Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785027 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5710 on: 06 December 2016, 21:50 »
Mmmmm cake...

I wonder what's in my drawer now, I've not looked in there for a while.

Those stickers look quite good. A cheaper option than a new sun visor assuming they stick ok.
Deffo a Matt sticker to match the sun visor finish with glossy logos.

Anyone for cake?

Come on Mr Ex, surely it's time to wedge a nice slice of Christmas Cake in the drawer, you never know when the craving might come upon you.  :drool:

I know it's ETTO, and they are not cheap, but the label does annoy me and I think these are better than sticking some tape over, are cheaper than a new visor, are subtle and importantly will deal with the issue.  :smiley:

I've already eaten one Xmas cake before it was iced!

"I'm not too happy with how this one turned out"

"No problem, I'll look after it..." And that was my office snack last week!!

I think the stickers are a nifty idea. One of those simple but effective little mods where someone has come up with a neat little solution and making a few dollars out of it.  :cool:

Curbed a TSW and cleaned the rear number plate which is now the cleanest bit of the car
D'oh!
Well, one of them is even lighter now

Good luck getting all the sticky goo off if you ever remove it. Once it's heated up/cooled down a few times it'll be a tacky mess, lol.

The same to be honest with my choccy bar version.

But at least cleaning it off of the visor with your tongue is tastier.

I'd hate to be the poor passer by that has to witness that act!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5711 on: 06 December 2016, 22:32 »
Duck tape with the VW logo hand drawn on is my preferred option.
Or just don't let it irritate you :wink:

Classy!  Good luck getting all the sticky goo off if you ever remove it. Once it's heated up/cooled down a few times it'll be a tacky mess, lol.
I've just let it be actually. I couldn't be arsed looking for my roll of duck tape :laugh:

It bothers me and IMO these look a reasonable solution.  :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5712 on: 06 December 2016, 23:07 »
Mmmmm cake...

I wonder what's in my drawer now, I've not looked in there for a while.

Those stickers look quite good. A cheaper option than a new sun visor assuming they stick ok.
Deffo a Matt sticker to match the sun visor finish with glossy logos.

Anyone for cake?

Come on Mr Ex, surely it's time to wedge a nice slice of Christmas Cake in the drawer, you never know when the craving might come upon you.  :drool:

I know it's ETTO, and they are not cheap, but the label does annoy me and I think these are better than sticking some tape over, are cheaper than a new visor, are subtle and importantly will deal with the issue.  :smiley:

I've already eaten one Xmas cake before it was iced!

"I'm not too happy with how this one turned out"

"No problem, I'll look after it..." And that was my office snack last week!!

I think the stickers are a nifty idea. One of those simple but effective little mods where someone has come up with a neat little solution and making a few dollars out of it.  :cool:

Curbed a TSW and cleaned the rear number plate which is now the cleanest bit of the car
D'oh!
Well, one of them is even lighter now

Good luck getting all the sticky goo off if you ever remove it. Once it's heated up/cooled down a few times it'll be a tacky mess, lol.

The same to be honest with my choccy bar version.

But at least cleaning it off of the visor with your tongue is tastier.

I'd hate to be the poor passer by that has to witness that act!!

Winner of funniest post of the day.  :laugh:  Had me giggling away Mr Ex.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jdm owner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5713 on: 08 December 2016, 19:30 »
Post man delivered some vw racing springs.. All booked in on mon for fitment and camber..

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5714 on: 09 December 2016, 08:13 »
Just a 1 week report on the new dashcam. After a previous foray into Dashcams with the Blackvue 650 which fried itself within a week, I held off replacement.

Since the recent keying of my car on the street outside the house, I decided that I had to get another - with a good reputation for staying cool, with a good parking mode and battery management.

I found a cracking deal on the Thinkware F770 dual channel camera (£209.99 - the RRP is £250 and it is hard to find it under £240).

The front unit is a little bigger than the Blackvue's, but sits flat against the screen just below the domed cap of the rear view mirror's rain/light sensor. It is pretty inconspicuous to the passer by unless they are really looking for it as the black casing matches the performance Golf headlining well. Importantly for me, where I have placed it, I cannot see it from the drivers seat.

Conspicuousness is a debatable subject - do you want people to know you have a dash cam and leave your car well alone, or do you want them not to know you have one so you can covertly capture them doing something untoward? I'm not sure which I prefer right now.

Right now the front unit LEDs are switched off (as much for energy savings concerns as anything else). The rear unit tiny blue LED isn't switchable, so I currently have a tiny bit of black electricians tape over it.

Ideally I suppose you want people on the road to know you have a dashcam so they refrain from driving like a cock around you, and offroad perhaps not to draw attention to it (if you fear someone breaking into your car for a dashcam - unlikely).

Comparisons to the Blackvue:-

Auto shut-off battery management is built in - no magic boxes needed here for parking mode.

Lane departure warning - built in and selectable. Haven't switched this on yet as it requires calibration on the move (need the wife to drive while I calibrate).

Speed camera database and speed of road notifications via GPS - accuracy dependent on the quality of the database - it was last updated a month ago. Haven't switched this on apart from a quick play with it. Might switch it on for unfamiliar routes.

A similar warning sytem to ACC, albeit with an optical trigger rather than radar. Possibly useful for the wife's A1 without ACC, but I switched it off for the Golf.

The unit is very adaptable in the settings - motion recording or time-lapse modes of parking protection and sensitivity adjustment for event logging.

Picture quality is noticeably better on the 1080p output of the F770's rear cam than the Blackvue's, far more so at night, front camera not noticeably better in good conditions. The camera/sensor combo is officially a little better on the F770. You can pick 3 profiles for SD card allocation of main/incident/parking partitions.

Slightly better camera combo, slightly more conspicuous for considerably less money, and it seems to run quite cool. Found a decent Toshiba 128Gb card for it at £25.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2016, 18:53 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #5715 on: 09 December 2016, 08:31 »
I have the Thinkware 750 and am really pleased and would recommend it, the Speed Camera database is pretty accurate from my experience, a camera near me was moved a couple of months ago and within a couple of weeks the database was updated.

I have turned off the proximity warning, too many 'bongs' and seems too sensitive, particularly when moving in queue of traffic.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #5716 on: 10 December 2016, 22:24 »
Cleaned it then admired it.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #5717 on: 12 December 2016, 12:57 »
Jet washed most of the muck off as the sills were just brown, mine is sort of cream now and will get a bit more tlc this weekend but parked it up for a few days and using the M2 for daily duties instead

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #5718 on: 12 December 2016, 13:09 »
Just a 1 week report on the new dashcam. After a previous foray into Dashcams with the Blackvue 650 which fried itself within a week, I held off replacement.

MH, do you run a lead from the dashcam into the 12v socket?  If so, what did you use to affix the wire along the headliner?  Getting myself a dashcam for Xmas so any tips would be appreciated  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5719 on: 12 December 2016, 15:29 »

MH, do you run a lead from the dashcam into the 12v socket?  If so, what did you use to affix the wire along the headliner?  Getting myself a dashcam for Xmas so any tips would be appreciated  :smiley:

I pretty much followed the original guide for blackvue fitment (there's reference to it in a much earlier thread which I think takes you to VWROC forum for the full guide) with one notable exception - with no need for a magic box (thinkware F770 has built in voltage monitoring and shut down), you can take the power lead straight along the windscreen and down the passenger side to the fuse box and tap into 2 places with piggy back leads. The permanent positive (yellow lead) goes to the empty trailer control fuse location (fuse 44, I think), with the switched live (red lead) going to the 12v plug fuse (fuse 40, I think).

Placement of front camera is slightly offcentre towards drives side so the lens is in the middle of the dash, just below the rear view mirror's windscreen fixing.

I put a notch in the plastic cone of the mirror's windscreen fixing so the front-back lead and power lead go in (tidy - it'll cost £7 to replace that part in future when you remove the cam to get rid of the car). The leads tuck in up to where the mirror electrics housing meets the headlining.

From there, the leads tuck into the lip of the headlining and then poked into the gap where A pillar meets the headlining, then behind the rubber lip of the front door seals, with the front/back lead tucking into the B pillar trim top where it meets headlining, and then along the top rubber lip where the rear door frame seal meets the headlining (if you have 3dr you probably don't have that rubber lip and will have to tuck into headlining). You then get to the back trim behind the headlining that clips out on metal spring clips (this is a good place to store the excess length. Pop the trim (again, metal spring clips) on the inner top bootlid (which hides the high level brake light electrics). Then go through the rubber sheath that runs from the back of the car into the boot lid (these are a bugger to remove without breaking a clip). Poke the rear camera lead through the sheath with the plug taped to a metal coathanger or pipe cleaner (the longest, fiddliest part of the job). Fix the camera with the adhesive pad between top and 2nd line of heating elements of the rear screen. Tape/cable tie the excess lead and clip your trims/sheath back in.

Run camera front/back lead down drivers side and power down passengers side - less girth to poke/hide than running 2 leads the same side.

You can hide every trace of lead if you do it right.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2016, 15:35 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.