Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785072 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7870 on: 04 January 2018, 18:51 »

- DRL’s only for coming home / leaving home

Isn't the whole point of ch/lh lights is that they light the way down your garden path? I changed mine on my Passat and Golf 6 to be side lights and front fogs, and they were pretty poor. I can't imagine DRLs shedding much light.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7871 on: 04 January 2018, 18:54 »

Isn't the whole point of ch/lh lights is that they light the way down your garden path? I changed mine on my Passat and Golf 6 to be side lights and front fogs, and they were pretty poor. I can't imagine DRLs shedding much light.

They do actually throw out more light than you might think. Besides I tend to reverse into my drive and I’ve sensor lights on the house so I never really used the coming home lights for that purpose. 
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7872 on: 04 January 2018, 19:52 »
Hi Fred

Yes thats what i mean, see you learn a new thing everyday :) How was your festive period ?

Any other recommendations for what i could do with the OBDeleven ? i know there is a dedicated page but wondered if anyone has done anything on here that might tickle me fancy  :grin:

It would have been worth paying that bit extra for the Pro. Why were you not keen on using coding? It’s pretty simple and in some ways better as you know exactly what you’ve done (keeping a record/backup of changes), whereas with the apps, aside from being quite limited, you can’t really know what’s been changed in the background. Probably not an issue unless something goes t!ts up with it. You could always return it and swap it for the pro?

For what it’s worth, here’s the adaptations I’ve done with mine but all, bar one, were done using the pro and long coding. 

Chirp on lock/unlock - long coded
Stop/start disable - long coded
Headlamp washers off - long coded
Enable fan level display on auto - app
Reverse lights full brightness - long coded
Coming home lights long coded
DRL 100% with headlights - long coded
Full (5) brake lights - long code
Refuel amount - long code

This is on an R so no front fogs to play about with as on a GTD/GTI.
erm pro is just a code you put in to your account, it’s the same dongle, the code just opens up the software

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7873 on: 05 January 2018, 02:39 »
Hi Fred

Yes thats what i mean, see you learn a new thing everyday :) How was your festive period ?

Any other recommendations for what i could do with the OBDeleven ? i know there is a dedicated page but wondered if anyone has done anything on here that might tickle me fancy  :grin:

It would have been worth paying that bit extra for the Pro. Why were you not keen on using coding? It’s pretty simple and in some ways better as you know exactly what you’ve done (keeping a record/backup of changes), whereas with the apps, aside from being quite limited, you can’t really know what’s been changed in the background. Probably not an issue unless something goes t!ts up with it. You could always return it and swap it for the pro?

For what it’s worth, here’s the adaptations I’ve done with mine but all, bar one, were done using the pro and long coding. 

erm pro is just a code you put in to your account, it’s the same dongle, the code just opens up the software

Yes I know it’s the same dongle with an activation code.  Poorly worded in my part but by “return/swap it”, I meant Jeni could contact where she bought it from, either pay the extra and get the activation code sent out (if they allow that), or they might want to scrap the oringal order and her to reorder.  Only one way for her to find out (if she does want pro instead). 
« Last Edit: 05 January 2018, 02:43 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7874 on: 05 January 2018, 08:50 »
Hi Fred

Yes I know it’s the same dongle with an activation code.  Poorly worded in my part but by “return/swap it”, I meant Jeni could contact where she bought it from, either pay the extra and get the activation code sent out (if they allow that), or they might want to scrap the oringal order and her to reorder.  Only one way for her to find out (if she does want pro instead).
or just go on the play store and buy the code,

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7875 on: 05 January 2018, 09:35 »
^^ Yes if that’s doable. Whatever is the easiest way to get a pro activation code, imo it’s fairly pointless without it.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #7876 on: 05 January 2018, 09:50 »
Another few I’ve done that I like:

- remember seat heating setting on engine restart
- remember last set high beam assist setting
- only fold door mirrors if you long press the lock button (or long press door handle with keyless). Really like this one!

I also tried the exhaust flaps mod but reverted it again. Way too much drone for me to tolerate.

I bought an amazon tablet on Black Friday for it. £30!

Would you mind sharing the coding for the folding mirrors tweak??
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #7877 on: 05 January 2018, 09:53 »
One other bit of coding that may be of interest to people - I have enabled the high level brake light when in reverse. Slightly better illumination when reversing but much better visibility to other road users.

I’ve also got the same light to flash with lock/unlock but not for any functional reason.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7878 on: 05 January 2018, 10:01 »
Another few I’ve done that I like:

- remember seat heating setting on engine restart
- remember last set high beam assist setting
- only fold door mirrors if you long press the lock button (or long press door handle with keyless). Really like this one!

I also tried the exhaust flaps mod but reverted it again. Way too much drone for me to tolerate.

I bought an amazon tablet on Black Friday for it. £30!

Would you mind sharing the coding for the folding mirrors tweak??

Hey, I did that particular one via one of OBDEleven's built in "Apps". The App is "auto folding mirrors" app and there was 3 choices. OFF - AUTO - MANUAL.

AUTO is the default (fold every time you lock the car).
I changed it to MANUAL and this means they only fold with a long press on lock.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7879 on: 05 January 2018, 10:18 »
One other bit of coding that may be of interest to people - I have enabled the high level brake light when in reverse. Slightly better illumination when reversing but much better visibility to other road users.

I’ve also got the same light to flash with lock/unlock but not for any functional reason.

Interesting, to be fair I've never noticed the Golf had reversing likes because they are that bad.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17