Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785070 times)

Offline Snooze

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7550 on: 04 November 2017, 07:33 »
After sourcing brescias and some discounted good years I finally have my white silver gti sitting much sweeter!!!

Any chance of a full side on pic of the whole car?

image hosting cdn
Best I got...

That looks sick. I do like the Brescias
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7551 on: 04 November 2017, 09:12 »
Picked mine up today, very happy with it, took the long route home from the dealership.

First every brand new car so looking forward to enjoying it... well at least until the kids get in it!

Already thinking about a clutch stop for it... and then next a pedal box..

Looks stunning, enjoy and you will do even more so when you get the pedal box.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7552 on: 04 November 2017, 09:15 »
I had 2 Michelin PS4S’s fitted to the front of the R today.

I knew they were overdue, approx 18k miles and I could see I was down to the markers, but for various reasons I had it on the long finger. I got some fright when the fitter removed the front driver side wheel. The inside shoulder of the tyre had some of the wires visible. Shameful on my part  :sick: All good now anyway.

Been a while since I seen tracking out that far, what was the other tyre like?

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7553 on: 04 November 2017, 11:32 »
Other tyre was fine. Well when I say fine, it was obviously worn too but not visibly scrubbed on the inside like that.
You think that would be a tracking issue? The tyre fitter didn’t think it was unusual, he said a lot of these cars have more camber than average and with the power that it has and with the tyres already quite worn, he said it wasn’t unusual to see the inside scrubbed a bit.

The tracking was actually checked in a service a few months ago and it was bang on. Apparently.

Actually I remember my old MK5 GTI had a similar issue. Especially the rear wheels, they used to wear visibly more on the inside. Was told it’s normal then too.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2017, 11:34 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7554 on: 04 November 2017, 15:38 »
Other tyre was fine. Well when I say fine, it was obviously worn too but not visibly scrubbed on the inside like that.
You think that would be a tracking issue? The tyre fitter didn’t think it was unusual, he said a lot of these cars have more camber than average and with the power that it has and with the tyres already quite worn, he said it wasn’t unusual to see the inside scrubbed a bit.

The tracking was actually checked in a service a few months ago and it was bang on. Apparently.

Actually I remember my old MK5 GTI had a similar issue. Especially the rear wheels, they used to wear visibly more on the inside. Was told it’s normal then too.

Now way is that normal Joe and yes the wear on the rears is often the case but not to that effect though. Manufactures set the rear suspension to give the car understeer and that causes the inside of the rear tyres, it's called feathering. Not a thing on an R though as far as I know.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7555 on: 04 November 2017, 15:59 »
Hmmm I probably should get it checked out so. Don’t want my Michelin’s wearing prematurely. I think the pic makes it worse looking than it was in reality though tbh. Car is also driving 100% straight and true, if that makes any difference.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #7556 on: 04 November 2017, 18:56 »
Hmmm I probably should get it checked out so. Don’t want my Michelin’s wearing prematurely. I think the pic makes it worse looking than it was in reality though tbh. Car is also driving 100% straight and true, if that makes any difference.

That's nasty, was it one rear only if so which one. This is the reason I swap front to back at 4K miles. 1. I give them a good check over and clean! (Detailers!) 2. To even out miles and get 4 new in one hit.
That is seriously dangerous and wonder if it's a trait of the Michelin tyres? Or a camber issue, unusual on the rear, but as I have an R think the AWD set up must be precise and critical.
Always best to remove and check wheels/tyres, I found a nasty screw on the inside of my lady's GTI last year. Only when removed it deflated. Not good on front at 90mph on M4.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7557 on: 04 November 2017, 19:02 »

That's nasty, was it one rear only if so which one. This is the reason I swap front to back at 4K miles. 1. I give them a good check over and clean! (Detailers!) 2. To even out miles and get 4 new in one hit.
That is seriously dangerous and wonder if it's a trait of the Michelin tyres? Or a camber issue, unusual on the rear, but as I have an R think the AWD set up must be precise and critical.
Always best to remove and check wheels/tyres, I found a nasty screw on the inside of my lady's GTI last year. Only when removed it deflated. Not good on front at 90mph on M4.

It was front driver's side. Passenger side was OK.

Rears still have about 3mm left so I've left them alone for another month or 2.... spread out the cost, etc.

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #7558 on: 04 November 2017, 20:19 »
So happy to see that white silver ....scared since ordering as couldnt see any ...colour looks different on every photo and video on youtube LOL ...you happy with the colour ...looks amazing on the pics !
7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7559 on: 04 November 2017, 20:54 »
I’d get the tracking checked, that looks bad Joe!  And aside from the obvious, there’s not much tread left on those tyres at all. Must barely be at the legal minimum?

I always change mine at 3-4mm.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11