Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784992 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7440 on: 24 October 2017, 21:16 »
Dropped mine off for the second attempt at having a new rear bumper fitted. Fingers crossed!

Got it back, a day later than expected but a great colour match and a better finish than new :smiley: It's tempting to have the whole car flatted and polished but with daily driving it'd be damaged all too quickly :rolleyes:

Glad you’re pleased with the repair. No need to get it polished by someone else; keep saving for that DA polishing machine and do it yourself.  :smiley:

It was more the flatting first but yes, I will get the DA, in time for a spring spruce up :smiley:

Fancy trying your hand at wet sanding.   Not for the faint hearted!

No, not me, I might have my moments of madness but I would never do that! I was thinking the bodyshop. But as above, with the daily onslaught of stonechips and muck it wouldn't be worth it. I WILL (probably) get a DA sorted. I know which kit I want, but as I won't be doing much before the spring I'll hold off for now.

Wet sanding only needed for bad orange peel and a lot of work...!

I've got a Flex rotary arriving tomorrow...  :smiley:

Modern VW paint is pretty bad for orange peel.  Machine polishing has very little effect on levelling orange peel. Wet sand or embrace the peel!  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7441 on: 24 October 2017, 21:20 »
Dropped mine off for the second attempt at having a new rear bumper fitted. Fingers crossed!

Got it back, a day later than expected but a great colour match and a better finish than new :smiley: It's tempting to have the whole car flatted and polished but with daily driving it'd be damaged all too quickly :rolleyes:

Glad you’re pleased with the repair. No need to get it polished by someone else; keep saving for that DA polishing machine and do it yourself.  :smiley:

It was more the flatting first but yes, I will get the DA, in time for a spring spruce up :smiley:

Fancy trying your hand at wet sanding.   Not for the faint hearted!

No, not me, I might have my moments of madness but I would never do that! I was thinking the bodyshop. But as above, with the daily onslaught of stonechips and muck it wouldn't be worth it. I WILL (probably) get a DA sorted. I know which kit I want, but as I won't be doing much before the spring I'll hold off for now.

Wet sanding only needed for bad orange peel and a lot of work...!

I've got a Flex rotary arriving tomorrow...  :smiley:

Modern VW paint is pretty bad for orange peel.  Machine polishing has very little effect on levelling orange peel. Wet sand or embrace the peel!  :laugh:

Yes, wasn't suggesting machine polishing would sort orange peel!  :wink:

I've got a 1986 Merc SL with some swirls to work on this weekend...  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7442 on: 24 October 2017, 21:40 »

Yes, wasn't suggesting machine polishing would sort orange peel!  :wink:

I've got a 1986 Merc SL with some swirls to work on this weekend...  :smiley:

I know you weren’t, I was just commenting that machine polishing has little effect. Some people do think it can rid orange peel.   :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7443 on: 25 October 2017, 12:12 »
Got this through the post today...

Only 6 working days from ordering, pretty good from California! Will get it fitted and see if it was worth it.

To any other manual drivers, having now driven for a week without the clutch assist spring fitted I can thoroughly recommend it, the clutch pedal feels normal now, really smooth in action and the car pulls away better as I used to get some lurching from standstill. And it's free! Just bear in mind that you are fully committed once it's out as getting it back on would be a nightmare but for me, definitely staying off, well worth doing :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #7444 on: 25 October 2017, 15:12 »
I can't say I feel there is a problem with the clutch as it is to be honest
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7445 on: 25 October 2017, 15:13 »

Same here, both of mine seem fine...  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7446 on: 25 October 2017, 15:57 »

There's no problems with the clutch as such, I was happy with the way things were (apart from some jerkiness pulling away which I put down to user error) but in the spirit of looking to improve I thought these mods were worth trying and I'm pleased I did. Just had a drive with the clutch stop fitted, took all of a minute to fit it with no adjustment required and it has done exactly what I wanted. The pedal stops just a bit below biting point removing a wasted inch or so of travel each way, all the automated functions working normally, made my driving position more comfortable (one notch further back) and has relieved a small strain in my calf from having to over extend my left leg and foot :smiley:

Whilst out I stopped off at my local Audi dealer and ordered a short shifter. Probably won't be fitted for a while as I need to source a few other associated parts first. All these mods are about trying to sharpen up the driving experience as that's why I bought a manual (no offence to DSG owners intended) :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7447 on: 25 October 2017, 17:04 »

There's no problems with the clutch as such, I was happy with the way things were (apart from some jerkiness pulling away which I put down to user error) but in the spirit of looking to improve I thought these mods were worth trying and I'm pleased I did. Just had a drive with the clutch stop fitted, took all of a minute to fit it with no adjustment required and it has done exactly what I wanted. The pedal stops just a bit below biting point removing a wasted inch or so of travel each way, all the automated functions working normally, made my driving position more comfortable (one notch further back) and has relieved a small strain in my calf from having to over extend my left leg and foot :smiley:

Whilst out I stopped off at my local Audi dealer and ordered a short shifter. Probably won't be fitted for a while as I need to source a few other associated parts first. All these mods are about trying to sharpen up the driving experience as that's why I bought a manual (no offence to DSG owners intended) :smiley:

Was just going to post the same, got mine today as well. Same as you I I fitted it as was and it is spot on. Done the spring too, along with a bit removed from my wrist.

You say it removes about an inch of travel? So that explains why my wife says I don't know what inches are :laugh:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7448 on: 25 October 2017, 17:19 »

Was just going to post the same, got mine today as well. Same as you I I fitted it as was and it is spot on. Done the spring too, along with a bit removed from my wrist.

You say it removes about an inch of travel? So that explains why my wife says I don't know what inches are :laugh:

Minor tweaks but really worthwhile imho. Are you happy with the spring delete? I removed part of a finger joint and a small piece of white plastic from I know not what in fitting mine :rolleyes:.

My OH doesn't drive the GTI so no chance of her disputing my size estimates :whistle: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7449 on: 25 October 2017, 17:27 »
Very happy with both but I did do both at the same time and I've only drove the car around the block as it were but still noticed the difference.

Not sure how or what part of the car got me but it put a hole in my arm, nothing that a bit of super glue couldn't sort out though but it bloody hurt.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17