Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785047 times)

Offline Raffe

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5570 on: 29 October 2016, 18:06 »
Cleaned inside and out and removed the snow grate out of the air box, not sure I can tell any difference  :whistle:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5571 on: 29 October 2016, 18:07 »
If BMW make a nicer looking 1 series i'd be all over it. I like the 3 series but don't have need for a car that big (and the missus wouldn't dare drive it). Following my experiences with dealerships over the last few years, i feel BMW would be most deserving of my money, my local BMW dealerships in the Newcastle area are always very friendly, no nonsense places that seem to know what they're selling and fixing. The local BMW bodyshop are by far the best VW approved bodyshop in the area and every one of their staff were great in budging the insurance company along following a bump from an awkward bugger who didn't report the incident.

My local Audi garage has been less than useless with a minor warranty job on the A1, and they have that slimy estate agent vibe about them. VW dealerships locally have been a mixed bag with warranty work - I make a point of sending the car to Pulman Sunderland, even though it is a bit inconvenient compared to the Lookers (formerly Benfield) dealership, but they do a far better job of it.

Come on BMW, make me a nice looking Golf-sized car!
Completely agree!
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5572 on: 29 October 2016, 18:09 »
If BMW make a nicer looking 1 series i'd be all over it. I like the 3 series but don't have need for a car that big (and the missus wouldn't dare drive it). Following my experiences with dealerships over the last few years, i feel BMW would be most deserving of my money, my local BMW dealerships in the Newcastle area are always very friendly, no nonsense places that seem to know what they're selling and fixing. The local BMW bodyshop are by far the best VW approved bodyshop in the area and every one of their staff were great in budging the insurance company along following a bump from an awkward bugger who didn't report the incident.

My local Audi garage has been less than useless with a minor warranty job on the A1, and they have that slimy estate agent vibe about them. VW dealerships locally have been a mixed bag with warranty work - I make a point of sending the car to Pulman Sunderland, even though it is a bit inconvenient compared to the Lookers (formerly Benfield) dealership, but they do a far better job of it.

Completely agree!

JCW Mini and make passengers walk!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5573 on: 29 October 2016, 18:11 »

I'll tell you who makes a nice looking Golf-sized car.........VW.  :whistle: :grin: :wink:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5574 on: 29 October 2016, 20:00 »

As fast as the JCW is, the Mini is still a lasses car with a Fisherprice dashboard. I feel a little less of a girl driving the A1. Wish the missus had got the Polo GTI I was pushing her towards.  :rolleyes:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5575 on: 29 October 2016, 20:05 »

I'll tell you who makes a nice looking Golf-sized car.........VW.  :whistle: :grin: :wink:

It's down to the proportions, the Golf has Supermini proportions in a bigger car (I loved the look of the Peugeot 306 way back too), the 1 series looks too long for its size to me, and those chunky sills.  :sick: I do like BMW engineering, but even my cousin's neighbour (who buys a new M3 every 3 years and has a super secure detached double garage that looks like Tony Stark's workshop) admits BMW build quality has also taken a dip over the last 5 years.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5576 on: 30 October 2016, 10:00 »
Not today but recently.
Finally replaced my headunit with Discover Pro satnav.

You had the basic sat nav before?  I didn't think any sort of upgrade worked because of vw protections...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #5577 on: 30 October 2016, 11:01 »
Removed summer wheels, as tread is getting very low
Fitted the Clubsport red ring caps to the Nogaros
Fitted winters
Quick wash (very quick...rain started lashing down  :smiley: )

How much were your centre caps?  They seemed expensive when I asked the dealer...

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5578 on: 30 October 2016, 12:59 »

As fast as the JCW is, the Mini is still a lasses car with a Fisherprice dashboard. I feel a little less of a girl driving the A1. Wish the missus had got the Polo GTI I was pushing her towards.  :rolleyes:
As small as it might appear to chest beating alpha males I'd never label JCW MINIs as girlie girl cars.
Standard MINIs maybe, but the JCW is pretty hardcore and I know a guy (yes, a real man with wife and kids to prove it) who has one with an optional exhaust that's proper loud pure comedy to listen to.
A1s are girls cars, S1s less so and Polo GTIs I'm on the fence about.
JCWs are definitely in petrol head territory, they're a bit too uncompromising for girlie girls.

I've spent a bit of time this last week or so getting up close and personal with a new Merc A180 2.1 Diesel, a Focus (Black Line?) 1.5 petrol, a hired M135i and a colleague's brand new MINI Cooper D.

I appreciate to a Duplo Enthusiast that there might be a bit of brand rivalry with Fisher Price dashboards but all I can say is the new MINI is great with its (optional) head up display and fancy sound system from the Tech pack. The 1.5 Diesel goes really well and sounds quite good too plus it has a turning circle mk7 Golfs can but dream of.
Get in the interior of the Merc (nice tombstone seats aside), Focus and my Golf and they're all much of a muchness. Slightly different plastics and cloth but everything else similar in all three, down to dimensions and colour scheme.
The M135i felt well screwed together but I don't really like the interior.
You can't help but love that engine though.
Get in the MINI and you can't mistake it for anything else. Especially if you have to get in the back!!
But the MINI is fun to drive in ways other modern cars aren't.
The Merc, Focus and my Golf all feel very bland in comparison. The 135i is more interesting to drive but despite the prodigious low speed torque it seems to need to be wound up a bit to make decent progress. Maybe it's the 20 speed auto gearbox that makes it feel that way when you're using low revs despite a really low torque peak? Great fun car though (but I still prefer getting back in my Golf after a stint behind the wheel in the 135i and I can't put my finger on the reason why).

Oh, and what did I do to my Mk7 today?
Wheeled it out of the garage for the first time in over a week and a half, washed it, dried it, and wheeled it back in again. I don't use it anymore because I have a different toy now. A third of the power of the R, but three times as much FUN to drive!

Anyway, I'll leave you all to discuss flipping CSS's and how much money you're going to make and retire to a MINI forum to discuss make-up tips and household cleaning solutions...
 :kiss:  :kiss:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5579 on: 30 October 2016, 13:14 »
I was behind a JCW for a short spell on the way to the Metrocentre yesterday, lots of pops from the exhaust with very little effort, definitely built for the boy/girl racer. These little hot hatches are more fun around the doors because they lack the refinement of the bigger cars.

That Polo GTI I tried to get the wife to buy is a lot more fun to fling around than my R, because it feels a lot rougher around the edges and quicker than it actually is. I expect the S1 to be a hoot, but it's just so expensive when you get the equipment levels up to something reasonable - you might as well get an S3.

Refinement of the MQB platform does make everything feel a bit flat.