Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785035 times)

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5930 on: 30 January 2017, 15:14 »
Hmmm, great, LHD lorry decided he needed to swing out to perform a tight left when entering a roundabout, didn't check to see if anyone was next to him...

Could have been worse. Apparently it was my fault even though I was clearly in my own lane and being on his right should have somehow known he wanted to turn left. Followed him back to his depot to discuss it in safety but didn't realise the mirror glass was loose so it has inflicted dozens of chips and scratches to the door. Buggerations.  :cry: :angry:

Oh no Watts. So what was the outcome after talking to the lorry driver..?

Is he going to help with the cost..?
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #5931 on: 30 January 2017, 15:16 »

There is but my wife's car is due an MOT next week and it needs new tyres so that's £850 gone.

I have bought some parts already and I'll be getting a DTUK tuning box and peddle box fitted before I collect the car. I was going to get an exhaust but I'm not sure about the twin exhaust on a GTD, it might look like I'm trying to make it look like a GTi but I might change my mind later. I want to get wheels too but still trying to decide which.

Jeez, what does the wife drive, a Hummer? That's some pricey tyres.

Are you getting the pedalbox and DTUK CRD fitted by the VW dealer? Are they ok with that? I'd want to run it a few miles first personally to bed everything in as standard.

Hmmm, great, LHD lorry decided he needed to swing out to perform a tight left when entering a roundabout, didn't check to see if anyone was next to him...

Could have been worse. Apparently it was my fault even though I was clearly in my own lane and being on his right should have somehow known he wanted to turn left. Followed him back to his depot to discuss it in safety but didn't realise the mirror glass was loose so it has inflicted dozens of chips and scratches to the door. Buggerations.  :cry: :angry:

Buggerations indeed Watts, you can see all the chips in that photo. Hopefully the worst of them will machine polish out if you don't want the door and wings painted (a pain on a 3 door due to the window seal needing to be removed to prevent overspray) if they want to blend the wings into the door paint.
"Thankfully" could've been much worse but it's still gutting and majorly frustrating. He did even more damage getting the mirror caps off than you did when you attempted the carbon covers!!  :lipsrsealed:
So, begs the question, what colour mirror caps next time?

Gloss Black Gloss Black  :laugh:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5932 on: 30 January 2017, 15:51 »
Thanks peeps, all going through insurance, it was a major international freight company so pretty sure it'll all be okay. Just going to have to put up with a crappy little rental car for a few days. I'd rather not and would normally use OH's car but coincidentally her's is out of commission now awaiting a repair (not accident damage though).

As for the mirror caps, rather hoping the old one is okay as it pinged off (it's in the car, will have a look later). Presumably they'll paint it red if replaced, might have to remove the wrap off the other to match for a while and see what takes me, possibly gloss black!

He did even more damage getting the mirror caps off than you did when you attempted the carbon covers!!  :lipsrsealed:

So true...... Just.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5933 on: 30 January 2017, 15:57 »
As far as the insurance co are concerned your mirror cap was destroyed on impact!!  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5934 on: 30 January 2017, 16:48 »
Unfortunately I damaged the offside...

Just removed the wrap as the garage will have to replace the nearside cover and don't want one red and one CF! Now got a £300 excess to pay which I may or may not get back plus a £400 or £500 bill for the Lupo repair this week :angry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #5935 on: 30 January 2017, 17:23 »
Do they do 3 door versions of the Lockwood ones?

Yes they do.  Are you getting an R James?   Only reason I ask is have seen your name on VWROC, and I set up a group buy on Lockwood R sills on there, in case you were thinking of getting a set.

Thanks Rebecca. I am trying to find an R currently but not having much look finding a car with the bits I want on. The Reflex Silver Golf R 3 doors have drawn me back to silver but they are very rare.

Good luck with your continued search James, they are rare.  Why not make Raffe an offer he can't refuse for his, lol.

I might have to at this rate, missed out on another one yesterday. Got a sent a video of the car and buy the time I got to looking at it, it was gone.

Might be a facelift now for me, so hopefully Reflex Silver won't be dropped.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5936 on: 30 January 2017, 17:49 »

I hope so  :laugh: I'm running a Carbon map on the MK6 which as been great but the 7 should be a different animal with the 240hp.

With regards to the IPA wipes I don't have any. Where's the best place to get them from..?

Thanks for the extra tips. I will be taking my time on fitting the seals as I've never done it before...

Sorry, missed this yesterday.  You can buy bottles of IPA or Panel Wipe from detailing websites.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=818

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-accessories/polish-inspection-sprays/gtechniq-panel-wipe/prod_1260.html

Or Halfords sell the wipes.  http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/fillers-preparation/halfords-paint-preparation-wipes-x5
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5937 on: 30 January 2017, 17:54 »
Well yesterday really.

Car hadn't been washed since Jan 2nd and was filthy. Couple of hours later and she looked much better. Problem is, I know it will only be clean for a day at most in this weather  :cry:
Afterwards

Looks superb sootchucker  :cool:, even if it is a exercise in futility at this time of year.

You know there's a detailing section, right.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5938 on: 30 January 2017, 17:57 »

Gutting!   :sad:  Feel for you.  Hopefully the paint damage will be rectifiable without needing a respray. Are the chips beyond the clearcoat?
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5939 on: 30 January 2017, 18:18 »

Gutting!   :sad:  Feel for you.  Hopefully the paint damage will be rectifiable without needing a respray. Are the chips beyond the clearcoat?

Thanks, yes, the mirror glass was clattering against the paint for about a mile until it was safe to get out and remove it. Bloody annoying and frustrating, it'd been just a bolt off/on job otherwise. Was booked in to the DL recommended garage but just cancelled as I'd rather stick with my trusted local garage. Hopefully it'll all be sorted by the end of next week. Bloody blind lorry drivers :angry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.