Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785009 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10080 on: 10 March 2020, 20:02 »
Not me but some thoughtless f**ker... Drove home today from Staithes on the lovely Yorkshire coast. Great drive down the A169 from Whitby to Pickering, wonderful scenery but some very slow elderly drivers (30-40 in a 60 on a dry perfectly clear day :angry:). Found the TCR to be a very capable and safe car for overtaking :whistle:. Stopped off at services on the M1, car park was nice and quiet so I parked where there were no other cars, none around me either when I returned 20 minutes later but there was a scrape on my OS rear door :sad:, bloody buggers. Can only guess it was another door opening on to mine, about 1 cm wide foot high black scuff. There doesn't appear to be much physical damage so hopefully once I've thoroughly cleaned it I'll be able to remove the black marks with minimal evidence left behind :rolleyes:

That’s really annoying, to put it mildly :angry:.

I really dislike parking in public car parks, because you can almost guarantee if you park in an empty section of the car park (as I do) to minimise the risk of damage, someone - usually in a large, tatty, unloved SUV - will park in an adjoining space and not give a toss if they put a ding in your door, when they could have chosen multiple other spaces to park in.

Hope there’s no damage and the mark will clean off.

Cheers SR :smiley: There will be some light short scratches but hopefully not too many. If the weather is okay I'll get a closer look in the morning.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10081 on: 11 March 2020, 17:07 »
Not me but some thoughtless f**ker... Drove home today from Staithes on the lovely Yorkshire coast. Great drive down the A169 from Whitby to Pickering, wonderful scenery but some very slow elderly drivers (30-40 in a 60 on a dry perfectly clear day :angry:). Found the TCR to be a very capable and safe car for overtaking :whistle:. Stopped off at services on the M1, car park was nice and quiet so I parked where there were no other cars, none around me either when I returned 20 minutes later but there was a scrape on my OS rear door :sad:, bloody buggers. Can only guess it was another door opening on to mine, about 1 cm wide foot high black scuff. There doesn't appear to be much physical damage so hopefully once I've thoroughly cleaned it I'll be able to remove the black marks with minimal evidence left behind :rolleyes:

Oh no! Bloody car parks, the dread of every careful owner is having to share space with inconsiderate careless morons  :angry:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10082 on: 11 March 2020, 17:49 »
Oh no! Bloody car parks, the dread of every careful owner is having to share space with inconsiderate careless morons  :angry:

Exactly, barstewards :angry:

Anyway, just been out to attend to it and it has all cleaned off. A very minor dent in the crease that runs along the car under the door handles. I may get someone to fix it, will wait to see how annoying it is. At the moment the only issue is a very dirty car with one clean door...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10083 on: 11 March 2020, 19:31 »

Despite what people say about little SUVs, once you've sampled the higher up, more relaxed driving position, you'll forget all about pin sharp driving dynamics and siting on the floor. Cruise around, see what the farmers are up to and enjoy the ride.

I beg to differ. I’m no spring chicken but give me driving dynamics any day of the week.

As I walked over to Sainsburys the other week an elderly lady was in the veg aisle complaining to an employee that they were charging 30p for a reusable bag for fresh vegetables.
Why people feel the need to do this is beyond me as an hourly minimum wage paid part time worker has about as much influence on a supermarket’s national policy as I do on how much bonkers Boris reshuffles his cabinet. Zilch, he/she does her job then goes home again.
Anyway the girl was obviously well used to moaning OAP’s and did the dutiful semi-apology, quoted the policy handed down to her from management upon high, and carried on her work.
The lady was unabated.
“Pandering to these bloody people that watch an episode of a wildlife program then suddenly become planet saviours in a supermarket before climbing back into their bloody great SUV’s to drive home via picking their kids up from school in it. If they actually cared they’d buy local produce and walk to the shop...”

Fair play, she had a point on the last one!!

Congrats on the Tig Mr GTD  :whistle:

My next door neighbour seems to have taken delivery of a 69 plate Tiguan too.
As enormous shoeboxes go it’s a handsome one!

Exactly, barstewards :angry:

Anyway, just been out to attend to it and it has all cleaned off. A very minor dent in the crease that runs along the car under the door handles. I may get someone to fix it, will wait to see how annoying it is. At the moment the only issue is a very dirty car with one clean door...

Good news that it’s only left minimal damage.
Not good news it was inflicted on you in the first place.  :angry:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #10084 on: 12 March 2020, 07:56 »

Despite what people say about little SUVs, once you've sampled the higher up, more relaxed driving position, you'll forget all about pin sharp driving dynamics and siting on the floor. Cruise around, see what the farmers are up to and enjoy the ride.

I beg to differ. I’m no spring chicken but give me driving dynamics any day of the week.

My Tig feels like a sports car compared to my Caravelle  :grin: but I have the Mk2 GTI for fun times, so pretty much have all bases covered.  :smiley:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10085 on: 12 March 2020, 11:54 »

My Tig feels like a sports car compared to my Caravelle  :grin: but I have the Mk2 GTI for fun times, so pretty much have all bases covered.  :smiley:

Another vote for driving dynamics over driving position. But I'm in a massive minority- it seems everyone wants SUVs.
I find it difficult to understand their huge popularity.
You couldn't design a car more ill suited to urban use- and that's where most are used in the UK- than the typical SUV.
And then there's costs.
We had an X5 as our family car until 3 years ago.
It was the most luxurious car I've owned- a £54k car that I bought 3 years old for half that.
High quality interior. Drove like a proper car. Excellent 3l diesel engine.
But it was heavy, thirsty, ate tyres- needed a new set every year, and started to become expensive to maintain- including a £700 bill for suspension repair.
Ok, you can buy cheaper SUVs than that, but it seems driving position is the only reason people buy them- they are happy to put up with all the problems associated with their weight. I can't understand it.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10086 on: 13 March 2020, 20:13 »
Today I briefly swapped my mk7 for...

(Drum roll please)

... an electric Mini!  :grin:

Curiosity got the better of me, having paid no more than a passing interest in EV’s due to none of them remotely floating my boat (Teslas too ugly, most other fast EV’s far too expensive and small city cars too boring and slow) the recent rash of good reviews on the MINI Cooper S Electric woke me up a bit.
Admittedly I’m a big fan of MINI’s anyway.

I had a few hours to kill and decided it would be a good idea to see what it’s all about.

The only other EV’s I’ve driven have been dodgem cars, and well, the MINI Cooper S is like a dodgem car for the road anyway.

On the outside it looks like a normal MINI with a few added yellow badges unless you opt for the Corona (three pin plug) wheels and ‘electric yellow‘ striping. The one I took out was a top spec (level 3) with standard looking exterior in a subdued and very dirty black paint job.

Inside it’s the usual very high quality MINI interior with the new digital dials taking the car into the next generation.

The performance was what I was interested in and it didn’t disappoint, very brisk low to medium speed acceleration which felt truly weird with no engine noise or gear-changes. Very linear, like a jet I suppose.
For me that was the drawback, despite the ability to pile on speed rapidly there was no character. If using jet analogies it could have done with a bit of afterburner effect at times under full acceleration just to inject some character.

The car decelerates rapidly as soon as pressure is removed from the accelerator pedal. That’s an unfamiliar feeling too but handy in city driving and can be reduced to provide an engine braking like sensation.
The sales chap (who Initially greeted me with the words “nice TCR, what’s it like?”) said the mechanics as the dealership were discovering the BMW and MINI PHEV’s are coming in for their second year services with only negligible wear on the brakes due to said retardation features working off the motor on accelerator lift off.

Most impressive thing to me as a shift worker was the ability to pre-program the cabin to a set temperature at a given time so it’s already either warm or cool when you get into it to drive. I like that.

Least impressive? Dunno, it’s so different an experience it’s hard to single out any particular negatives (MINI’s are very established anyway so you know what you’re getting with one). The power delivery feeling too linear maybe, but some would welcome that.

Verdict. I quite liked it. It was “different”. But damn did my Golf feel good when I got back in it!

I’ll take another test drive in one at a later date though being as dealers are swamped with MINI supplied demo cars. Second test drives are often more telling than first acquaintance.

On the subject of test drives, I took a SEAT Arona FR 1.5TSI out last Friday night.
A colleague of mine threw me the keys with the words “tell me what you think of it being as it was you that told me to get one...”

Well, what can I say? Roughly half the price of a Golf R, exactly half the horsepower and half the number of driven wheels. Twice as economical? Not quite.

Inside it felt like half the price of the R.
The performance felt about half of the R too, although in reality it is quicker than half it has a subdued power delivery but still quite fun to drive.
It handled quite well.

Verdict? Really good value and sharp looking. But damn did my Golf feel good when I got back in it.

Not that I’m boringly biased towards Golfs or anything...

Sometimes it’s not until you’ve driven something else for a time you realise once again what a great package the sporty Golfs are.
End of unpaid commercial.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10087 on: 13 March 2020, 20:39 »
Nice review there. So what do they charge for this? How much? Shocking! Sorry...

I'm not against electric cars and in the future maybe I'll have one but not yet. Enjoying my Golf too, still planning on keeping this one long term.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10088 on: 14 March 2020, 12:32 »

Another vote for driving dynamics over driving position. But I'm in a massive minority- it seems everyone wants SUVs.
I find it difficult to understand their huge popularity.
You couldn't design a car more ill suited to urban use- and that's where most are used in the UK- than the typical SUV.
And then there's costs.
We had an X5 as our family car until 3 years ago.
It was the most luxurious car I've owned- a £54k car that I bought 3 years old for half that.
High quality interior. Drove like a proper car. Excellent 3l diesel engine.
But it was heavy, thirsty, ate tyres- needed a new set every year, and started to become expensive to maintain- including a £700 bill for suspension repair.
Ok, you can buy cheaper SUVs than that, but it seems driving position is the only reason people buy them- they are happy to put up with all the problems associated with their weight. I can't understand it.

1.  Wimmin. They want to pretend that they're a Kardashian, or Victoria Beckham.  They want something that makes them feel "safe" and protect their precious crotch-fruit when they have to drop them off within six inches of the school gate in order to keep them safe from marauding paedophiles.

2.  People who can't drive, or park.  Again, they want to feel "safe", and be able to drive up kerbs to park, or take up more than their allotted space in supermarket car parks.

3.  Wimmin who can't drive. or park.  Because "safe".

I hope that the Government prosecute pavement parkers heavily, with the death penalty invoked for the worst, most inconsiderate offenders.  And selfish SUV drivers.  Which is all of them, because they develop a sense of inviolability when driving the stupid, lumpen things.

I don't like SUV's or their drivers.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10089 on: 14 March 2020, 13:59 »

1.  Wimmin. They want to pretend that they're a Kardashian, or Victoria Beckham.  They want something that makes them feel "safe" and protect their precious crotch-fruit when they have to drop them off within six inches of the school gate in order to keep them safe from marauding paedophiles.

2.  People who can't drive, or park.  Again, they want to feel "safe", and be able to drive up kerbs to park, or take up more than their allotted space in supermarket car parks.

3.  Wimmin who can't drive. or park.  Because "safe".

I hope that the Government prosecute pavement parkers heavily, with the death penalty invoked for the worst, most inconsiderate offenders.  And selfish SUV drivers.  Which is all of them, because they develop a sense of inviolability when driving the stupid, lumpen things.

I don't like SUV's or their drivers.

Are you OK?

We’re here for you.