Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785014 times)

Offline titchy

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4480 on: 07 May 2016, 13:15 »
Today a pigeon decided to fly into the side of me at 70mph. I've had the car 2 months and it's the second bird I've hit, the first being a pheasant.

This car is a bird magnet in the wrong sense  :cry:

It's bust my wing mirror. Well, the plastic indicator part of it to be exact.

The wing mirror works fine. It automatically folds in and the indicator still works. I'm wondering if I could get away with replacing the plastic part as I suspect a new wing mirror will cost a small fortune?

Black, 3 Door, MY '16 GTI.
Dynaudio, AppConnect.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4481 on: 07 May 2016, 13:23 »
I'm sure you can. I sustained similar damage to my MK6 door mirror which is a similar enough design. I bought the replacement part (basically the bottom part of the mirror - black unpainted part and indicator lens) and fitted it myself. Less than £100 anyway.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline BigD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4482 on: 07 May 2016, 13:24 »
^^^^ and spacers  :smiley:

How much are the CS caps?

Around 50 quid if I recall correctly

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4483 on: 07 May 2016, 13:40 »
^^^^ and spacers  :smiley:

Around 50 quid if I recall correctly
Ouch!
Well, maybe not too bad really if they don't corrode as badly as the older VW centre caps used to.

Today a pigeon decided to fly into the side of me at 70mph. I've had the car 2 months and it's the second bird I've hit, the first being a pheasant.

This car is a bird magnet in the wrong sense  :cry:

It's bust my wing mirror. Well, the plastic indicator part of it to be exact.

The wing mirror works fine. It automatically folds in and the indicator still works. I'm wondering if I could get away with replacing the plastic part as I suspect a new wing mirror will cost a small fortune?

Is that just the indicator lens broken or other plastic bits?
I can't quite tell from the pic viewing on the phone screen.

Without going back to parking arguments I had a Q7 (or something like that) driver decide to hit my non folding mk6 mirror in a car park and I replaced the plastic lens and mirror lens myself and polished out the paintwork damage to the upper part of the mirror.
It wasn't that expensive but very annoying and needless.

It seems to be pigeon mating season at the moment as a couple of times I've had to slow to almost a stop in country roads because there have been a few pigeons "getting it on" in the road.
Obviously their minds are on other things than potentially lethal cars hitting them right now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4484 on: 07 May 2016, 17:53 »
^^^^

See here. Look good IMO. I'm thinking of adding these and the PP front and rear GTI badges, available from the same place, as the red looks good against Tungsten Silver.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4485 on: 07 May 2016, 18:39 »
^^^^

See here. Look good IMO. I'm thinking of adding these and the PP front and rear GTI badges, available from the same place, as the red looks good against Tungsten Silver.

They do look good but €70 with p&p? Maybe my local dealer can order them? Would look great with my TR car :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline BigD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4486 on: 07 May 2016, 18:42 »
^^^^

They do look good but €70 with p&p? Maybe my local dealer can order them? Would look great with my TR car :smiley:

I ordered them through TPS

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4487 on: 07 May 2016, 19:09 »
Today I finished the clean I started yesterday. It wasn't too dirty but I wanted to get a layer of wax on because of the freshly painted wing. Washed with Gtechniq G Wash and waxed with Finish Kare FK1000p. Easy to apply and buff off with a good shine. Glass courtesy of AG Fast Glass. Found a small area on the drivers door where the bodyshop has missed with the polisher presumably when they blended in the new paint, will go back next week and get it sorted otherwise it was an excellent job.

Love TR when it's clean, looked better earlier when the sun was stronger but very pleased with the overall result :smiley:

Inevitably one of our feathered friends dumped on the roof in the few moments I was indoors getting the glass cleaner :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #4488 on: 07 May 2016, 20:23 »
Today I finished the clean I started yesterday. It wasn't too dirty but I wanted to get a layer of wax on because of the freshly painted wing. Washed with Gtechniq G Wash and wa xed with Finish Kare FK1000p. Easy to apply and buff off with a good shine. Glass courtesy of AG Fast Glass. Found a small area on the drivers door where the bodyshop has missed with the polisher presumably when they blended in the new paint, will go back next week and get it sorted otherwise it was an excellent job.

Love TR when it's clean, looked better earlier when the sun was stronger but very pleased with the overall result :smiley:

Inevitably one of our feathered friends dumped on the roof in the few moments I was indoors getting the glass cleaner :rolleyes:

As always looks spot on...
Fitted my aliexpress dead pedal today not even 10 mins thanks to an earlier post about makin the gap in the 2 locaters slightly wider... :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4489 on: 07 May 2016, 20:45 »
As always looks spot on...
Fitted my aliexpress dead pedal today not even 10 mins thanks to an earlier post about makin the gap in the 2 locaters slightly wider... :whistle:

Cheers :smiley: Plenty of stonechips and small marks, I think it's a bit of a fools errand trying to keep up with it all.

The footrest is rather good and as Booth has said, does feel better, not sure why. As for spending time fitting it properly, pah, brute force and ignorance wins everytime :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.