Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785008 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5780 on: 18 December 2016, 15:14 »
Not that anyone gives a rat's arse what I think but I'm more in the camp of appreciating the efforts and quality of Bec's photographs and not everyone here spends time on the R forum so it's hardly valid to criticise anyone for duplicating between two very different forums.
What can be annoying is people quoting the whole post including the photographs on several different threads whilst adding their praises but at the end of the day it's the internet and not many of us are on dial up now so we can just scroll on past what we don't want to see.
As for the 40 odd page thread on Bec's car, that is a really useful thread for reference for a lot of people as there are part numbers and prices for all sorts of little mods and improvements amongst other things.
Everyone just be thankful that there are people that take the time and care to do that sort of thing as it's massively helpful to others and probably an inspiration too.

asm1, nice car and I hope you're ok after the fall?

What did I do to my mk7 today?

Washed it in the fog, stripped it of its mods, checked it for fault codes (there were none) and took a deep breath ready to part with it.

A fantastic car that I find almost impossible to fault but I just don't use it anymore.
ironic really as I absolutely love driving it.
Hey ho.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline cosmos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5781 on: 18 December 2016, 15:32 »
November map updates, such a chore, 5 hours downloading, extracting and uploading! Worth it to keep up to date given quite a few road changes where I drive, recently.

Need a nice dry day to give it a good wash but that might have to wait until the Christmas break.
Golf GTI PP | DSG | 5 door | Carbon Steel Grey | DCC | Tech Pack | Parking Pack

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5782 on: 18 December 2016, 16:41 »
What did I do to my mk7 today?

Washed it in the fog, stripped it of its mods, checked it for fault codes (there were none) and took a deep breath ready to part with it.

A fantastic car that I find almost impossible to fault but I just don't use it anymore.
ironic really as I absolutely love driving it.
Hey ho.

That's a shame! No replacement then? Or waiting for the 2018 Up! GTI?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline asm1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5783 on: 19 December 2016, 19:17 »
Quote from: Exonian

Yes I am, thank you for asking - my condition is such that sometimes it is better to fall and get up, rather than to try and stop myself.... otherwise it can hurt much worse.  One crutch went out completely so I dropped the second and went down. if I had tried to move I could've gone over on top of the other crutch... learned from experience, and cracked ribs, that's not fun.

Downside was I absulutely stank of diesel (not me, none spilled - just what was on the floor) Took a while to wash it out my hands, even though I had cotton gloves on (for crutches/ driving nice and grippy I find)

Wish the sodding app payment thing had worked though... :(

Alls well that ends well.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5784 on: 20 December 2016, 11:40 »

The next best thing to an UP! GTI as I've given up waiting for one of those:

I've now bought a fleet of MINI Cooper Diesels believe it or not. I'm having a VW sabbatical after several decades of having at least one VW group car in my ownership. It all started when I needed something almost affordable to insure teenage sons on that still had a bit of go in the engine department. I am now starring in my own version of the Italian Job.

Yes I am, thank you for asking - my condition is such that sometimes it is better to fall and get up, rather than to try and stop myself.... otherwise it can hurt much worse.  One crutch went out completely so I dropped the second and went down. if I had tried to move I could've gone over on top of the other crutch... learned from experience, and cracked ribs, that's not fun.

Downside was I absulutely stank of diesel (not me, none spilled - just what was on the floor) Took a while to wash it out my hands, even though I had cotton gloves on (for crutches/ driving nice and grippy I find)

Good to hear you're ok.
You seem to have the technique sorted for that sort of thing, bitter experience I guess.

My nephew is a senior social worker & uses crutches to get around due to lack of leg mobility.
He once told me he had to visit someone in prison and fell over on his way in and landed right in a muddy patch on his derriere.
You can just imagine his embarrassment walking through the jail with a huge brown patch on the seat of his trousers!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #5785 on: 20 December 2016, 14:56 »

I've now bought a fleet of MINI Cooper Diesels believe it or not. I'm having a VW sabbatical after several decades of having at least one VW group car in my ownership. It all started when I needed something almost affordable to insure teenage sons on that still had a bit of go in the engine department. I am now starring in my own version of the Italian job....

Hope the diesels are just about able to " blow the bloody doors off " sorry couldn't resist lol  :whistle: :whistle: :grin:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5786 on: 20 December 2016, 15:01 »

I've now bought a fleet of MINI Cooper Diesels believe it or not. I'm having a VW sabbatical after several decades of having at least one VW group car in my ownership. It all started when I needed something almost affordable to insure teenage sons on that still had a bit of go in the engine department. I am now starring in my own version of the Italian Job.

I think the Mini Cooper is a lovely looking, well screwed together car. I've never actually sat in one......are they quite spacious inside or a bit cramped?
I think a break from VW will do you good and make the Up! GTI even more desirable to you in the future!!
Glad to see you are still contributing to the GTI forum.
Happy Christmas mate :smiley:

Good to hear you're ok.
You seem to have the technique sorted for that sort of thing, bitter experience I guess.

My nephew is a senior social worker & uses crutches to get around due to lack of leg mobility.
He once told me he had to visit someone in prison and fell over on his way in and landed right in a muddy patch on his derriere.
You can just imagine his embarrassment walking through the jail with a huge brown patch on the seat of his trousers!
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5787 on: 20 December 2016, 16:01 »

Hope the diesels are just about able to " blow the bloody doors off " sorry couldn't resist lol  :whistle: :whistle: :grin:

"just about" would be as good as it gets!

They're pretty lively with a bit of enhancement...  :whistle:

I think the Mini Cooper is a lovely looking, well screwed together car. I've never actually sat in one......are they quite spacious inside or a bit cramped?
I think a break from VW will do you good and make the Up! GTI even more desirable to you in the future!!
Glad to see you are still contributing to the GTI forum.
Happy Christmas mate :smiley:

Thanks and a very Happy Christmas back to you sir!  :smiley:

They're very BMW like inside the newer ones.
Plenty of legroom but not so much elbow room up front.
Space for two in the rear of the 3 door but pretty compromised space at that.
They're 2+2's really.

They go well, feel very Germanic build wise and have an amazing turning circle after years of Golfs.
But a Golf they ain't!
The Golf is night on perfect as an every day car but the little Cooper has lots of flaws and lots of little nice touches which gives it a very different character.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Bigwod

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5788 on: 21 December 2016, 09:30 »
I've got a JCW 2016, never a big fan of the mini until i foolishly took the demo one out for a test drive,
made the young salesman look rather pasty faced when we returned to the dealership in Shrewsbury.
i had to have it.

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5789 on: 21 December 2016, 13:08 »
Washed my mk7 myself for the 2nd time since new (sept 65)   :rolleyes:
Its a company car and we have a valeter every 2/3 weeks visit our office.

Not really into detailing but did a 'safe' wash consisting of:
VP citrus pre-wash/rinse, VP bilberry wheel cleaner/swissvax brush, Poorboys SS&S shampoo/Megs wash mitt, 2 buckets, microfiber dry.