Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785020 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5310 on: 10 September 2016, 00:03 »
More what did I buy for it....

Ordered Blackvue DR650S 2CH dashcam and Power Magic Pro kit for hardwiring to fuse box of car.  Organised a group buy for Blackvue stuff on another forum so got it with a reasonable bit of discount. Decided to get a pro to install it so all booked in for installation on Fri 23rd Sept.  Should hopefully have it back end next week from the bodyshop.

I'd advise caution for continuous use - that front camera/main unit overheats very easily. I loved the stealth look of the 650 when I fitted the 2 channel set-up, but within a week it was fried and back it went the the Amazon seller.

Thanks, yes I saw your earlier comments about that issue. Will keep an eye on it and mention that to the installer or Blavkvue for their opinion.  I'm buying direct from them so if there is an issue confident they will deal with it properly. I know a few with this unit and they've not reported any adverse issues.  Could you have had a faulty unit?

It was reportedly a common fault with the unit - I did my research after the failure to decide whether to get a replacement or my money back, and decided on the latter. The unit runs hot, with a lack of decent ventilation. When the car is parked in a sunny spot, it effectively becomes a greenhouse, which doesn't help matters - maybe parking in the shade if it is on continuously will help.

I don't think it is an issue limited to the Blackvue 650 - continuous running generates continuous heat for most dashcams - maybe that's why the car companies don't offer systems of their own as optional equipment?

Thanks for the info and warning MH, something to be aware of then.  I will try to park in shade but not from trees, lol.   :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #5311 on: 10 September 2016, 13:20 »
I have the DR600, and whilst it gets warm, I don't leave it on in parking mode

It did have to get sent back to the manufacturer for a reflash whilst out of warranty, as for some reason, it simply stopped working correctly but it was put down to a firmware fault

I find the dash and windscreen give glare into the lens in bright conditions, but invested in a polariser filter which has made a huge difference - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141556524456
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5312 on: 10 September 2016, 13:27 »
I have the DR600, and whilst it gets warm, I don't leave it on in parking mode

It did have to get sent back to the manufacturer for a reflash whilst out of warranty, as for some reason, it simply stopped working correctly but it was put down to a firmware fault

I find the dash and windscreen give glare into the lens in bright conditions, but invested in a polariser filter which has made a huge difference - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141556524456

Thanks for the link to the polariser filter.  Will see how it fares initially but might be something to get later down the line.  Cheers.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline wesbar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5313 on: 10 September 2016, 20:45 »
Finally got sick of plugging my phone 'manually' into a lightning cable and fitted a brodit mount with slide in holder for my iPhone. Makes using CarPlay a lot easier.

Any pics please?

There you go.
Mk7 Golf GTI, DSG, CSG, Performance Pack, Santiago's, App Connect, Park Assist, 90% Tints

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5314 on: 10 September 2016, 20:51 »
^^

Thank you.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline wesbar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5315 on: 10 September 2016, 21:01 »
One of the good things is that when Apple maps is running on the head unit, the iPhone shows a list of the next turns which is handy.
Mk7 Golf GTI, DSG, CSG, Performance Pack, Santiago's, App Connect, Park Assist, 90% Tints

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5316 on: 11 September 2016, 12:31 »
My car is 6 month's old tomorrow and I've just passed the 2000 miles mark.
That's not a typo by the way, I really did say two thousand miles!
Had a GTE behind me today and them DRL's really stand out.
Not sure I like them or not :undecided:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #5317 on: 11 September 2016, 17:49 »
Ordered some Clubsport wheel caps - should be a nice touch to go with my Red GTD and the black of the 18" Nogaro

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5318 on: 11 September 2016, 18:32 »
Ordered some Clubsport wheel caps - should be a nice touch to go with my Red GTD and the black of the 18" Nogaro

They look cool. They'd go even better on my carbon grey GTI with red accents :smiley:
Do you have a link to them please?
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline phope

• I live here