Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785065 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6960 on: 16 July 2017, 19:08 »

That's a stunner!  :cool:  Brilliant detailing work.  :smiley:  Facelift GTI looks so much better than facelift R imo.

Does it also look better than the original Mk7 R Rebecca?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6961 on: 16 July 2017, 22:56 »

That's a stunner!  :cool:  Brilliant detailing work.  :smiley:  Facelift GTI looks so much better than facelift R imo.

Do you really think I'm going to answer such a leading question Craig.  :tongue:  Oh, ok then...

I think the FL GTI looks better than the original GTI, because (for me) the red stripe through the headlights works with the changed style of the headlights, I never ever came to terms with the original red stripe/headlight cosmetic. It killed the GTI for me as an option and sent me running into the arms of the R, although I was 3/4 of the way along the running track anyway.  And the front lower plastics of the GTI are slightly more cosmetically workable than those of the R, probably because they are not gloss black like on the R which, imo, only serves to emphasise the plastickyness of them. So the GTI gets away with its non gloss plastics, and wears them well.

I much prefer the looks of the original R, that's not borne remotely out of any new v old jealousy as I simply don't feel that with cars. I always have embraced the term of ownership (usually 3 or 4 years) of all my cars and whilst I may take an interest in changes, it's only with an eye on how a future Golf purchase might pan out. But for me the original design of the R is actually bordering on 'classic' in the way the original mk5 GTI was/is (achieved fully), and imo the FL R does not hit the same spot.  Whilst I understand and like the intentions behind the change to the front styling - making for a more aggressive look - the plastics jar with me.  But the killer for me on any FL is the rear lower bumper.  The rear stance of the car is altered because of this and it has lost some of its Beyoncé squat booty, and is moving away from something that has been characteristic of later mark Golfs.  Now this may be progress in the spirit of the well clichéd Evolution not Revolution, but I have my doubts and it's all looking a bit generic.  I still think compared to the other non Golf offerings out there it's miles above the competition, but looking at the changes purely in the small circle of Golf design, it leaves me wanting less.

That's the exterior, I won't talk about the active display much just to say, it's a missed opportunity on VW's part and makes me love my analogue dials more than ever.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2017, 23:07 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #6962 on: 16 July 2017, 23:15 »

Do you really think I'm going to answer such a leading question Craig.  :tongue:  Oh, ok then...

I think the FL GTI looks better than the original GTI, because (for me) the red stripe through the headlights works with the changed style of the headlights, I never ever came to terms with the original red stripe/headlight cosmetic. It killed the GTI for me as an option and sent me running into the arms of the R, although I was 3/4 of the way along the running track anyway.  And the front lower plastics of the GTI are slightly more cosmetically workable than those of the R, probably because they are not gloss black like on the R which, imo, only serves to emphasise the plastickyness of them. So the GTI gets away with its non gloss plastics, and wears them well.

I much prefer the looks of the original R, that's not borne remotely out of any new v old jealousy as I simply don't feel that with cars. I always have embraced the term of ownership (usually 3 or 4 years) of all my cars and whilst I may take an interest in changes, it's only with an eye on how a future Golf purchase might pan out. But for me the original design of the R is actually bordering on 'classic' in the way the original mk5 GTI was/is (achieved fully), and imo the FL R does not hit the same spot.  Whilst I understand and like the intentions behind the change to the front styling - making for a more aggressive look - the plastics jar with me.  But the killer for me on any FL is the rear lower bumper.  The rear stance of the car is altered because of this and it has lost some of its Beyoncé squat booty, and is moving away from something that has been characteristic of later mark Golfs.  Now this may be progress in the spirit of the well clichéd Evolution not Revolution, but I have my doubts and it's all looking a bit generic.  I still think compared to the other non Golf offerings out there it's miles above the competition, but looking at the changes purely in the small circle of Golf design, it leaves me wanting less.

That's the exterior, I won't talk about the active display much just to say, it's a missed opportunity on VW's part and makes me love my analogue dials more than ever.

Like a well spoken politician Becs. Do you think that the FL GTI is better looking than the original R? Simple yes or no  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6963 on: 17 July 2017, 00:11 »
Like a well spoken politician Becs. Do you think that the FL GTI is better looking than the original R? Simple yes or no  :smiley: :smiley:

No.

Caveated by the fact I have not seen a FL GTI in the flesh (I have seen an Indium/Prets FL R in the flesh).

:smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #6964 on: 17 July 2017, 12:41 »
That more door Mk7.5 is absolutely stunning in that colour, have seen a few on the road and they have a real presence, like the new 18s and think the brecias look superb on them too.

Have seen one 7.5 R and what I do like is they lost the chrome lip on the bumper which was just pointless and is a grime magnet.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #6965 on: 17 July 2017, 12:49 »
Amazing after a couple of years of driving a DSG how you become a bit lazy, Mrs W has hers for over two years and now wants use it more as a manual, it is funny how she was a little rusty on revs for changing up and changing down and explaining why I hate D mode on bends given weight transfer and turn in

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #6966 on: 17 July 2017, 14:54 »

No.

Caveated by the fact I have not seen a FL GTI in the flesh (I have seen an Indium/Prets FL R in the flesh).

So the FL GTI looks so much better than the Fl R but doesn't look as good as the original R. There is definitely bias there considering there is really not a huge amount of difference between the R and the 7.5 R

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #6967 on: 17 July 2017, 15:04 »

Yes.

It's the best car ever.

:whistle:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6968 on: 17 July 2017, 15:12 »

No.

So the FL GTI looks so much better than the Fl R but doesn't look as good as the original R. There is definitely bias there considering there is really not a huge amount of difference between the R and the 7.5 R

I never said the FL GTI looked "so" much better than the FL R, I said it looked better (imo) than the original GTI.  And I said (imo) that the original R looks better than the FL R. You then asked me a yay or nay question which I answered honestly bias or no bias.  And the reasons I prefer what I prefer were explained in my earlier previous post.  To me, although they are both variants of the mk7, they are individual cars with design elements that seperate them quite significantly in my eyes and for me one works better with the recent changes, and to me the other doesn't work to quite the same extent leaving me preferring the original  What does it matter anyway?  My opinion is just that and not a personal slight against anyone else's choice or the FL itself. It's what you like that counts to you, and its what I like that matters to me.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 15:14 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #6969 on: 17 July 2017, 15:21 »

Am i missing something here, your words Becs and I quote