Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785038 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3190 on: 25 October 2015, 17:06 »
I don't get the winter wheels thing. Ugly-fying your car for 6 months. We aren't in Scandanvia! Each to their own of course.

Depends where you live, but to an extent, neither do I.  I can understand the need for winter wheels and tyres in some parts of the UK that get more extreme weather, but in some places down south??  Have managed to get through every winter without incident.  And before anyone says anything, every wheel I've ever kerbed has occurred in spring/summer months!  Where I am it's just not warranted having winter wheels on fo  4-6 months of the year.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3191 on: 25 October 2015, 17:21 »
I don't get the winter wheels thing. Ugly-fying your car for 6 months. We aren't in Scandanvia! Each to their own of course.

Depends where you live, but to an extent, neither do I.  I can understand the need for winter wheels and tyres in some parts of the UK that get more extreme weather, but in some places down south??  Have managed to get through every winter without incident.  And before anyone says anything, every wheel I've ever kerbed has occurred in spring/summer months!  Where I am it's just not warranted having winter wheels on fo  4-6 months of the year.

Same here. I could count on one hand the number of times I had frost on the windscreen last winter. I recall one relatively bad snowy morning - in March! But that was it. Winters tend to be mild and wet in my neck of the woods.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3192 on: 25 October 2015, 19:39 »

Never felt the need myself, exercising a bit more caution when  it gets cold, but i've just bought the missus a set of winters for her A1. Brand new set of 15" wheel shod with Michelin winter tyres for £400 delivered, if it saves her a smash in her first 6 months of driving (hopefully she passes her test on Tues) then it will be money well spent.

Slightly tempted for myself as my new job is in the wilds of Northumberland where it is generally 6C lower than at home in the winter, and I still have my Flintstones.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3193 on: 25 October 2015, 20:16 »

Never felt the need myself, exercising a bit more caution when  it gets cold, but i've just bought the missus a set of winters for her A1. Brand new set of 15" wheel shod with Michelin winter tyres for £400 delivered, if it saves her a smash in her first 6 months of driving (hopefully she passes her test on Tues) then it will be money well spent.

Slightly tempted for myself as my new job is in the wilds of Northumberland where it is generally 6C lower than at home in the winter, and I still have my Flintstones.

Good luck to Mrs monkeyhanger for Tues. Probably the prudent thing to do for a newly qualified driver, in winter, will give her a bit more assurrance out on the road.

But as far as you're concerned, if you've never felt the need before, and now you have 4WD on the R, forget the winter wheels and tyres, it's high time you ditched the crappy Flintstones and got some Michelin PSS on that car.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 25 October 2015, 20:18 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #3194 on: 25 October 2015, 20:23 »

Of course - you do whats right for your circumstances

I live 20-30 miles from the Cairngorms National Park area (there are roads around here with snow-gates that get closed regularly in the winter to prevent people driving on them in bad weather),

I do a fair amount of travelling every winter in very wet/slushy/snowy/icy roads - for that, I'd rather have some dedicated rubber and keep my polished Nogaros away from the salt & grit that gets spread around for weeks.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2015, 20:25 by phope »
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3195 on: 25 October 2015, 20:23 »

Same here. I could count on one hand the number of times I had frost on the windscreen last winter. I recall one relatively bad snowy morning - in March! But that was it. Winters tend to be mild and wet in my neck of the woods.

And here.  We seem to escape the worst of the winter weather is this far eastern corner, to the point that winter is pretty boring round this way.  No snow now for last 2 years!  Coming from Yorkshire, I long for some proper winter weather. :sad:

Winter wheels/tyres would be a complete waste of cash.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3196 on: 25 October 2015, 20:28 »

I live 20-30 miles from the Cairngorms National Park area, and do a fair amount of travelling every winter in very wet/slushy/snowy/icy roads - for that, I'd rather have some dedicated rubber and keep my polished Nogaros away from the salt & grit that gets spread around for weeks.

Agree. As I said depends on where you are located, and what kind of winter weather you generally get.  Fantastic to live in such a stunning location.  :cool: 

But round here there aren't many hills (not by my standards anyway) and apart from the usual damp, dank winter weather, and the odd pathetic sprinkling of snow every few years, winters are pretty uneventful weather and road condition-wise.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #3197 on: 25 October 2015, 20:57 »

I live 20-30 miles from the Cairngorms National Park area (there are roads around here with snow-gates that get closed regularly in the winter to prevent people driving on them in bad weather),

I do a fair amount of travelling every winter in very wet/slushy/snowy/icy roads - for that, I'd rather have some dedicated rubber and keep my polished Nogaros away from the salt & grit that gets spread around for weeks.

I used to travel up and down the A9( in my RAF days).Drumochter Pass still haunts me. :shocked:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3198 on: 25 October 2015, 20:58 »
Traded the gtd in for a tiguan r line.

Curious to hear your thoughts about the Tiguan, i seriously considered one before trading the Touareg in for the GTI.
I had a tiguan before getting the gtd and as good as the gtd was I always regretted selling mine. I probably should have just got another tiguan but you know the feeling when you get an itch that just won't go away. I would have loved the new tiguan next year but no way I would have got 6k off the price I got my new one for.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #3199 on: 25 October 2015, 21:00 »
Went to the dealers to try and find my car, wife spotted it behind the fence :grin:
Gonna be a long ass week

Oh, that looks gorgeous. :cool: Bet you can't wait.

Last Sunday, I'd just finished detailing mine and was waiting to pull out of my driveway to clean the rust of the brake discs, and a pristine Toranade Red R went by.  Driver did a double take at mine, which fortunately was looking similarly clean and shiny.  But I must say the Mk7 R looks superb in red.  Much, much nicer than the Mk6 R which I never though suited red.

Can't wait to see more pics of yours.

Thankyou so much for your very kind comment Booth, if I'm honest I was panicking a little about the colour, been thinking lately I should of ordered Lapiz.
But after seeing it in the flesh today I know I made the right choice, a Tornado Red might be th budget colour but in all honestly it's my favourite.
And to add to that the dealer had a used 3 Door Red with Prets sitting right behind mine, I really need Prets, just can't find any :huh:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)