Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5210 on: 31 August 2016, 19:24 »
I don't think it would take much of a collision to cause that damage.
It would have had to been the drivers side so yeah he probably did notice especially with the behaviour you describe.

My boys wing was pulled off and a part of his bumper missing from the police van that hit him on a roundabout as well and there wasn't a mark on his vehicle.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5211 on: 31 August 2016, 19:30 »
The GTI had a puncture so I took the alloy to Costco as I had a good experience with them the last time.
However this time they put the new weight on top of the foam that was left from peeling off the old weight.
Luckily I saw it before I drove home.
They also scored a lot of the rear rim, with the black paint missing  :cry: Thankfully the front is fine so I can live with that. Just!!

Then when I got home and went to put it back on the car I seen the plug was still hanging out!!!

After a 35 mile round trip to go back tonight they say that is perfectly normal and how you are meant to plug a puncture!!!!

Anyone know for sure as I've never seen the plug before on any of my punctures.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5212 on: 31 August 2016, 19:36 »
When ive done a repair I try to cut it off as flush as possible. My mate also repaired one of my tyres today and it sits flush to the tyre I believe

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5213 on: 31 August 2016, 19:41 »
Yeah Thats what I thought happened but he was adamant you shouldn't cut it as it can be cut too short and then be ineffective.

He said it would wear down quickly as it is soft rubber but I reckon with the weight of the car on the protruding bit it could eventually dislodge the whole plug!!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5214 on: 31 August 2016, 19:43 »
The bit hanging beyond the hole isn't plugging anything - they should have cut it flush with the tread.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5215 on: 31 August 2016, 20:02 »
Its the plug that's pushed through from the inside apparently.
I've tried cutting it with a stanley and its not for budging.

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #5216 on: 31 August 2016, 20:08 »
Sorry to hear that Bec.
Do you think the driver even noticed he had hit you especially if its a big van?
Hopefully if he's got a conscience he's hoping you chap on his door or is actively looking for you. 

You can hope   :undecided:

Hopefully you have better luck with DirectLine than we have had.
Police car hit my sons car at the beginning of February this year and we are no further forward.
They promised to do XY&Z every time I called (and I called every week) and they never bothered to do it.
I've been doing all the running about.

On the bright side though, you at least have a repairer that you are happy with so you have no need to have reservations about the quality of their work.

There's no way the van couldn't have been aware it had hit me Stevie. It was a really big thump.  And then his behaviour of turning into that side road but having been indicating to going right round but in wrong lane), is odd.  The more I think about it the more I think he wanted to get out of sight for a while.  And then having seen it later (only becoming aware of that after the witnesses description) well it looked like it panels from a variety of other vehicles patching it up and looked for all the world like it wasn't the first collision it had been involved in.

Time will tell with Direct Line. It's the Police that seem apathetic as they don't like pursuing incidents on roundabouts, and they seemed not to care less about a vehicle fleeing the scene of an accident which I always thought was against the law!

Properly gutted for Bec, after the other knocks and bruises recently to get it back into good shape and then have this happen.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5217 on: 31 August 2016, 20:19 »
Booth 11
Just read this and cant believe the bad luck you are having with this car and Ass*ole drivers .
My mothers car got bumped last year and direct line were really good (, in fact I changed to them recently after being with previous insurer for 12 years but I always called them when renewal came in and got it cheaper ).Not that this will help you feel better .
Hope the police get their finger out and catch the driver

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5218 on: 31 August 2016, 20:28 »

It is, well more like pulled through the hole with pincers rather than pushed - The plug is like a mushroom, the big top is stuck to the inside of the tyre around the hole, the bit you see sticking out is the bottom of the mushroom stalk, that stalk is tapered so the start of it easily fits through the hole in the tyre that the repairer has drilled the puncture out from, and the stalk is pulled until the mushroom top (glued) is flush with teh inner surface of the tyre.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2016, 20:32 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5219 on: 31 August 2016, 20:29 »
I've tried cutting it with a stanley and its not for budging.
I always use proper snips as theres a little bugger sometimes. But as said should be as flush as can get. The repair is technically on the inside with glue and such if it was a little under the tread depth it would still (id have thought) be effective if repaired properly