Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785023 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5100 on: 09 August 2016, 14:43 »
Hi Booth, Would you not recommend Claying in General then? A lot of people say that you should Clay a brand new car before applying polish to it to remove all the deposits from it?

Will be interesting to hear your view?

Hi SCOTTE, I was only saying in this instance that better for Raffe to try removing the Cuprinol by other means first which may well negate claying in his case. 

I would recommend claying a new car, but only if you are definitely going to polish (preferably with DA) it afterwards. Reason being that claying, being an abrasive action, can often leave marring (even with good technique) and polishing (light finishing polish) will easily get rid of clay marring.  Claying without polishing will leave the paintwork in an unrefined condition.

But if you are not intending to polish it, I personally would not clay it.  In either case it is best to carry out an initial decontamination of the car first with iron/fallout remover and then a glue/tar remover.  These stages are low risk decontamination stages which tend to be spray on/rinse off processs, so require minimal touching of paintwork and therefore less risk of swirls or marking the paintwork.  On a new car there's a good chance that the majority of embedded contaminants will be removed by iron and tar remover.  After doing this I would suggest the plastic sandwich bag test - pop hand into bag and run flat palm over panels.  Any roughness indicates that there are still embedded contaminants present and if so, this is when claying would be the next step.  But as said highly recommend following with a polish. 

When I first got my R I did the iron and tar stages, and there was no need to clay as the paintwork was glassy smooth afterwards. Polishing was not necessary at this stage, because it wasn't clayed and as it wasn't dealer prepped, the paintwork was in great condition.  I'll be doing a full detail, incl de-iron, de-tar, claying and DA polishing, protection this autumn, ready for the winter months.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2016, 14:45 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #5101 on: 09 August 2016, 15:18 »
Thanks for tips, sadly water alone isn't removing it so will try some tar remover before going all out with the clay :cool:

On the positive side my pedal box turned up today so looking forward to getting that fitted.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline SCOTTE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5102 on: 10 August 2016, 07:42 »
Hi Booth, Would you not recommend Claying in General then? A lot of people say that you should Clay a brand new car before applying polish to it to remove all the deposits from it?

Hi SCOTTE, I was only saying in this instance that better for Raffe to try removing the Cuprinol by other means first which may well negate claying in his case. 

I would recommend claying a new car, but only if you are definitely going to polish (preferably with DA) it afterwards. Reason being that claying, being an abrasive action, can often leave marring (even with good technique) and polishing (light finishing polish) will easily get rid of clay marring.  Claying without polishing will leave the paintwork in an unrefined condition.

But if you are not intending to polish it, I personally would not clay it.  In either case it is best to carry out an initial decontamination of the car first with iron/fallout remover and then a glue/tar remover.  These stages are low risk decontamination stages which tend to be spray on/rinse off processs, so require minimal touching of paintwork and therefore less risk of swirls or marking the paintwork.  On a new car there's a good chance that the majority of embedded contaminants will be removed by iron and tar remover.  After doing this I would suggest the plastic sandwich bag test - pop hand into bag and run flat palm over panels.  Any roughness indicates that there are still embedded contaminants present and if so, this is when claying would be the next step.  But as said highly recommend following with a polish. 

When I first got my R I did the iron and tar stages, and there was no need to clay as the paintwork was glassy smooth afterwards. Polishing was not necessary at this stage, because it wasn't clayed and as it wasn't dealer prepped, the paintwork was in great condition.  I'll be doing a full detail, incl de-iron, de-tar, claying and DA polishing, protection this autumn, ready for the winter months.

Thanks Booth for the information very helpful. This is what i had planned, be interest to hear your thoughts on it.  :smiley:

1. Clay car using Autoglym clay surface kit.

2. Apply two coats of Car Lack complete

3. Apply Two coats of Car Lack Longlife.

Top up with the Fast Detailer after washing.

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #5103 on: 10 August 2016, 10:02 »
I would agree with Booth, I prepped my car and did Ironx plus tar remover ,but I did not clay bar, the finish was top class. I have had a reason to clay my rear qtr. recently and it did leave marks that I could not polish out by hand..I ended up buying a DA polisher and that has done the job.

In hindsight I wish I had approached the rear quarter with more patients instead of thinking that clay bar was the only option, for a while the finish on the rear quarter was really poor no matter how much time I tried to hand polish it out, its about 90% as good as it was now and with more experience with the DA polisher I will try for that extra 10%.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5104 on: 10 August 2016, 10:29 »
Booked in for 1st service at Wishaw VW (Arnold Clark) via website. Added instructions 'Please do not wash my car' and advised I want to wait whilst they are servicing it. I'll be giving it a clean the day before hopefully and taking photos before I had the keys over (fingers crossed all goes ok!)

Of course, I'll be putting my 'Please do not clean my car' wo-wo hangar in when I take it! :grin:

It will be at about 10.5K miles when it goes in. I can't believe I've done so many miles in such a short space of time - I'm normally about 1K a month but have had a few extra trips down south in the last 6 months!
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5105 on: 10 August 2016, 11:34 »

Thanks Booth for the information very helpful. This is what i had planned, be interest to hear your thoughts on it.  :smiley:

1. Clay car using Autoglym clay surface kit.

2. Apply two coats of Car Lack complete

3. Apply Two coats of Car Lack Longlife.

Top up with the Fast Detailer after washing.

Purely your choice, but I would recommend trying iron remover and tar remover first for reasons in earlier post.  As you are not polishing I would avoid claying.  Rest looks good.  Carlack Complete will cleanse and seal and the Longlife sealant will give added protection, plus your maintenance refresh with QD.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5106 on: 10 August 2016, 11:37 »
I would agree with Booth, I prepped my car and did Ironx plus tar remover ,but I did not clay bar, the finish was top class. I have had a reason to clay my rear qtr. recently and it did leave marks that I could not polish out by hand..I ended up buying a DA polisher and that has done the job.

In hindsight I wish I had approached the rear quarter with more patients instead of thinking that clay bar was the only option, for a while the finish on the rear quarter was really poor no matter how much time I tried to hand polish it out, its about 90% as good as it was now and with more experience with the DA polisher I will try for that extra 10%.

Sounds like it just needs a few passes with a finishing polish and pad for final refinement.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5107 on: 10 August 2016, 11:38 »
On the subject of detailing, can I just remind people that we do have a dedicated detailing section for these for detailing chats and advice.  It's not always of great interest to other members in the general section :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5108 on: 10 August 2016, 14:47 »
On the subject of detailing, can I just remind people that we do have a dedicated detailing section for these for detailing chats and advice.  It's not always of great interest to other members in the general section :smiley:
Don't worry Rebecca, I'm back fro holiday on Friday so I'll post some pics of my no doubt bird sh!t covered car in the detailing section if I can remember how.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5109 on: 10 August 2016, 18:34 »
Don't worry Rebecca, I'm back fro holiday on Friday so I'll post some pics of my no doubt bird sh!t covered car in the detailing section if I can remember how.

Can't wait.  :grin:  Although I only need to look out my window to see that exact thing on my driveway.  Thankfully it survived the airport car park undamaged, but is filthy and the birds had the decency to only crap on the windscreen which was a bonus.  Hope yours is in good order when you pick it up.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual