Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784992 times)

Offline Mrparkuk

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5020 on: 26 July 2016, 18:04 »
Sound words as always from your good self. It really was much better than I thought it would be. I know this decision will a tough one. If I do pull the trigger and go for the swap I know I'll love it. Just having to justify the extra monthly. Is it really worth that much more? The gti is a superb car and I'm fortunate to have it. I have now dinned at the top table as it were and I want the extra acceleration, traction, confidence and soundtrack! Shame I'm also looking at insurance costs, additional fuel costs, alarming depreciation and losing the gti exclusivity. ( 11 R's localy at last count, only one other gti seen). Watch this space! :cool:

Not sure how fast your throttle response now is but I thought the standard was very good. Yours (Booth11) must be stunning. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 26 July 2016, 18:06 by Mrparkuk »
Current-Jan 2017 M140i, auto. Mineral Grey. ☠😈

Gone-mk7 golf Gti PP, Carbon Grey, 2015 specification, 5dr.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5021 on: 26 July 2016, 19:27 »
Sound words as always from your good self. It really was much better than I thought it would be. I know this decision will a tough one. If I do pull the trigger and go for the swap I know I'll love it. Just having to justify the extra monthly. Is it really worth that much more? The gti is a superb car and I'm fortunate to have it. I have now dinned at the top table as it were and I want the extra acceleration, traction, confidence and soundtrack! Shame I'm also looking at insurance costs, additional fuel costs, alarming depreciation and losing the gti exclusivity. ( 11 R's localy at last count, only one other gti seen). Watch this space! :cool:

Not sure how fast your throttle response now is but I thought the standard was very good. Yours (Booth11) must be stunning. :smiley:

I'd be surprised if your insurance costs go up appreciably - the ACC keeps Golf insurance costs down. My R was about a tenner a year LESS to insure than my MK7 GTD. The R (going off current GFVs) will still have better % residuals than the GTI (Possibly Clubsport excepted), which offsets the extra cost of it.

The fuel costs will be higher, due to using RON97/98/99 - you can keep tabs on that by using Tesco Momentum 99 which i've found to be equal to Shell V-power and noticeably better than Esso and BP's RON97 offerings. Currently paying 114.9p/L, which is only 2p a litre more than Shell's standard unleaded locally. V-power costs about 8p/L more for me, simply not worth it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mrparkuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5022 on: 26 July 2016, 19:52 »

I'd be surprised if your insurance costs go up appreciably - the ACC keeps Golf insurance costs down. My R was about a tenner a year LESS to insure than my MK7 GTD. The R (going off current GFVs) will still have better % residuals than the GTI (Possibly Clubsport excepted), which offsets the extra cost of it.

The fuel costs will be higher, due to using RON97/98/99 - you can keep tabs on that by using Tesco Momentum 99 which i've found to be equal to Shell V-power and noticeably better than Esso and BP's RON97 offerings. Currently paying 114.9p/L, which is only 2p a litre more than Shell's standard unleaded locally. V-power costs about 8p/L more for me, simply not worth it.

Cheers for that MH. Your  convincing me!!! You are no doubt correct  about the fuel aspect. I don't do mega mileage so a modest increase. I used Tesco  momentum exclusively in my mountuned  ST fiesta and it was always decent stuff. Insurance has quoted me an extra £30 for a full year and a £50 increase in my excess.

I think a follow up visit is pending. First carwow call this evening. Offered a better final discounted price for the R bit was given considerably less for my gti. The upshot was the monthly was actually higher than that offered by my dealer. As others have said August/ summer the dealers are not at their most generous. I'll try and visit some other vw dealers. As a teacher I still have 6 weeks holiday to fill.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5023 on: 26 July 2016, 20:26 »
MrParkUK: Why not place that order in November (if you can wait that long) - a crappy time of year for the dealerships, so they'll be keener, but think about when you'll be getting it - it'll be ready for the March 17 plate.

Offline MikeP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5024 on: 26 July 2016, 20:41 »
Today I mainly put Revo Stage 1 on my R.

So it's now a Golf Pirate i.e. a Golf Rr!

Goes like stink.

HAs the remap met your expectations of how much quicker you had hoped it would be?

When I did our Mk6 GTi it transformed the car into something quite special.
The throttle response is a lot smoother and power comes in in in a more linear fashion.

Very very quick, and lots of silly smiles.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5025 on: 26 July 2016, 20:52 »
Today I mainly put Revo Stage 1 on my R.

So it's now a Golf Pirate i.e. a Golf Rr!

Goes like stink.

HAs the remap met your expectations of how much quicker you had hoped it would be?

When I did our Mk6 GTi it transformed the car into something quite special.
The throttle response is a lot smoother and power comes in in in a more linear fashion.

Very very quick, and lots of silly smiles.

I'd love to do this to my R, but I wouldn't dare for fear of clutch slip or popping the Turbo, I had no fears adding a DTUK box to my GTD, but the GTI and R don't seem to have much over-engineering in them (especially the clutch). Is your manual or DSG?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5026 on: 26 July 2016, 21:23 »
MrParkUK: Why not place that order in November (if you can wait that long) - a crappy time of year for the dealerships, so they'll be keener, but think about when you'll be getting it - it'll be ready for the March 17 plate.

Given that he has a trade in will this not negate any good deal he'll get in November as his current car will be less desirable as well?

@Mrparkuk or monkeyhanger as you are good with the finances, but is there any difference / advantage to paying a huge deposit with low monthlies compared to a small deposit and large monthlies?

Come the end of the agreement both ways will leave you with the exact same GFV figure.

Would it be more advantageous at the beginning of the agreement as you should owe less than what the car is worth?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Mrparkuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5027 on: 26 July 2016, 21:27 »

Maybe. I could wait as I still have a nice car which I love driving. The dealers weren't really pushing it today. There was a definate 'low pressure' dialogue. It would give me a little more saving up time as well as reducing my existing pcp burden. I'm lie a kid in a sweet shop when it comes to cars. I've always been a little impulsive. In 2002 I went up the town for a hair cut and returned a few hours later having paid a deposit on a house! An old neighbour was going into a care home and his son was chattting saying they would have to sell the house and wasn't looking forward to all the hassle. Made him an offer and deal done. My now wife wasn't too impressed. 7 months later I sold it, unaltered, and made a mint! Shame I can't do the same with cars!  Off topic but I still laugh :smiley:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5028 on: 26 July 2016, 21:30 »

Given that he has a trade in will this not negate any good deal he'll get in November as his current car will be less desirable as well?

@Mrparkuk or monkeyhanger as you are good with the finances, but is there any difference / advantage to paying a huge deposit with low monthlies compared to a small deposit and large monthlies?

Come the end of the agreement both ways will leave you with the exact same GFV figure.

Would it be more advantageous at the beginning of the agreement as you should owe less than what the car is worth?

Huge deposit and low monthlies will see you paying a little less interest over the term, not massively less though, as you'll always be paying interest on the GFV amount no matter how quickly you clear the rest of it. Every month you should be clearing more than the depreciation suffered in that month - in Nov you should have more equity (maybe not much more). More paid upfront will put you in equity sooner if you decide to change before your PCP term is up.

Offline Mrparkuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5029 on: 26 July 2016, 21:33 »

It looks like there are several viable approaches. Both views have their respective merits. I think a beer or two and a good nights sleep will clarify my thoughts.

Thanks to all for your advice / opinions. As always, much appreciated. I'm also nearer to changing my forum status from 'not said much yet' to whatever the next level is! :cool:
« Last Edit: 26 July 2016, 21:38 by Mrparkuk »