Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline wigit

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5330 on: 13 September 2016, 10:58 »
Mrs W's is in for its second service after 18 months and 15k, reporting the rear discs and pads are worn by 80%. I think that is actually really poor, love to know what she has been doing

Will be interesting what they say to mine on Thursday

Ironically yesterday she said she may want to sell it

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #5331 on: 13 September 2016, 13:44 »
I wonder how significant the brake wear is increased due to using the adaptive cruise frequently?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5332 on: 13 September 2016, 16:09 »
I'd have thought that the likelihood of the rears wearing before the fronts is unusual at best... and then chuck in the mileage. Sounds more like a fault somewhere - something dragging the calipers? And its done disc damage as well as pads... deffo weird.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #5333 on: 13 September 2016, 16:28 »
Mrs W's is in for its second service after 18 months and 15k, reporting the rear discs and pads are worn by 80%. I think that is actually really poor, love to know what she has been doing

have you checked?  Dealers say loads of sh** to get people to pay for things are a service.  Just had my 2nd service and 12k and not even mentioned on the inspection due to so little wear.

If its true its not normal, my guess is they mean the fronts...

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5334 on: 13 September 2016, 18:25 »
As above, I'd check rather than relying on a dealer. Some years ago my wife's care went in for a service and the report back was that the front brakes were quite worn and we should think about changing them. I'd changed the discs and pads two days earlier.

I got a healthy discount on the service when I pointed this out and asked what they were playing at.

That said...

Rear brakes do tend to wear more heavily on modern cars as the ESP is always doing something. Could be that your other half is driving in a manner to cause the car to brake the rears more for stability thus wearing them quicker?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5335 on: 13 September 2016, 21:11 »

Perhaps the electric hand brake is staying partly on? My last car was 12 years old and a smidge under 100k miles when I sold it and it'd had one set of replacement pads front and back but all discs were still good.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5336 on: 13 September 2016, 22:00 »
As others have said digit, doesn't sound right at all unless mrs w has been a very naughty girl!  Sounds like there must be some mechanical reason for the wear if it is actually the case.  Has she had any noticeable issues?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #5337 on: 14 September 2016, 11:22 »
I think dealer BS having checked these last night and given it a thorough road test

They will just get marked down in the service questionnaire and an e-mail dropped to customer services

Mrs W is not a demon on the brakes

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5338 on: 14 September 2016, 15:47 »
I think dealer BS having checked these last night and given it a thorough road test

They will just get marked down in the service questionnaire and an e-mail dropped to customer services

Mrs W is not a demon on the brakes

As I said, you don't need to be hot on the brakes these days. The ESP makes adjustments all of the time on a modern car, even when the light doesn't come on. It's perfectly possible for someone to drive in a style (road types/weather/driving ability/etc) to use more intervention without tanking round everywhere.

However, if you've looked at the discs and they're ok then the dealer is just wanting some extra spends  :rolleyes:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5339 on: 15 September 2016, 16:50 »
Got the phone call to say repairs are complete and car ready.  Picking it up tomorrow morning.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11