Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3830 on: 19 February 2016, 19:33 »
Yes, I was relieved it hit the glass, otherwise it would've made a mess of the paintwork. Only thing that stopped it doing more damage to the windscreen was it hitting at a shallow angle. Lucky I guess.  I've been in a car when a rock shattered the windscreen at it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Same here although it was a piece of 3/2 about 3ft long that was flicked up by the car I was following. Smashed the windscreen so badly I had to hit the brakes hard and was nearly ran into by the car behind. Not something I want to happen again.

How good are the screen repairers, I have seen it on a video but you can never really be sure how good they are.

I witnessed a similar thing during the Great Storm of 1987.  Saw a large piece of 2x4 wood skewer someone's windscreen, narrowly missing the driver. :shocked: One of the many memories of that day!

I've no idea if these windscreen repairs are any good, I suppose I'll find out soon enough. I've been lucky so far, this is the first time I had damage to a windscreen on any car.  At the moment, the chip is quite distracting.  If it's still noticeable after it's done I'll push for a replacement windscreen. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3831 on: 19 February 2016, 21:26 »
Well that is an event of biblical proportions. :shocked: :cool:

You could try freezing the gum by placing an ice cube on top of it to harden it, then very gently prying it off the paintwork. I've also read that peanut butter (and no, I don't know if smooth or crunchy is best) works for chewing gum removal on a variety of surfaces. 

If you did post it your gum dilemma up in the detailing section I could guarantee that a) and b ) won't happen, but c) will. :laugh:  So on that note - tar and glue remover e.g. Tardis, ObliTARate, will bring it off with ease, as well as sorting our your other tar spots.

Why thank you madamoiselle Boothette, i knew I could rely on you.
The forum fairy god mother to the rescue as always!

Funnily enough I was looking at said tar earlier with mitt in hand thinking "Tardis"
You've brainwashed me.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3832 on: 19 February 2016, 22:11 »
So i'm off to google the most inventive way of removing chewing gum from paint with minimal effort, zero paint damage and zero cost - i.e.. something I already have in the cupboard.

WD40 should take it off with no damage.

I very much doubt the ice trick. My son came home with chewing gum on his brand new jacket after being at a gig.
He's 19 and still can't look after himself  :rolleyes: 
Anyway I stuck his jacket in the freezer for 2 days expecting the chewing gum to harden and be easily picked off. No such luck. It only hardened slightly but still stuck like sh!t to a shoe.

So I think the ice trick is a myth  :wink:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3833 on: 19 February 2016, 22:37 »
Thanks Steve, the WD sounds a good call.
I've checked the cupboards and there's no peanut butter but there's bound to be WD in the garage.
Wifey suggested baby oil, she uses it to polish the kitchen sink!!
WD40 sounds a bit more manly! 👍🏼 :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3834 on: 19 February 2016, 22:40 »
Baby oil  :grin:  Good call.
Soak it in either and just keep a paper towel over it for a while to let it work in.
If your using the baby oil it maybe best to leave the leather chaps in the wardrobe  :rolleyes: :laugh:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3835 on: 19 February 2016, 22:56 »
WD40, manly? Pah!

You know you really want an industrial sized can of this Mr Ex.  You've already been thinking about it haven't you.  :laugh:

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3836 on: 19 February 2016, 23:00 »
Soak it in either and just keep a paper towel over it for a while to let it work in.
If your using the baby oil it maybe best to leave the leather chaps in the wardrobe  :rolleyes: :laugh:
Darn, you saw right through the baby oil thing!
WD40 manly!  Pah!

You know you really want an industrial sized can of this Mr Ex.  You've already been thinking about it haven't you.  :laugh:

Blimey, a lifetimes supply for a mere mortal but no doubt a month's worth for some people who will remain nameless!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3837 on: 19 February 2016, 23:06 »
Darn, you saw right through the baby oil thing!
WD40 manly!  Pah!

Blimey, a lifetimes supply for a mere mortal but no doubt a month's worth for some people who will remain nameless!

Moi?  Surely not!  Actually the Tardis only comes out for very special occasions, such as Dr Who conventions......sorry, lol.  That's the beauty of a black car Mr Ex, it hides the tar well, and the Tardis only gets used twice a year when the surface feels lunar-like.  Unlike a white car which shows every tiny speck of the black stuff.  Shame.  :tongue: :laugh:

PS:   We all saw right through the baby oil thing.  :wink:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3838 on: 19 February 2016, 23:14 »
Double darn!  :whistle:

Good point. Actually I think a Tardis sized can of Tardis might be a wise investment.

No doubt certain people's cars are so well waxed and presented tar won't even stick to the paint in the first place! Naming no names of course...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3839 on: 19 February 2016, 23:20 »
I like black as a car colour but there is nothing more rewarding than thinking the white car you have washed is fairly tar free and then spray some tardis on it and seeing on those brown steaks run down the car.
You don't get to see this on a black car.  :cry: