Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline phope

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6710 on: 03 June 2017, 17:58 »
Cleaned it after being in for a SMART repair on front wing this week

Repair appears good quality, but the twit that did the repair left a scratch in the lacquer in a different part of the wing just under the wing badge, so going back in to get repolished - I refused to pay for the original work until I am happy with the outcome

Not been feeling the love for the car this week as a result, but from a distance anyway, the car looks super shiny  :cool:

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6711 on: 03 June 2017, 18:09 »
Cleaned it after being in for a SMART repair on front wing this week

Repair appears good quality, but the twit that did the repair left a scratch in the lacquer in a different part of the wing just under the wing badge, so going back in to get repolished - I refused to pay for the original work until I am happy with the outcome

Not been feeling the love for the car this week as a result, but from a distance anyway, the car looks super shiny  :cool:

Looks great and I know exactly how you feel about not feeling the love for your car, as I am STILL waiting to get my damaged alloy sorted out to my satisfaction!
They fitted what was supposed to be a brand new wheel last Saturday and when I got home and had a proper look at it, it has a 2'' band of diamond cutting that looks completly different to my other 3 wheels. There is also a slight bump where the two areas of cutting meet and the wheel has needed about 16 weights to get it balanced :shocked:
The weights are fecking silver as well :angry:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Vrne9z]

« Last Edit: 03 June 2017, 18:15 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6712 on: 03 June 2017, 18:33 »
kalimon - you've achieved what I thought previously impossible, made a dull grey car look stunning! :laugh: So did you just have your drive paved for the opportunity it gives for great reflection shots? Seriously though, that really is a top job, you must be very pleased. Sorry to hear about your wheel still not being sorted, very frustrating.

phope - likewise that does look great, sounds like you are nearly there with the repair.

Done nothing to mine today. Spent the whole day in the garden, moved my dinky shed to lift the base which has settled over the 30 odd years it's been down. So levelled out, replaced the paving stones and concreted around them to stop weeds growing where I can't normally get to. Replaced the shed and filled it back up. Pleased it's sorted but the result is that it doesn't really look like any work has been done other than the garden has a small pile of rubble in it :angry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #6713 on: 03 June 2017, 19:21 »
I managed to give it a quick maintenance wash but it's just a shame it won't stay clean for long :cry:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #6714 on: 03 June 2017, 20:08 »
I managed to give it a quick maintenance wash but it's just a shame it won't stay clean for long :cry:
Pure White looks really good with the red and black trim. :cool: I was tempted by that colour, but the roads around me are always covered in mud. Muddy white is not a good look :sad:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6715 on: 03 June 2017, 21:10 »
That wheel looks like it's been powder coated, not the factory black paint. New wheel my arse.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6716 on: 03 June 2017, 21:25 »
I am STILL waiting to get my damaged alloy sorted out to my satisfaction!
They fitted what was supposed to be a brand new wheel last Saturday and when I got home and had a proper look at it, it has a 2'' band of diamond cutting that looks completly different to my other 3 wheels. There is also a slight bump where the two areas of cutting meet and the wheel has needed about 16 weights to get it balanced :shocked:
The weights are fecking silver as well :angry:

I feel your pain Kalimon. Slightly different situation, but I had a couple of diamond cut alloys replaced under warranty on my previous car (mk6 GTD). Dealer ordered replacement wheels and when they arrived, they were both damaged so wheels re-ordered; also damaged when they arrived so re-ordered again. This went on until a total of nine wheels had been ordered before they got two that were undamaged that I was happy to accept..

Judging by the marks on some of the replacement wheels, I suspect that the dealer damaged some of them when fitting the tyres, although some looked as if they were substandard refurbs.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6717 on: 03 June 2017, 21:47 »
That wheel looks like it's been powder coated, not the factory black paint. New wheel my arse.
My thoughts exactly.
When you closely, there are tiny burrs around all 5 wheel bolt holes while my original wheels are perfect.
This is not over by a long way.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6718 on: 03 June 2017, 22:15 »
kalimon - you've achieved what I thought previously impossible, made a dull grey car look stunning! :laugh: So did you just have your drive paved for the opportunity it gives for great reflection shots? Seriously though, that really is a top job, you must be very pleased. Sorry to hear about your wheel still not being sorted, very frustrating.
There's a lot to be said for metallic paint as opposed to plain old red :wink:
This wheel thing is so irritating as I feel it could have been sorted out within a week if the dealership had had the will to do so.
They constantly promise to return my calls then fail to do so, which results in me having to email their head office in order to get a response. I've used this dealership for 10 years with my A3 and now my GTI and the Audi side of things were excellent.
phope - likewise that does look great, sounds like you are nearly there with the repair.

Done nothing to mine today. Spent the whole day in the garden, moved my dinky shed to lift the base which has settled over the 30 odd years it's been down. So levelled out, replaced the paving stones and concreted around them to stop weeds growing where I can't normally get to. Replaced the shed and filled it back up. Pleased it's sorted but the result is that it doesn't really look like any work has been done other than the garden has a small pile of rubble in it :angry:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6719 on: 03 June 2017, 23:03 »
My thoughts exactly.
When you closely, there are tiny burrs around all 5 wheel bolt holes while my original wheels are perfect.
This is not over by a long way.

Great shine on the car  :cool: and I love the driveway too.

It makes me wonder with the wheel whether VW have a stock of refurbished wheels they send out as warranty replacements.
Obviously wheels that are replaced under warranty go somewhere so it would make financial sense for VW to get them refurbed and then used to replace other wheels that are coming in from dealerships under warranty claims.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner