Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785025 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10290 on: 20 May 2020, 19:04 »
I was thinking the same. 🤔
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #10291 on: 20 May 2020, 19:57 »
Looking good r_600,

One question, what is  "the cable tie bonnet thingy"?

Cheers.

This thread over on golfmk7.com explains it. A few members over on VWROC.com - and I think some on this forum in addition to r_600 - have done this too;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/psa-cable-tie-your-bonnet-release-cable-junction-box.365541/
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10292 on: 21 May 2020, 10:32 »
Looking good r_600,

One question, what is  "the cable tie bonnet thingy"?

Cheers.

This thread over on golfmk7.com explains it. A few members over on VWROC.com - and I think some on this forum in addition to r_600 - have done this too;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/psa-cable-tie-your-bonnet-release-cable-junction-box.365541/

yeah as SRGTD has said above with the helpful link - seems to be fair few issues where cable snaps & cause's a right headache to get the bonnet re-open again. Whilst i was doing jobs on the car, thought i'd just do it anyway.
Lewman
GTI Clubsport Edition 40 - Number:120
Instagram: @ed40lew

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #10293 on: 21 May 2020, 13:34 »
Thank's, R-600 & SRGTD for the heads up & useful link.

Something for me to do this afternoon!

Cheers!

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #10294 on: 21 May 2020, 13:51 »
Some nice updates from everyone. Really liking the red BBS centre badges. And paddles look good.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #10295 on: 21 May 2020, 15:07 »
Also, MK7.5 owners don't forget, trashing the front grill might seem like the cheaper option than have VW strip the front end down to repair / replace the bonnet cable connector assembly, but the adaptive cruise radar system now lives behind the VW badge in the front grill. You don't want to damage that or knock it out of alignment. 
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10296 on: 21 May 2020, 16:47 »
This video has a few potentially useful tips for getting the bonnet open without damaging anything - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqfTXF6HwU

I was wondering about an electric release mechanism, a search brought up a few very simple designs for diy utilising a central locking motor. However I think the best thing is to keep the locking mechanism lubricated so it doesn't put undue strain on the plastic junction box and perhaps the cable ties for good measure.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline GE90

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10297 on: 21 May 2020, 18:07 »
Thanks very much TippEx for the Mountune review!

I’ve used the Mountune head office in Essex with previous vehicles, but not VW, so am particularly interested. Yes, Ryan and team were good when I visited.

Does the TCU remap smooth out changes in normal D? My concern with the engine remap is that I do not have the PP, so no LSD. As a result I think it is likely to totally change the usability and balance trying to make use of the power/torque!

I fitted the Clubsport S backbox to mine, and diffuser. Can’t say I noticed much different to stock, except for the annoying DSG farts being louder!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10298 on: 21 May 2020, 19:37 »

I’ve used the Mountune head office in Essex with previous vehicles, but not VW, so am particularly interested. Yes, Ryan and team were good when I visited.

Does the TCU remap smooth out changes in normal D? My concern with the engine remap is that I do not have the PP, so no LSD. As a result I think it is likely to totally change the usability and balance trying to make use of the power/torque!

I fitted the Clubsport S backbox to mine, and diffuser. Can’t say I noticed much different to stock, except for the annoying DSG farts being louder!

Echoed, that was a really good review TippEx :afro:

Tony, the VAQ diff doesn’t have a massive torque threshold, I can’t remember the exact figure it’s rated to now but it’s not massively more than the production cars put out as standard. I certainly felt the DTUK box I ran on my mk7 around six years ago overpower the diff on occasion resulting in wheelspin on the inside front tyre. Mind you I was running Conti 3’s back then which may not have helped. Where as the VAQ works wonders on a standard car it can occasionally get overpowered when the boost is ramped up via aftermarket software.

Going from previous generation GTIs I’ve remapped I find they don’t get too upset by not having a diff, so long as the power is applied progressively the chassis copes remarkably well and I’d thoroughly recommend a stage 1 tune.
The only drawback of the non-PP GTIs are the front brakes being marginal.

I’ve no experience of a TCU map but it’s something I might look into myself at some point.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10299 on: 21 May 2020, 20:35 »

Another person who doesn't like the DSG sound.  Thought I was the only one!

One of the main things that the TCU remap apparently does is change the clutch pressure to be more in keeping with the map.  As for maps themselves, they do a low torque version of the stage 1 map for people with manuals, I don't see this being recommended for non PP models without the uprated diff but I'm sure if you emailed they would be able to advise.  Launch control is also improved apparently but I've not given it a go as VW have a launch control counter on there for a reason.  I only ever launched twice and that was pre remap just to see what it was all about.  Contrary to popular belief on people with remaps I like to think that I am mechanically sympathetic  :wink:
2016 GTI PP.  Mountune52 Stage 1