Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785005 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4320 on: 24 April 2016, 10:23 »
You shouldn't have any differences in paint colour wether it be a metal panel or a plastic bumper. If the jobs done 100% correctly it should be a match no matter what panel or light condition.

Actually I would have to say that is not entirely true and this can easily been seen on silver coloured car.  :smiley:

From factory the paint on the plastic panels can look ever so slightly different from the metal panels - I witnessed this on my last golf which was reflex silver and you only noticed it if you looked at the plastic panels from a certain angle in a certain light. It was ever so noticeable on the petrol cap cover.

I have a good friend who has his own business and has been respraying cars for over 30 years and his work is second to none. He will always tell his customers that painting on plastic parts can result (doesn't always) but can result in an ever so slight difference in the colour despite having an exact 100% colour match with the paints/materials used.
When I had the rear bumper on my GTI PP resprayed last year due to damage, The guy that did the repair also said the same.  They can do a great job matching paint finish on plastic and metal but in certain really specific light conditions and even after aging over the years you may be able to see the difference in colour on the same paint between plastic and metal.  The worst example I think of would be my Civic Type-R Championship white.  after 2 to 3 years you could see a difference in colour between the paint on plastic bumpers and the same paint on the metal panels.  It was not night and day different, just a very slight shift in tint when viewed from certain angles and in certain light. 

However the bumper on my GTI PP at present does not look any different in colour to the rest of the paint work when viewed in any conditions, and I am looking for it as well.  So if I need a respray again i will definitely be going back to the same guy again to do a repair.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4321 on: 24 April 2016, 11:13 »
You shouldn't have any differences in paint colour wether it be a metal panel or a plastic bumper. If the jobs done 100% correctly it should be a match no matter what panel or light condition.

I'm not talking about resprays I'm talking about out the factory. Under certain lighting conditions you will see a difference between metal and plastic. Considering the paint is only microns thin, the surface its painted on will have a lot to do with how the paint reflects light in certain conditions.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4322 on: 24 April 2016, 18:52 »
I haven't got any differences from metal to plastic on my tiguan and that's with my detailer shining his lights on it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4323 on: 24 April 2016, 22:36 »
I haven't got any differences from metal to plastic on my tiguan and that's with my detailer shining his lights on it.

Your car is obviously defying the laws of physics  :laugh: What colour is it? A non metallic might not show it as much but metallic definitely will.

To further complicate matters I don't even know if the plastics are painted in the factory as the vast majority are painted off site.

https://www.autobodysupply.net/Articles.asp?ID=140

http://etalon.gr/blog/2014/01/07/why-metallic-colours-look-different-on-cars-metal-and-plastic-parts-like-bumpers-and-spoilers/

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Ppw33XgekMIC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=car+paint+difference+metal+plastic&source=bl&ots=DYvrJ3jK60&sig=Bg_YWNORE2a5RHA9WvpNdYA0k0M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtscmcmKjMAhVBD8AKHeuQBesQ6AEIWzAJ#v=onepage&q=car%20paint%20difference%20metal%20plastic&f=false
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4324 on: 28 April 2016, 10:28 »
Dropped it off at the garage to get the dent repaired. They are very good but it's the first time my GTI has been away. I have asked them not to wash it....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #4325 on: 28 April 2016, 11:01 »
Dropped it off at the garage to get the dent repaired. They are very good but it's the first time my GTI has been away. I have asked them not to wash it....

Definitely not a wash..m and I bet it's like losing your right arm while she's away
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4326 on: 28 April 2016, 19:17 »

Definitely not a wash..m and I bet it's like losing your right arm while she's away

Not wrong. Been out all day to take my mind off it. Only thing was the garage called just before 5 to say it was done but I didn't get home 'til too late :rolleyes: But now I can collect first thing tomorrow and go for a drive :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #4327 on: 28 April 2016, 20:56 »

Not wrong. Been out all day to take my mind off it. Only thing was the garage called just before 5 to say it was done but I didn't get home 'til too late :rolleyes: But now I can collect first thing tomorrow and go for a drive :smiley:

Cooooool hope it's done beyond your expectations buddy
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4328 on: 28 April 2016, 21:26 »

Cooooool hope it's done beyond your expectations buddy

Cheers!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4329 on: 28 April 2016, 22:12 »
Another, what someone else has done to my car.  :cry:

Chipped and dented before and now scratched and scraped.

Found this on my rear offside bumper this evening.  Almost certain this has happened in the works car park today - looks like some t**t has scraped it reversing out of the space. Row I park in is normally half empty but of late it's been packed with cars close to one another.  Car park has CCTV so I'll be asking for that to be checked.

Fortunately not dented and borderline for catching on the nail, it should polish out with the DA, but still, right on the crease, again!!!  What is wrong with people!  :angry: 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11