Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784992 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8530 on: 04 June 2018, 22:19 »
Got this in my GTI on the way home from work tonight. Pretty amazed considering the car has only just over 320 Miles on it so is still very tight. Total journey 14 Miles, and as the motorway was packed, I could only cruise at around 55-60mph, which no doubt contributed greatly to the figures. Driving mode - normal

What was even more amazing, was that coming off the motorway (with 3.5 Miles to go), it was showing 51.7 mpg, but I lost a few due to the last part of the journey though through town with numerous traffic lights etc.

Pretty amazing for a brand new DSG hot hatch with 230ps !
« Last Edit: 04 June 2018, 22:21 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8531 on: 04 June 2018, 22:57 »
That's very impressive considering the power on tap. :smiley:

Got 58mpg tonight in the manual GTD. Similar speed,  busy motorway, but quite hilly with some steep inclines. Always seem to queue on the downhill sections  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8532 on: 05 June 2018, 08:08 »
Got this in my GTI on the way home from work tonight. Pretty amazed considering the car has only just over 320 Miles on it so is still very tight. Total journey 14 Miles, and as the motorway was packed, I could only cruise at around 55-60mph, which no doubt contributed greatly to the figures. Driving mode - normal

What was even more amazing, was that coming off the motorway (with 3.5 Miles to go), it was showing 51.7 mpg, but I lost a few due to the last part of the journey though through town with numerous traffic lights etc.

Pretty amazing for a brand new DSG hot hatch with 230ps !

I’ve realised that good mpg figures are only really achievable in the right conditions. If you start your journey and are stuck in queuing traffic then a good mpg is not happening. If you head off, down a hill or flat with light traffic and no traffic lights then no problems.

My last 2k Miles in mine average was showing 30mpg. And that included some making some very fast progress round the Brecons with a group of mates where the average for the day dropped to 25ish.

I’d say enjoy the car for what it is. If you want economy, get the GTD!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8533 on: 05 June 2018, 08:16 »

From what I've read, The GTD isn't all that when it comes to economy. Most cars will produce good figures if the conditions are right. Hell, I've even seen 48mpg in my Amarok. I've given up worrying about fuel economy. I'd rather spend less on an older car and enjoy driving it without having to penny pinch on fuel. £95 to fill it up every 550 miles still smarts tho'.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8534 on: 05 June 2018, 08:21 »
Agreed, but I actually wasn't on an economy run, just traffic circumstances.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2018, 08:31 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8535 on: 05 June 2018, 08:57 »

From what I've read, The GTD isn't all that when it comes to economy.

The GTI has 75% of the fuel economy of the GTD is the rough guide.

If you are someone doing 5k a year then you aren't going to see much difference (and probably clog the DPF). If you are doing 25k you are saving about 80 quid a month (I used to reckon about 65 quid but fuel prices have rocketed now the Saudi's have finished wiping out US Shale extraction). I know probably if you have a £35k car to do 5k miles PA you probably don't care about 80 quid a month, but I do!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8536 on: 05 June 2018, 14:48 »
about the only two things that I think could be improved easily on the Active info display is red needles (I miss them from the previous cars), and better legibility of the temperature and fuel gauges which can be quite hard to see (which weirdly would be improved by red needles).

So, as it seems no one has unlocked or found anyway to display the needles in Red (or Blue for the "R"), I'm given a different skin a bit of a chance. I was originally at Tube Variant 3 (standard for the GTI), and I've now changed it to Tube Variant 2. This give slightly clearer fuel and temperature gauges, but also adds in the "classic" display of just the needles without any additional information for a de-cluttered view. Also, this view now shows the incremental speeds on the speedo in between say 20 and 40 mph (with 30 mph being shown for example)

So far, the only downsides seems to be a) no fancy animated graphics on startup (when the gauges draw themselves on screen from the blackness), and b) the Speedometer now tops out at 160 mph  not 180 mph as before (pretty sure I'm not going to be pushing the limits of that). I'll give it a few days evaluation them report back. I might go back to stock, I might not - who knows

Anyway, here's how it currently looks with "classic" view shown.

« Last Edit: 05 June 2018, 16:01 by Sootchucker »

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8537 on: 05 June 2018, 16:19 »
I know probably if you have a £35k car to do 5k miles PA you probably don't care about 80 quid a month, but I do!

Few people driving £35k cars will have saved and paid for them, so it will all be about monthly budgeting.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8538 on: 07 June 2018, 07:37 »
Well it had to happen sooner or later.... KERBED MY ALLOY  :'( :'( :'(

Car's only a month old and today is my birthday as well........

Really annoying as it was swerving to avoid a Lithuanian HGV that came round a bend towards me partially on my side of the road (well over the white line), so I had to swerve to avoid him and just grazed the kerb. Of course he didn't stop and with traffic behind me I couldn't' either (plus it's solid white lines on the edge of the road so I couldn't have stopped if I wanted). Really gutted and sick now. One bloody month old.

Why oh why didn't I get that dashcam fitted yet  >:( >:( >:(

Anyone know if this is something say Lepson's could fix and how much it might cost please ?
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 07:39 by Sootchucker »

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #8539 on: 07 June 2018, 08:40 »
That’s sh!te sootchucker - you’ll need to check the tyre also. The photo shows some damage to the sidewall!

Happy birthday anyhow
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 08:42 by Eccie »