Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785020 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4640 on: 22 May 2016, 17:31 »
Well, yesterday, actually! Did my first longish journey in the GTI - a 400 mile round trip, to visit my mum, down south. Went great, as expected - comfortable, quick and smooth, and a bit quieter than the GTD. Obviously not as frugal with fuel, but not disappointed with just under 40 mpg, especially as this included quite a few attempts to perfect the exhaust pop on upshift! It's not just about full throttle and high revs, is it?

Very tempted by these pics of spaced out cars, and looking at Badgeskins as a cheap(er) way of adding a few more red accents.

Altogether lovin' the GTI experience. The GTD was good, but this is GREAT!  :laugh:
If you are thinking of getting spacers, I really can't recommend the Sparco ones enough.
Superbly engineered, cheapish, and the addition of the locating screw to hold the spacer in place is a stroke of genius.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #4641 on: 22 May 2016, 17:45 »
My Sparco wheel spacers arrived from Italy today, hopefully I'll fit them tomorrow if it's a dry day.
Very impressed with the build quality, beautifully machined, and they look gorgeous as well!
They come supplied with all fixings so shouldn't be too hard to fit.
I'll take some photos of them and post them up for anyone who is remotely interested :rolleyes:

They look like a properly engineered kit, kalimon. Got a link to your supplier? What are you going to use for locking bolts?
Great company to deal with and fast delivery.
They also answer any queries very promptly.
http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=24001X828879&site=golfgtiforum.co.uk&xs=1&isjs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F331242142763%3F_trksid%3Dp2060353.m1438.l2649%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT&xguid=e4828ca18f44c84fd9560191dfcd9d4f&xuuid=efc36e6e5f897906436de46a14ec4d9d&xsessid=5e9f657c6f8ffd4b4741c973c17c0b9e&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfgtiforum.co.uk%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dpm&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfgtiforum.co.uk%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D259354.0&xtz=-60

Thank you, ordered a set for my incoming R  :cool:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4642 on: 22 May 2016, 19:04 »
My Sparco wheel spacers arrived from Italy today, hopefully I'll fit them tomorrow if it's a dry day.
Very impressed with the build quality, beautifully machined, and they look gorgeous as well!
They come supplied with all fixings so shouldn't be too hard to fit.
I'll take some photos of them and post them up for anyone who is remotely interested :rolleyes:

They look like a properly engineered kit, kalimon. Got a link to your supplier? What are you going to use for locking bolts?
Great company to deal with and fast delivery.
They also answer any queries very promptly.
http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=24001X828879&site=golfgtiforum.co.uk&xs=1&isjs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F331242142763%3F_trksid%3Dp2060353.m1438.l2649%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT&xguid=e4828ca18f44c84fd9560191dfcd9d4f&xuuid=efc36e6e5f897906436de46a14ec4d9d&xsessid=5e9f657c6f8ffd4b4741c973c17c0b9e&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfgtiforum.co.uk%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dpm&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfgtiforum.co.uk%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D259354.0&xtz=-60

Thank you, ordered a set for my incoming R  :cool:
Nice one :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #4643 on: 22 May 2016, 21:04 »
I've done a couple of things today.
Firstly I passed the 1000 mile mark in my car.
Secondly, I refitted my wheel spacers but this time using the locating screw after sourcing the correct size torx bit.
I also applied some copper grease to the hubs after eventually finding the tub I knew I had.
I also remembered this time to use the screw in wheel guide thingy, made the job a lot easier.
I'll post some pics up later to help any insomniacs get to sleep.

To those of you who have fitted spacers, how do your insurers treat this type of modification? Do they just note it on the policy FOC or do they tend to charge an additional 'premium'?

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4644 on: 22 May 2016, 21:15 »
I've done a couple of things today.
Firstly I passed the 1000 mile mark in my car.
Secondly, I refitted my wheel spacers but this time using the locating screw after sourcing the correct size torx bit.
I also applied some copper grease to the hubs after eventually finding the tub I knew I had.
I also remembered this time to use the screw in wheel guide thingy, made the job a lot easier.
I'll post some pics up later to help any insomniacs get to sleep.

To those of you who have fitted spacers, how do your insurers treat this type of modification? Do they just note it on the policy FOC or do they tend to charge an additional 'premium'?
I personally don't plan to inform them, rightly or wrongly.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #4645 on: 22 May 2016, 21:23 »
So popped to the detailers today to show them my rear arch. The car that scuffed it has gone through the paint in a couple of spots so paint work is required.

He advised the body shop I went to had quoted for a full respray of the rear quarter and a full wheel refurb (£402!!!). On the plus side he recommended another bodyshop. He said they should be able to do a localised repair on both wing and wheel :-).
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4646 on: 22 May 2016, 21:36 »
Hope that works out well for you Snooze.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4647 on: 22 May 2016, 21:48 »

Kalimon, you'll probably find in the wording of your insurance policy it is a requirement of your insurer that you notify them of any modifications to your vehicle, and fitting spacers is a modification as you're changing the factory build spec of your car. Technically, if you've not told them, they could invalidate your cover. Also, if you're unfortunate enough to need to claim, they could repudiate your claim. If you're with a mod-friendly insurer, chances are they'll just add a note to your policy without charge. Worse case scenario, your insurer might make a small charge, but for peace of mind you'd be better off telling them.

I told my insurer when I changed the alloys on my previous car. They asked me the value of the wheels, and needed confirmation that I had locking wheel bolts fitted. They merely noted my policy, and there was no additional charge.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2016, 22:00 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4648 on: 22 May 2016, 22:16 »

Kalimon, you'll probably find in the wording of your insurance policy it is a requirement of your insurer that you notify them of any modifications to your vehicle, and fitting spacers is a modification as you're changing the factory build spec of your car. Technically, if you've not told them, they could invalidate your cover. Also, if you're unfortunate enough to need to claim, they could repudiate your claim. If you're with a mod-friendly insurer, chances are they'll just add a note to your policy without charge. Worse case scenario, your insurer might make a small charge, but for peace of mind you'd be better off telling them.

I told my insurer when I changed the alloys on my previous car. They asked me the value of the wheels, and needed confirmation that I had locking wheel bolts fitted. They merely noted my policy, and there was no additional charge.
You may well have a good point, I'll look into it :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #4649 on: 23 May 2016, 13:41 »
Followed my wife's old GTI Pirelli for about 15 miles on a nice mix of B roads and pleased to see it looking great and being driven as it should  :smiley: