Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10280 on: 19 May 2020, 20:41 »
That looks a nice job they done there TippEx

I was suitably impressed.  Will be using him again.
2016 GTI PP.  Mountune52 Stage 1

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10281 on: 19 May 2020, 21:35 »

Hi, it looks like you have Mountune 52 Stage 1 - would appreciate your thoughts please. Cannot find any reviews anywhere for the GTI version.

Thanks

Mountune originally came up on my radar when Pistonheads ran an article on their Golf tuning, I liked the fact that the had a good product line as where I could get most of the parts that I wanted from the same manufacturer.  They also seemed to regularly have deals if you follow them on Facebook or Instagram.

I had mine done at the factory instead of going for the mtune handset as they were doing a package deal at the time for it to be flashed at factory with the catback exhaust thrown in for £999 (the exhaust normally being that price alone).  I had a discount code for 10% so went for the TCU remap too all in at £1079  :grin:.

Now I'm going to put some caveats here, up until the whole virus thing I hadn't spent a great deal of time in the UK this year
as I was splitting half my time between the UK and Australia with work.  So I had everything installed, drove it for around a week or two tops most of which was an M4 motorway commute....  flew to Australia only to get back on the first plane when things started to go south and only have the pleasure of driving the car a mile to the supermarket every two weeks or so ever since.

Firstly the extra power is the thing that you instantly notice.  Before the remap there were times when I felt that the car was holding back, but not any more.  The delivery of the power was smooth too, it's just has really good everyday drivability.  The TCU remap really finishes it off as the DSG sport mode seems more natural to me (not sure if this is in my mind or not, but I'm far happier leaving the car in sport mode than I was before).  One thing with the TCU remap is that the eco mode no longer has the lift and coast function that it did before when driving below 80...  however, the eco mode seems to have a more torque to it, so despite being 2-3 mpg down by my estimates post remap, I wasn't noticeably using any more fuel as the eco mode was really useable on my daily commute which was mostly motorway, ahhh those were the days!  For those people who like to use manual mode with the DSG, the TCU remap has less automatic gear changes when in manual mode and the only time the autobox will change gears for you in manual is to prevent a stall.

The exhaust I am still undecided on.  I like my cars under the radar and while it's resonated, it's also got a much deeper sound to it I do worry about the cold starts living in an apartment block.  If you floor it you really can tell the difference between the stock system as it's quite a lot louder but driving around town without any acceleration it's very civilised.  Part of me really likes it, but then other days I remember that I'm nearly 40 so am considering going back to stock or maybe the clubsport s backbox as a sort of half way house, but I'm yet to hear the clubsport s backbox in the flesh :wink:

Also I will add that the staff at Mountune are really good.  Especially Ryan at front of house who dealt with me there on the day.  If you look up moutune52_ryan on instagram he generally has a discount code too.  All initial email enquiries dealt with promptly, great waiting area with a coffee machine, snacks, games console and TV to keep you occupied and kept me updated.  Things did take longer than planned by a couple of hours on the day as they were a technician down, however, they swapped my BBS centrecaps over at no cost and gave me a hoody as an apology so went back home a happy customer with a nice 100 mile drive to shake it down.

Now for the one negative, after few days I started getting dash lights coming up mainly regarding the PCM and the start stop system not working.  Mountune were very good about this when I contacted them and gave me some advice and offered to have the car back in, as it happened it was easier to speak to my local independent who also told me that this is fairly common after a remap irrespective of who remaps it as the PCM needs some time to adjust...  In the end when the dash lights had settled, I bought a Carista and cleared the codes as I couldn't get to my indy due to lockdown.  It's been a pleasure to drive since and no reoccurrence of any warning lights, so not so much a negative but something to be aware of.  I think that just about covers it...

« Last Edit: 19 May 2020, 21:43 by TippEx »

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10282 on: 19 May 2020, 23:19 »
Hi, not posted for awhile, so fair few things i've done - some pics attached

Racingline Panel Filter fitted (snowgrate removed)
Black washer fluid cap, newer coolant cap & inlet manifold cover fitted
Taken off the small under-tray & fitted the genuine much larger one
Did the cable tie bonnet thingy lol
Painted the rusty hubs
Racingline paddles fitted
Kap fire extinguisher fitted
VW Self leveling center caps fitted
My car adaption pedals, taken out, prepped & sprayed up
New Battery & Pollen filter done

Whilst all wheels off, good decent clean in arches, underneath, exhaust all polished up to the best i could do it all.

Lewman
GTI Clubsport Edition 40 - Number:120
Instagram: @ed40lew

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #10283 on: 20 May 2020, 09:51 »
Fitted my replacement paddles as recommended on here

Pleased with them?

Yeah they're awesome

Ordered 7th May, arrived the 14th

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #10284 on: 20 May 2020, 10:56 »
They are easily the best cheapo paddle extensions! As someone said, look almost OEM. 😊
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10285 on: 20 May 2020, 11:51 »

Painted the rusty hubs

Whilst all wheels off, good decent clean in arches, underneath, exhaust all polished up to the best i could do it all.

Looks like you have the Alpine retrofit nav unit in there.  Apologies if A.  I am wrong, or B. this has been asked before but did you change from the Discover or Discover Pro, what are the differences and how are you finding it?  Was there something that you didn't like with the standard unit that made you change?

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10286 on: 20 May 2020, 12:12 »

Painted the rusty hubs

Looks like you have the Alpine retrofit nav unit in there.  Apologies if A.  I am wrong, or B. this has been asked before but did you change from the Discover or Discover Pro, what are the differences and how are you finding it?  Was there something that you didn't like with the standard unit that made you change?

Hi, yea it's the Alpine unit. I just had like a bog standard Discover i think, i only changed it as i wanted the best sound i could get, i have aftermarket speakers, sub/amp and sound deadning through out. After some research i read & got advised i could get the best sound quality if i added this, lots of options to mess about with. The sound is really decent, you do lose few little things like performance monitors and the image of the vehicle if any issues (but that appears on dash anyway). I do sometimes think i should of just left it as it was, but then on long journeys with system going (i have the alpine dvd unit as well which replaced one in glovebox) i remember why i had it. Also, it does look quite smart & fitting inside.

I was due this year to get the vehicle back into a audio shop again for me to go bigger/better, but as virus has caused issues, things are on hold. It wouldn't be like bass box's everyone, everything is hidden,subtle and looks oem but packs a punch when it's playing.
Lewman

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10287 on: 20 May 2020, 13:21 »

Painted the rusty hubs

Hi, yea it's the Alpine unit. I just had like a bog standard Discover i think, i only changed it as i wanted the best sound i could get, i have aftermarket speakers, sub/amp and sound deadning through out. After some research i read & got advised i could get the best sound quality if i added this, lots of options to mess about with. The sound is really decent, you do lose few little things like performance monitors and the image of the vehicle if any issues (but that appears on dash anyway). I do sometimes think i should of just left it as it was, but then on long journeys with system going (i have the alpine dvd unit as well which replaced one in glovebox) i remember why i had it. Also, it does look quite smart & fitting inside.

I was due this year to get the vehicle back into a audio shop again for me to go bigger/better, but as virus has caused issues, things are on hold. It wouldn't be like bass box's everyone, everything is hidden,subtle and looks oem but packs a punch when it's playing.

I was wondering if a nice aftermarket system was the case there, the pre outs from the Alpine unit would certainly help with the quality there.   I opted for Dynaudio / Discover Pro with mine which is good... but no substitute for a custom build with some nice boot fabrication work and a proper sub.

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10288 on: 20 May 2020, 14:18 »

Painted the rusty hubs

I was wondering if a nice aftermarket system was the case there, the pre outs from the Alpine unit would certainly help with the quality there.   I opted for Dynaudio / Discover Pro with mine which is good... but no substitute for a custom build with some nice boot fabrication work and a proper sub.

Yeah, i currently have Focal Speakers/Tweeters - front & rear, JL Audio amp & sub. It's pretty loud, but i do want to change it up abit more & sound deaden it much more. See how this year goes first lol. Never heard the Dynoaudio system in the Golfs, quite a decent name so i would of thought it would be good.
Lewman

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #10289 on: 20 May 2020, 18:13 »
Looking good r_600,

One question, what is  "the cable tie bonnet thingy"?

Cheers.