Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785073 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3770 on: 13 February 2016, 23:33 »
Going to tackle my car cleaning tomorrow as good weather is forecast. Can anyone recommend some good products for snow foam? Wax? Alloy cleaner and any thing else that seems to bring out good results.

Take a browse through the detailing section.  My 2p's worth of advice and product recommendations in this recent thread.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276784.msg2529250#msg2529250

:smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3771 on: 13 February 2016, 23:37 »
Going to tackle my car cleaning tomorrow as good weather is forecast. Can anyone recommend some good products for snow foam? Wax? Alloy cleaner and any thing else that seems to bring out good results.

Take a browse through the detailing section.  My 2p's worth of advice and product recommendations in this recent thread.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276784.msg2529250#msg2529250

:smiley:
Ideal reading for this time of night too!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:laugh:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3772 on: 13 February 2016, 23:53 »
Prep and technique is everything.  :nerd:

The secret to it is SNOW FOAM, it's power is not to be underestimated.  In winter I snow foam twice and by the time that's been jet washed off the car is 70% clean  before the 2/3 bucket wash commences.

If I lived anywhere near to you I would gladly accept the challenge of restoring your white goods to perfection. :smiley:

The prep and technique was what I was getting at. Once a new car has been prepared as well as yours the dirt can't have too much to stick to!

Is snow foam really that good?
For years I've seen detailer show off their snow foam pics and I've always been very sceptical.
I've lost count of the amount of "miracle" products that I've seen come and go over the years with people almost forbidden to question them for fear of the wrath of the Internet! Snake oil and all that.

Once upon a time long before my hair gained its expensive silver tinge I had a part time job in a garage whilst I was at college studying electronics.
"Get a job in electronics boy, it's the future"
"It sounds boring" (and it was)
So off I went to seek my fortune in electronics only to find all the decent jobs had pissed off to the Far East by the time is taken my exams. Yeah, thanks oh sage like careers advisors.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes.
In the garage we had a diesel powered heated pressure washer with seriously serious chemicals to use.
Even that (despite my boss's misguided claims) on full pelt didn't shift much road grime. In fact it could strip paint and chrome better then a layer of mud.

Henceforth I've always been a bit sceptical of snow foam.

Like DSG, I'd love to be convinced I was wrong.

Well you can be as sceptical as you like but IMO a good snow foam (with proper lance) works wonders if done properly.  I may never convince you of either that or DSG but it doesn't matter because it's what works for the individual in question that counts.  However here's some pics from a recent wash that demonstrates the result a good snow foam can achieve.  The final pic shows the car after snow foaming, but BEFORE the 2 bucket wash.  Pretty good demonstration of just how much dirt can be shifted with a decent snow foam and lance and with minimal contact, before a mitt is laid on the car. And yes the child (my own) who wrote on the boot got a severe (not really) telling off, lol.

Car at start

Car after double snow foam ONLY, and BEFORE 2 bucket wash - double snow foam got a fair amount of dirt of and looked like this after just jet washing the foam off.

« Last Edit: 13 February 2016, 23:55 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3773 on: 13 February 2016, 23:57 »
I'm sorry you find my posts so sleep inducing :-(
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3774 on: 14 February 2016, 00:02 »
Drove it to West Yorkshire.

First longish trip in the R and what a relaxed drive.  It really is a superb all rounder. :cool: And now for a week of fun on some good driving roads with some decent hills and stunning scenery.  Road surfaces up here put the Kent roads to shame - I've encountered only 1 pothole so far, a marked contrast to the 1 every 10 feet back at home.

I love it around West Yorkshire, such rugged beauty in both the landscape and the architecture. What part are you in? Not jealous at all  :whistle: I could really do with a good pint of Tim Taylors Landlord right now :smiley:

I'm up here visiting my folks who live in Almondbury (near Huddersfield) but always stay in rented cottage on a farm in Holmfirth (can't put up being cooped up with my Mum and Dad for a whole week, haha, plus I have my daughter and sister in tow).  I come from round here (born in Halifax) so it's my home county.

The roads are fantastic and the landscape - well it's coming home for me.  I come up here to have a good drive as much as visiting family.  There will be a few good days out this week and they will be partly decided by the drive.

I've lived in many places in UK but nothing beats the hills of home (except possibly the West Country - Bath).  I've lived in Kent for yonks but have no affinity with the place at all - pretty in parts but oh so flat by comparison.   

Don't know that area, we go to Haworth and have been doing so most years for a couple of decades. Absolutely love it, the moors, the pubs, the history and the friendly locals. We are considering moving here at some point. Although I'd probably double in size quite quickly :grin:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3775 on: 14 February 2016, 00:12 »
You know I'm only jesting  :kiss:  :kiss:   :kiss:

And you know I have a pathological dislike of detailing threads as a) they put me to shame as a reformed Ex OCD cleaning freak and b) they're usually dull as hell to read involving just a long list of products (that send me to sleep). I will admit to liking the photos though.
That's what's great about Instagram - lots of photos and less anal lists of products.
For example a detailer (any detailer) feels obliged to mention the number of buckets used instead of saying "I gave it a wash".
Yes, we all know you use multiple buckets and you won't be condemned for not counting them!
(I do use multiple buckets too, I will admit this one time only!)

But seriously, thanks for posting the before and after above Ms B.
Case proven. I'm sold.
The writing in the grime gave me shivers though!!!  :shocked:

I'm all for the minimal contact wash and would rather drive a very dirty car than have it cleaned when there's danger of grit contamination. And unfortunately where I live...  :cry:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3776 on: 14 February 2016, 00:38 »

And you know I have a pathological dislike of detailing threads as a) they put me to shame as a reformed Ex OCD cleaning freak and b) they're usually dull as hell to read involving just a long list of products (that send me to sleep). I will admit to liking the photos though.
That's what's great about Instagram - lots of photos and less anal lists of products.
For example a detailer (any detailer) feels obliged to mention the number of buckets used instead of saying "I gave it a wash".
Yes, we all know you use multiple buckets and you won't be condemned for not counting them!

Case proven. I'm sold.

I'm all for the minimal contact wash and would rather drive a very dirty car than have it cleaned when there's danger of grit contamination. And unfortunately where I live...  :cry:

I get your point about Instagram (I'm not on it), BUT, for those seeking out advice on detailing (yes those dull creatures exist), a bunch of pics is next to useless on their own, whereas, I'm afraid to say, anal lists are useful, as are descriptive methods (1, 2, 3, 4 or however many buckets you want or don't want) and demonstrative pictures to accompany the boring stuff. 

Tell me did you only like to look at the pictures in a book as a child?  Might explain it.  :tongue: :kiss:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3777 on: 14 February 2016, 07:14 »

Case proven. I'm sold.

I get your point about Instagram (I'm not on it), BUT, for those seeking out advice on detailing (yes those dull creatures exist), a bunch of pics is next to useless on their own, whereas, I'm afraid to say, anal lists are useful, as are descriptive methods (1, 2, 3, 4 or however many buckets you want or don't want) and demonstrative pictures to accompany the boring stuff. 

Tell me did you only like to look at the pictures in a book as a child?  Might explain it.  :tongue: :kiss:
Indeed I did, but I am proud to announce I've upgraded to Ladybird books now.
In fact this is my latest acquisition:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Works-Husband-Ladybirds-Grown-Ups/dp/0718183568
(An actual present from my "darling" wife)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3778 on: 14 February 2016, 07:31 »

Case proven. I'm sold.

Well this is just peachy. Now I'm being branded as DULL for taking a passing interest in car detailing :cry:
Only joking of course, I already knew I was a boring tw*t  :laugh:

5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3779 on: 14 February 2016, 08:22 »

Case proven. I'm sold.

Well this is just peachy. Now I'm being branded as DULL for taking a passing interest in car detailing :cry:
Only joking of course, I already knew I was a boring tw*t  :laugh:

I'm considering renaming the Detailing Section, the "Boring Tw*t Section".  Any objections?  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual