Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8540 on: 07 June 2018, 08:51 »
Really feel for you.  Gutting!

Lepsons will sort that no problem. Take a look at their costs

http://www.lepsons.com/prices/

That tyre looks like it might need replacing, I’d get that checked.

Despite it.......Happy Birthday!
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 09:20 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8541 on: 07 June 2018, 10:32 »
Sorry to hear that Sootchucker, gutting. Happy Birthday though :smiley:

I'm mourning the loss this morning of yet another wing mirror :cry: A lorry got the passenger side last year, I just clipped the driver side whilst reversing ironically at the VW garage getting a £5 drain tube replaced. £450. At least there was no damage to the bodywork this time so a straightforward replacement but my precious black mirror cap bought it too :sad:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #8542 on: 07 June 2018, 11:05 »
Weekends plan is to instal my Helix Sub - can i just ask disconnecting the battery what after effects does this have and how do i solve them ? i believe its an issue with the windows ?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8543 on: 07 June 2018, 11:07 »
Sorry to hear that Sootchucker, gutting. Happy Birthday though :smiley:

I'm mourning the loss this morning of yet another wing mirror :cry: A lorry got the passenger side last year, I just clipped the driver side whilst reversing ironically at the VW garage getting a £5 drain tube replaced. £450. At least there was no damage to the bodywork this time so a straightforward replacement but my precious black mirror cap bought it too :sad:

Oops! And ouch too!
How did you manage that?

Happy Birthday Sootchucker, not the greatest of starts to the day though and not the smoothest of starts to ownership. What sort of speed were you doing on impact?
The alloy looks repairable enough but as above, the tyre looks like it might need replacing so hopefully nothing in the suspension geometry knocked out of line.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #8544 on: 07 June 2018, 11:17 »
Well it had to happen sooner or later.... KERBED MY ALLOY  :'( :'( :'(

Car's only a month old and today is my birthday as well........

Really annoying as it was swerving to avoid a Lithuanian HGV that came round a bend towards me partially on my side of the road (well over the white line), so I had to swerve to avoid him and just grazed the kerb. Of course he didn't stop and with traffic behind me I couldn't' either (plus it's solid white lines on the edge of the road so I couldn't have stopped if I wanted). Really gutted and sick now. One bloody month old.

Why oh why didn't I get that dashcam fitted yet  >:( >:( >:(

Anyone know if this is something say Lepson's could fix and how much it might cost please ?

Its funny how damaging your car be it wheels or body work makes you feel physically sick like proper puts your day to sh!t eh i kerbed my wheel in the snow in Feb literally touched the kerb and i slammed my steering wheel and called myself all the names under the sun all the way home for being such a dick how could i do something so bloody stupid and had it booked in the very next day for repair honestly i get more stressed about damage to my car than my kids  :grin: :grin:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8545 on: 07 June 2018, 11:29 »
Thanks guys - I guess Sh1t happens (trying to be philosophical about this - but it's hard)  :D

I've checked the tyre and the damage looks superficial (just a tiny tear in the outside rubber but it's only a mm or so deep (so no chunk missing or flap of rubber), but I'll get it checked out anyway.

My plans are (I think) a) to buy a replacement Brescia alloy (I've seen a brand new one on the bay from a VW dealer for around £350), get a new tyre on it, then use the existing one as a "spare" (might get it refurbished - might not - as it's bound to happen again !

Or - get the alloy refurbished by Lepson's at a cost of £128.40 (inc VAT) plus maybe add a new tyre for safety (around another £150 ish) so £280 all in - bit of an expensive morning !

I know the Lepson's route is cheaper, but I'm thinking if this happens again, buying another wheel and having a spare (refurbished) might come in handy.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #8546 on: 07 June 2018, 11:31 »
It's sh1t but these things happen. Suck it up and get it refurbed... it looks very superficial and easily refurbed. The tyre is most likely fine too tbh - just grazed.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #8547 on: 07 June 2018, 11:33 »
Thanks guys - I guess Sh1t happens (trying to be philosophical about this - but it's hard)  :D

I've checked the tyre and the damage looks superficial (just a tiny tear in the outside rubber but it's only a mm or so deep (so no chunk missing or flap of rubber), but I'll get it checked out anyway.

My plans are (I think) a) to buy a replacement Brescia alloy (I've seen a brand new one on the bay from a VW dealer for around £350), get a new tyre on it, then use the existing one as a "spare" (might get it refurbished - might not - as it's bound to happen again !

Or - get the alloy refurbished by Lepson's at a cost of £128.40 (inc VAT) plus maybe add a new tyre for safety (around another £150 ish) so £280 all in - bit of an expensive morning !

I know the Lepson's route is cheaper, but I'm thinking if this happens again, buying another wheel and having a spare (refurbished) might come in handy.

OOOOOOOH and happy birthday :) x

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8548 on: 07 June 2018, 11:47 »

Oops! And ouch too!
How did you manage that?

I was briefly distracted by a parked car on my left and pedestrians and just caught the wall. It's now taped on with a spare mirror cap. Thought about buying a secondhand part and doing it myself but I don't have a great track record with trim removal/refitting :rolleyes: So I'll be back to my red mirror caps...again.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8549 on: 07 June 2018, 12:38 »
I'd go for the cheaper Lepsons refurb option. It's a knee jerk reaction to buy a new wheel so that you'll have a spare just in case it happens again. Chances are it won't. My initial thoughts would be to buy a new wheel as it's such a new car, but it makes no financial sense.

On the subject of damaging vehicles, I scuffed the wheel arch / bumper trim on my Amarok last Friday. I was watching my trailer in the mirror as it was a bit tight getting out of a gateway and not watching the front as it scraped along a stone wall. £50 for a new trim from TPS and £40 to get it painted and it's now all good again.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.