Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785005 times)

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6180 on: 23 February 2017, 22:03 »
Mr GTD, out of interest, where are you going to put the caliper stickers ?

I ask as the standard Calipers don't have the smooth cover plate that the PP GTI has, and instead has a big scallop cut out of the units right back to the brake pad ? Can't see where they would fit ?

[/url

Oh if only I had that pic earlier..

Oh Well, when there here (and the car is :grin:) I will test fit them before committing but I think I can safely say they mostly won't be fitted.

£6.50 down the drain...but at least it's not £650 I suppose. :rolleyes:

If your getting your calliper stickers off Adam you do get 3 different sizes and the decals do fit the non PP callipers I know caus I have them on mine lol   :whistle:

how to take screenshots

If you zoom in on my front wheel you can make the decals out  :whistle: :whistle:

« Last Edit: 23 February 2017, 22:26 by gtiaps »
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6181 on: 23 February 2017, 22:55 »

I ask as the standard Calipers don't have the smooth cover plate that the PP GTI has, and instead has a big scallop cut out of the units right back to the brake pad ? Can't see where they would fit ?

[/url

Oh Well, when there here (and the car is :grin:) I will test fit them before committing but I think I can safely say they mostly won't be fitted.

If your getting your calliper stickers off Adam you do get 3 different sizes and the decals do fit the non PP callipers I know caus I have them on mine lol   :whistle:

how to take screenshots

If you zoom in on my front wheel you can make the decals out  :whistle: :whistle:

Phew!!
Thanks Graham, yeah I'm getting them from Adam and like you said he sends three different sizes.

All is well again :wink:

Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6182 on: 24 February 2017, 07:37 »
p3asa - this is the harness I purchased : http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-footwell-lighting-rear-plug-play-harness,id647.html

One thing to remember is that I wanted to change from the standard White LED footwell lights to put my own coloured LED bulbs in. I already had a couple of "standard" (aka filament bulb type) footwell lights in the garage from my MK V Golf days (part number 6L0 947 415) so used them with my aftermarket bulbs. If you are happy with the white light, then you can continue to use the VW LED footwell lights which obviously have to be purchased separately.

One thing though, from the descriptions on the car systems web site it said "Only one loom is needed for the fitting of both lights (drivers, passengers site)", so I assumed that meant that there was one harness and that both lights for the rear were joined together. Happily though that wasn't the case and each side of the car had it's own cable.

Running the cables wasn't hard, although I wasn't brave enough to unplug the seat wiring so instead I just removed the seat runner bolts and tilted the seat forwards and backwards as I needed to get the access I wanted without disconnecting anything (obviously with the ignition off). You need to unclip the sill trim (which just simply pulls off - just a few clips), and that then allows you access to the kick well trim on either side of the car. I didn't need to remove these fully just prise out slightly (the drivers side one would necessitate removal of the bonnet release handle anyway, and I didn't want to do that.).

So just unplug the stock connection in the front footwell lights, plug the new harness connector in instead, and then plug the factory footwell connector just removed into the female "piggy back" connector on the new harness. Then run the cable down the sills tie wrapping it to the existing harness, then near the front of the seat run the cable under the carpet to where the factory seat harness pops out from underneath the carpet. With the seat free to move and the sill trim unclipped it's very easy to lift the carpet and push the cable though. Then I just ran the cable though holes on the underside of the seat to where the cutout was for the rear lights. Unlike Kevin's expert approach, I didn't put another connection in the cable for removal of the seat, as the small amount of harness that runs though and under the seat can be very easily pulled out if required. Then just cable tie everything in place and re-assemble.

The first side took me about an hour or so, and the second (once I knew what i was doing) about 45 minutes only. Not as professional install as Kevin's but like I said I didn't want to remove the seat and mess with the factory seat plugs etc. However the cables are still invisible and I still have full movement of the seat front and back.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2017, 07:41 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #6183 on: 24 February 2017, 08:35 »

[/url

how to take screenshots

Phew!!
Thanks Graham, yeah I'm getting them from Adam and like you said he sends three different sizes.

No problem MrGtd but its Neil not Graham lol  :whistle:

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6184 on: 24 February 2017, 08:46 »
PP calliper covers can be bought here.

Hight temperature double sided tape anybody?  :grin:

I thought they were cheap at €22, but that's per side, so €44 a pair.

But the PP and non PP/GTD have different callipers.

On a side note how the hell did you make 'here' into a link? I'm too old :rolleyes:

......but they are bigger, so the covers would fit over - if you aren't too fussy! I wasn't being entirely serious!  :rolleyes:

The embedding of the link is formed by [U RL=link]whatever you want to write[/U RL] (without the spaces!) HTH  :smiley:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6185 on: 24 February 2017, 08:53 »

[/url

how to take screenshots

Phew!!

Neil, please accept my apologies. Getting you mixed up with Gnasher.

D'oh moment  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: 24 February 2017, 08:56 by Mr GTD »
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #6186 on: 24 February 2017, 09:17 »

[/url

how to take screenshots

Phew!!

Neil, please accept my apologies. Getting you mixed up with Gnasher.

D'oh moment  :embarrassed:

Lol no worries assumed was a case of mistaken identity hahaha  :grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6187 on: 24 February 2017, 09:26 »
p3asa - this is the harness I purchased : http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-footwell-lighting-rear-plug-play-harness,id647.html

One thing to remember is that I wanted to change from the standard White LED footwell lights to put my own coloured LED bulbs in. I already had a couple of "standard" (aka filament bulb type) footwell lights in the garage from my MK V Golf days (part number 6L0 947 415) so used them with my aftermarket bulbs. If you are happy with the white light, then you can continue to use the VW LED footwell lights which obviously have to be purchased separately.

One thing though, from the descriptions on the car systems web site it said "Only one loom is needed for the fitting of both lights (drivers, passengers site)", so I assumed that meant that there was one harness and that both lights for the rear were joined together. Happily though that wasn't the case and each side of the car had it's own cable.

Running the cables wasn't hard, although I wasn't brave enough to unplug the seat wiring so instead I just removed the seat runner bolts and tilted the seat forwards and backwards as I needed to get the access I wanted without disconnecting anything (obviously with the ignition off). You need to unclip the sill trim (which just simply pulls off - just a few clips), and that then allows you access to the kick well trim on either side of the car. I didn't need to remove these fully just prise out slightly (the drivers side one would necessitate removal of the bonnet release handle anyway, and I didn't want to do that.).

So just unplug the stock connection in the front footwell lights, plug the new harness connector in instead, and then plug the factory footwell connector just removed into the female "piggy back" connector on the new harness. Then run the cable down the sills tie wrapping it to the existing harness, then near the front of the seat run the cable under the carpet to where the factory seat harness pops out from underneath the carpet. With the seat free to move and the sill trim unclipped it's very easy to lift the carpet and push the cable though. Then I just ran the cable though holes on the underside of the seat to where the cutout was for the rear lights. Unlike Kevin's expert approach, I didn't put another connection in the cable for removal of the seat, as the small amount of harness that runs though and under the seat can be very easily pulled out if required. Then just cable tie everything in place and re-assemble.

The first side took me about an hour or so, and the second (once I knew what i was doing) about 45 minutes only. Not as professional install as Kevin's but like I said I didn't want to remove the seat and mess with the factory seat plugs etc. However the cables are still invisible and I still have full movement of the seat front and back.

I hope this helps.

Great explanation, I might consider this mod now. One thing though, on the site selling the cables it mentioned about needing coding afterwards, was that the case?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6188 on: 24 February 2017, 10:17 »
No coding at all. Think that might be if you car has no front footwell illumination fitting at all.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6189 on: 24 February 2017, 11:14 »
No coding at all. Think that might be if you car has no front footwell illumination fitting at all.

Brilliant, thanks very much for that :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.