sensitive to ride quality and the DCC doesn’t impress me as much as it should.
I definitely prefer the passive dampers on the previous mk7’s I’ve owned.

I actually like them in black there. They look mean.

Personally I’d go for anthracite depending on what colour the car was painted.
I’ve had anthracite wheels on a couple cars, much easier to maintain than black.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10349 on: 06 June 2020, 23:41 »

My thoughts exactly.

Comfort can feel like you’re in a boat, and the front outer damper needs loading up by applying sharper steering lock then I normally would when entering a corner or it begins to wallow and roll briefly until the damper control wakes up.

Sport feels good on entering bends and excellent when the road surface is good but anything bigger than a mouse turd feels like the car has gone over a landmine.

Normal is ok-ish but sharp ridges transmit a lot of shock through the body.

After a nearly three decades of driving cars with “uprated” aftermarket suspension I’m incredibly sensitive to ride quality and the DCC doesn’t impress me as much as it should.
I definitely prefer the passive dampers on the previous mk7’s I’ve owned.

They have gone a bit too firm on the TCR, it's mostly good but the crash over potholes is too much. Makes me wonder what a non-DCC TCR would've been like. I still think overall the car is a big upgrade over the PP and a very enjoyable drive but a few tweaks could make some big improvements. My OH seems to quite like it, she insisted we take a fast long way home from the supermarket today, I was only too happy to oblige :smiley: Unfortunately I got lost and we went through a lot of 30 and 40 areas so not so fast afterall :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.