Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10090 on: 14 March 2020, 15:09 »
I'm fine, thanks.

It's everybody else.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #10091 on: 14 March 2020, 17:02 »
I don't like SUV's or their drivers.

And I don't like you, so  :tongue:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10092 on: 14 March 2020, 19:25 »

Despite what people say about little SUVs, once you've sampled the higher up, more relaxed driving position, you'll forget all about pin sharp driving dynamics and siting on the floor. Cruise around, see what the farmers are up to and enjoy the ride.

I beg to differ. I’m no spring chicken but give me driving dynamics any day of the week.

My Tig feels like a sports car compared to my Caravelle  :grin: but I have the Mk2 GTI for fun times, so pretty much have all bases covered.  :smiley:

Another vote for driving dynamics over driving position. But I'm in a massive minority- it seems everyone wants SUVs.
I find it difficult to understand their huge popularity.
You couldn't design a car more ill suited to urban use- and that's where most are used in the UK- than the typical SUV.
And then there's costs.
We had an X5 as our family car until 3 years ago.
It was the most luxurious car I've owned- a £54k car that I bought 3 years old for half that.
High quality interior. Drove like a proper car. Excellent 3l diesel engine.
But it was heavy, thirsty, ate tyres- needed a new set every year, and started to become expensive to maintain- including a £700 bill for suspension repair.
Ok, you can buy cheaper SUVs than that, but it seems driving position is the only reason people buy them- they are happy to put up with all the problems associated with their weight. I can't understand it.

1.  Wimmin. They want to pretend that they're a Kardashian, or Victoria Beckham.  They want something that makes them feel "safe" and protect their precious crotch-fruit when they have to drop them off within six inches of the school gate in order to keep them safe from marauding paedophiles.

2.  People who can't drive, or park.  Again, they want to feel "safe", and be able to drive up kerbs to park, or take up more than their allotted space in supermarket car parks.

3.  Wimmin who can't drive. or park.  Because "safe".

I hope that the Government prosecute pavement parkers heavily, with the death penalty invoked for the worst, most inconsiderate offenders.  And selfish SUV drivers.  Which is all of them, because they develop a sense of inviolability when driving the stupid, lumpen things.

As generalisations go, that's pretty impressive. You do however make yourself sound like a massive tool in the process. I mean, everyone is entitled to an opinion but at least make it a reasonably sensible one.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2020, 08:01 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10093 on: 14 March 2020, 19:52 »

Despite what people say about little SUVs, once you've sampled the higher up, more relaxed driving position, you'll forget all about pin sharp driving dynamics and siting on the floor. Cruise around, see what the farmers are up to and enjoy the ride.

I beg to differ. I’m no spring chicken but give me driving dynamics any day of the week.

My Tig feels like a sports car compared to my Caravelle  :grin: but I have the Mk2 GTI for fun times, so pretty much have all bases covered.  :smiley:

Another vote for driving dynamics over driving position. But I'm in a massive minority- it seems everyone wants SUVs.
I find it difficult to understand their huge popularity.
You couldn't design a car more ill suited to urban use- and that's where most are used in the UK- than the typical SUV.
And then there's costs.
We had an X5 as our family car until 3 years ago.
It was the most luxurious car I've owned- a £54k car that I bought 3 years old for half that.
High quality interior. Drove like a proper car. Excellent 3l diesel engine.
But it was heavy, thirsty, ate tyres- needed a new set every year, and started to become expensive to maintain- including a £700 bill for suspension repair.
Ok, you can buy cheaper SUVs than that, but it seems driving position is the only reason people buy them- they are happy to put up with all the problems associated with their weight. I can't understand it.

1.  Wimmin. They want to pretend that they're a Kardashian, or Victoria Beckham.  They want something that makes them feel "safe" and protect their precious crotch-fruit when they have to drop them off within six inches of the school gate in order to keep them safe from marauding paedophiles.

2.  People who can't drive, or park.  Again, they want to feel "safe", and be able to drive up kerbs to park, or take up more than their allotted space in supermarket car parks.

3.  Wimmin who can't drive. or park.  Because "safe".

I hope that the Government prosecute pavement parkers heavily, with the death penalty invoked for the worst, most inconsiderate offenders.  And selfish SUV drivers.  Which is all of them, because they develop a sense of inviolability when driving the stupid, lumpen things.

I'm thinking of getting the wife a small SUV for her next car. Not because she can't drive or park, but because her mum has MS and the raised driving position makes it easier for her to get in and out. Also the extra boot space for her wheel chair. Sorry we're not all as perfect as you  :rolleyes:

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10094 on: 15 March 2020, 09:53 »
My opinion of SUV's and their drivers is perfectly valid.  Others are welcome to have their own opinions of the unnecessarily heavy and profligate (in terms of construction and fuel usage) machines in an era when we should be encouraging smaller, lighter and more efficient cars for everyday transport.

I'm not an eco-mentalist, but I do recognise the need for energy efficiency in the vehicles that we buy, both from the manufacturing and use perspectives.

SUV's are the lowest common denominator new vehicle of choice for those with limited imagination.  Other popular fallacies include the received wisdom that electric vehicles represent the bright new dawn of private transport, which is also nonsense, because their manufacture, and particularly the large-scale production of the batteries needed to power them causes so much environmental damage.

Hydrogen fuel cells appear to be the least worst option right now, but it seems that the car manufacturers have nailed their colours to the electrical mast.  Which appears to be rather short-sighted. 

I do wonder what the great LJK Setright would have thought of SUV's.  And those who drive them.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #10095 on: 15 March 2020, 10:41 »
My opinion of SUV's and their drivers is perfectly valid.  Others are welcome to have their own opinions of the unnecessarily heavy and profligate (in terms of construction and fuel usage) machines in an era when we should be encouraging smaller, lighter and more efficient cars for everyday transport.

I'm not an eco-mentalist, but I do recognise the need for energy efficiency in the vehicles that we buy, both from the manufacturing and use perspectives.

SUV's are the lowest common denominator new vehicle of choice for those with limited imagination.  Other popular fallacies include the received wisdom that electric vehicles represent the bright new dawn of private transport, which is also nonsense, because their manufacture, and particularly the large-scale production of the batteries needed to power them causes so much environmental damage.

Hydrogen fuel cells appear to be the least worst option right now, but it seems that the car manufacturers have nailed their colours to the electrical mast.  Which appears to be rather short-sighted. 

I do wonder what the great LJK Setright would have thought of SUV's.  And those who drive them.
I think you need to calm down a bit before you give yourself a coronary. Yes you're entitled to your opinion but making sweeping generalisations about people who buy and drive them is just wrong and ignorant. I've had two Tiguans and two mk7 performance Golfs so which category do I fall into? You're making yourself look and sound a complete fool 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10096 on: 15 March 2020, 11:09 »
Name-calling is an admission that you have no reasoned counter-argument to offer.

Anyway.  This thread has gone too far off-piste.  I don't like SUV's, others do.

Let's leave it at that.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #10097 on: 15 March 2020, 11:37 »
Never go full Clarkson ;-)

(Actually to be fair, I quite like a Clarkson rant)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10098 on: 15 March 2020, 12:43 »
Well I appreciated the satire in Dr Mike’s post.  :lipsrsealed:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #10099 on: 15 March 2020, 14:06 »
Name-calling is an admission that you have no reasoned counter-argument to offer.

Anyway.  This thread has gone too far off-piste.  I don't like SUV's, others do.

Let's leave it at that.
name calling? 😂😂 FFS I left school years ago 😂
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.