Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785058 times)

Offline Fabio Bignose

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4290 on: 22 April 2016, 09:19 »
Stop Start button replaced and a/c fan motor removed and greased as it was screeching/ squeeling intermittently.
Mk7.5 GTD. DCC, Keyless, Dynaudio, Tech pack, Alarm, Isaac Blue
Mk7 GTD. Xenons, 18", Climate Control, Keyless, Alarm, ( all optional in Ireland...! ) Dynaudio, DCC,
CSG.
Mk6 GTD. Alarm, CSG.

mjh_056

« Reply #4291 on: 22 April 2016, 09:39 »
Sorry to hear about the damage. Car park sounds a nightmare. Always gutting when anything happens but hopefully you can get it sorted so it's as good as new.  Is it going to be a bodyshop respray job?

Another reason reluctant to move to anything bigger as pretty much every where you park the spaces are compressed it really does just take one person to not be straight down the middle to domino that effect to everyone.

But even in perfect state its not overly easy to get in and out and am pretty regular size and agility so always wonder how the less mobile manage sometimes.

Add to this the door dent risk, especially if park next to something where damage would only add to its character!

Having seen many a larger vehicle going around and around looking for the perfect space the the Golf and similar size will do for me, it still has its risks but still less stressful

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ? - yesterday....
« Reply #4292 on: 22 April 2016, 11:02 »
So it turns out you can get a bathtub in the back of a golf... you just need to cut it in half first!  :laugh:

Yesterday after work, I took a short trip to the tip (or 'recycling centre') to get rid of our old bathtub and some other stuff, driving very slowly and gently to make sure nothing moved about and damaged the interior. Gave the boot and the back of the back seats a vacuum with the handheld dyson afterwards.

Car is in dire need of some tlc... needs a good wash and inside front needs a clean too. Hoping its good weather this weekend to get it done tomorrow. We have soft water so don't need to worry about water spots too much.  :cool:
« Last Edit: 22 April 2016, 11:08 by davewilliams000 »
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4293 on: 22 April 2016, 11:07 »
Not a good day :angry: Scraped and dented the drivers front wing getting into a parking space at work. Worst car park in the world (probably). Underground, inadequate lighting and some spanner thought it'll be a good idea to paint up to about waist height black! Plus pillars everywhere. Hardly a car in it that hasn't got a scrape :cry:

Will have to get it looked at asap as it's down to bare metal in places.

Gutted for you watts. Hope you can get it sorted soon.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4294 on: 22 April 2016, 15:06 »
Thanks all for the supportive responses. I was straight down to my local garage today and got it booked in. This will be the first (hopefully last!) visit to a bodyshop for a car of mine in over 30 years of driving :rolleyes: The garage is very trustworthy and when my OH's Lupo was hit a couple of years back they did an excellent job so fingers crossed.

It might not look much but it really hurt :shocked:

They will remove the bumper to do the job properly and will order a new GTI wing badge in case the original is damaged on removing. Quoted £300+vat which I thought reasonable and goes in next Thursday.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4295 on: 22 April 2016, 16:55 »

They will remove the bumper to do the job properly and will order a new GTI wing badge in case the original is damaged on removing. Quoted £300+vat which I thought reasonable and goes in next Thursday.

Aww that sucks - had very similar damage to mine in the exact same place and onto the bumper too. This was from another car scraping mine whilst parked in a car park. Was fuming when I seen the damage!  :angry:

My repair however only cost £150 and a top notch repair it was  :whistle:  I think £300 seems a little on the high side, but hey, that's just me  :wink:
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4296 on: 22 April 2016, 17:15 »
Thanks Dave, at least you could blame someone else though!

I'm sure I could get s smart repair done cheaper but for it to look 100% the bumper needs to come off and a full panel spray. It may come out a little cheaper, they always quote for worst case scenario which I think is the honest wat to do it. Often jobs work out less in the end. But, bottom line is having faith in them which is worth a lot in itself.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4297 on: 22 April 2016, 17:29 »

I'm sure I could get s smart repair done cheaper but for it to look 100% the bumper needs to come off and a full panel spray. It may come out a little cheaper, they always quote for worst case scenario which I think is the honest wat to do it. Often jobs work out less in the end. But, bottom line is having faith in them which is worth a lot in itself.

Having previous history of a red car ( And deep down probably the reason I have never had another) I think I would go down the smart repair route on that. If you have the whole wing painted even if they match the paint perfectly, it will stick out like a sore thumb under street lights and look a whole lot worse than it actually is. I had some deep scratchs, about 3 or 4 around 3" long on the leading edge of a bonnet and they sprayed the whole bonnet. It looked fine in daylight but at night ....:sick: :sick:
In the end it Peed me off so much I got rid !!
Gutted for you and genuinely hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction  :smiley:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4298 on: 22 April 2016, 17:40 »

Having previous history of a red car ( And deep down probably the reason I have never had another) I think I would go down the smart repair route on that. If you have the whole wing painted even if they match the paint perfectly, it will stick out like a sore thumb under street lights and look a whole lot worse than it actually is. I had some deep scratchs, about 3 or 4 around 3" long on the leading edge of a bonnet and they sprayed the whole bonnet. It looked fine in daylight but at night ....:sick: :sick:
Gutted for you and genuinely hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction  :smiley:

That's honest but not helping :cry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4299 on: 22 April 2016, 17:51 »

That's honest but not helping :cry:

To be honest i wasn't sure whether to post or not but just wanted to let you know what could happen so you might think again  :embarrassed:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA