Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785009 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5260 on: 03 September 2016, 23:18 »

Mother f**ker. So gutted for you becca. This is becoming an all to common occurrence :-(

Took the words out of my mouth Snooze.

Frustrating times with my car, but hopefully it will return all fixed and hopefully all panels the same colour, and with 4 matching Prets.  :undecided:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline jockonabike

• Just got here
« Reply #5261 on: 04 September 2016, 16:42 »
i fitted a set of wheelskins from kliimotorwerkes to my Austins,

Look pretty good IMHO..

Untitled by Graeme Matheson, on Flickr

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5262 on: 04 September 2016, 16:56 »
Someone else did this to it.... :cry:

Out and about in the car on work business this afternoon and hit in the rear coming off a roundabout by a transit type van.  Hit my passenger side rear wing and bumper.  Fair bit of damage to rear off side wing, bumper, rear light and the wheel and damage under wheel arch.   F**king hell!

I was indicating left and had all but exited the roundabout onto the dual carriageway when heard and felt a bang which rocked the back of the car.  I immediately pulled off the dual carriageway into a nearby side road and parked up. I didn't see the vehicle that hit me, but a few moments later a blue Peugeot pulled up into the side road and came alongside me and wound down his window.  Assumed he must be the driver that hit me but it was someone who witnessed the incident. Incredibly, I knew the witness guy (someone used to work with) - he said a transit type van had hit me in the rear.  He was travelling behind the van and he’d seen what happened and transit driver was at fault. 

The transit was indicating right, to go right round the roundabout but was driving in the left hand lane and hit the back of me, just as I was leaving the roundabout and still clearly indicating left.  He said the transit had then pulled off into a different side road but by the time I got back in the car and round the one way system to that location it was gone.  I phoned him later to get a description of the van, he unfortunately hadn't been able to get the reg number but said it was very distinctive large brown transit of some sort, with a hotchpotch of panels painted different colours.  I suddenly realised that I had seen it on my way back round the roundabout on way to police station but didn't know it was the offending van at the time!!!  I have reported it to the police and will be checking to see if there’s any cctv covering the roundabout and adjacent area that may have captured the incident and hopefully identify the van. Also reported to my insurer and I' arranging to get the car assessed and a quote from my preferred repairer later this week.

P!ssed off doesn't even begin to describe it.

The damage

Rebecca, just returned from holiday and seen this, absolutely gutted for you. Hope it gets sorted out quickly and back to its normal gleaming condition. Neil
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5263 on: 04 September 2016, 17:05 »

Look pretty good IMHO..

I like that...... :cool: Looks really good on a black GTI. Car looks good too; super shiny!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #5264 on: 04 September 2016, 17:28 »
The wheel wraps look like a great way to cover up the white worm that inevitably affects Austin alloys.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5265 on: 04 September 2016, 19:19 »
Bought a pair of carbon fibre covered replacement door mirror caps. Arrived in the post this morning. Struggled a bit fitting the first one, my original red one suddenly came off and ended up on the floor with a few marks  :angry: Okay though I thought, I won't be refitting them.... Then, I started on the other and having removed the mirror glass which makes it a lot easier, the old cover came off without incident but, in just positioning the new one one of the retaining clips just snapped off :cry: I could understand if I was forcing it on but I wasn't. I suppose that's the problem with pattern parts. Emailed the seller to see if they will sort it for me. The one that went on looked great too  :cry:
You could try contacting Ebay saying you have a problem with the item, might be able to get a new one or money back that way as it sounds it was not fit for purpose.

Oh well, not exactly surprising but the seller told me to bu**er off! So, £90 down the drain :angry:

I don't think there would be much mileage in that approach, ultimately they arrived in one piece and failed in my hands. Life's too short. I've decided to cut my loses and if anyone fancies a punt, I've advertised them in the classifieds on this site. Not looking for a fortune as I appreciate the difficulties but I reckon a clever practical sort could do something with them and net a bargain. I'm going to look for another pair or I may consider getting them wrapped.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Damion

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5266 on: 04 September 2016, 19:30 »
Feel for you, heartbreaking when you look after your car so well, had same type of damage on my old GTD, had a great repair job on it, but my OCD had me looking at the blending on the quarter panel daily, just looking for any imperfections.
Traded it in was the result.
2016 R!
2016 GTI PP Ordered and cancelled
2015 3DR GTD
2011 3DR GTD
2008 3DR 2.0TDI GT Sport

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5267 on: 04 September 2016, 20:12 »

Look pretty good IMHO..

I think they look fantastic.  Great job.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5268 on: 04 September 2016, 20:14 »
Rebecca, just returned from holiday and seen this, absolutely gutted for you. Hope it gets sorted out quickly and back to its normal gleaming condition. Neil

Thanks Neil.  Yeah it's a bit of a downer but hoping it will come back from the bodyshop in good order and stand up to scrutiny.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5269 on: 04 September 2016, 20:16 »
Feel for you, heartbreaking when you look after your car so well, had same type of damage on my old GTD, had a great repair job on it, but my OCD had me looking at the blending on the quarter panel daily, just looking for any imperfections.
Traded it in was the result.

Thanks.  Yes I will be staring at the repainted panels quite a lot I think. The upside is that I have had respraying and blending work done by this particular bodyshop both on my current R and my previous GTI and the quality of the work is top notch.   
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual