Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5580 on: 30 October 2016, 13:31 »
You wouldn't buy the JCW as a motorway cruiser thats for sure!

The Polo GTI is actually real world very quick as it has quite high gearing in the lower gears so you can hustle them pretty quickly at sensible speeds.
The R is very low geared in first and second so can be pretty slow off the line unless you're red-lining the thing which ain't ideal until you have a very warm engine.

I was just discussing with an old friend of mine who lives down the road from me how it's impossible to drive anywhere quickly any more anyway. He has a V8 American muscle car and just sold his Golf GTI mk5 which he'd owned from new and bought his wife a Beetle TSI to replace it. He was passing compliments on my Golf as I was cleaning it and we got round to discussing how useless the power is in modern cars such as the R if you only use them as general road cars - go out after dark when the roads are quiet and you'll splatter a fox or badger all over the front end, go out during the day and you'll be stuck behind some self righteous git in a Prius.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #5581 on: 30 October 2016, 17:39 »
Maybe it's where you live Andy, but I only drive my R at the weekends and I always manage to have fun :whistle:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5582 on: 30 October 2016, 22:16 »
Maybe it's where you live Andy, but I only drive my R at the weekends and I always manage to have fun :whistle:
The roads are snarled up with day trippers around where I live at weekends. All the sports cars come out for posing and people pretending they're living the high life.
During the week it's snarled up with work traffic and OAPs and overnight you've got to watch out for deer, badgers and foxes.
All the good old roads we used to blast along in our GTIs many years ago now have 40 or 30mph limits and have been built up.
Depressing stuff!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5583 on: 30 October 2016, 22:55 »
After giving the inside a good going over, it was the outside's turn. 

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=279108.new#new
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5584 on: 30 October 2016, 23:00 »
The roads are snarled up with day trippers around where I live at weekends. All the sports cars come out for posing and people pretending they're living the high life.
During the week it's snarled up with work traffic and OAPs and overnight you've got to watch out for deer, badgers and foxes.
All the good old roads we used to blast along in our GTIs many years ago now have 40 or 30mph limits and have been built up.
Depressing stuff!

How far down and to the left a bit are you Exonian? I'm not far from Bodmin tonight, Jamaica Inn to be precise.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5585 on: 30 October 2016, 23:12 »
Welcome to the West Country Watts!

I'm a bit to the right of you.

The clue is in the rather unimaginative user name: I'm just outside of Exeter

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5586 on: 31 October 2016, 07:52 »
Welcome to the West Country Watts!

I'm a bit to the right of you.

The clue is in the rather unimaginative user name: I'm just outside of Exeter

Thanks! And jolly nice it is too. First time the car has been packed solid aswell, 4 adults and not a spare square inch in the boot. I think that, along with high speed cruising, has dented the economy somewhat!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5587 on: 31 October 2016, 10:09 »
Yes, plus the relentless hills you've had to drive over once you're past the Somerset flats; Exmoor, Dartmoor and then Bodmin moor don't help with economy (assuming you went M5 and A30 not that it makes that much difference).
Where else are you visiting on your trip?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #5588 on: 31 October 2016, 13:37 »
Not done much this weekend part from good clean inside faffed about adding logo's to DAB stations fitted the upgraded H7 xenon bulbs for the cornering lights must say they do make a difference and look way better than the yellow hue the normal bulbs were.... :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5589 on: 31 October 2016, 23:48 »
Yes, plus the relentless hills you've had to drive over once you're past the Somerset flats; Exmoor, Dartmoor and then Bodmin moor don't help with economy (assuming you went M5 and A30 not that it makes that much difference).
Where else are you visiting on your trip?

Actually, economy has been reasonable, 38+mpg, pretty good in the circumstances. Been to Lands End today, now in Newlyn. Great time had by all in the Red Lion with the pool table and juke box. Breeders Cannonball, hadn't heard that for a while :smiley:
« Last Edit: 01 November 2016, 00:22 by Watts »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.