Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785020 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2710 on: 07 August 2015, 16:54 »
Well, got around to fitting my wheels after a couple of coats of sealant.

The end results (also on Eibach sportlines)...

Well chuffed with it - points so far are

1. No rubbing on full lock.
2. Rubs the arch liner slightly on speed bumps (just go slower)
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2711 on: 07 August 2015, 16:57 »
Looking good Gnasher  :wink:  Thinking about getting those rims myself.

What's the ride like compared to stock on the Eibachs?
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2712 on: 07 August 2015, 16:59 »
I've not done loads of miles yet but whilst it is a firmer ride, it's in no way harsh.

Although as said, combined with the rims you do have to slow down that bit more for speed bumps - I might get it up in the air to see if I can do anything to tuck the arch liner up a few mm more.
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2713 on: 07 August 2015, 17:37 »

They look really good Gnasher, like them a lot, great colour.  :cool:

How did you find the Poorboys Wheel Sealant?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2714 on: 07 August 2015, 17:50 »

They look really good Gnasher, like them a lot, great colour.  :cool:

How did you find the Poorboys Wheel Sealant?

The sealant was really easy to use. I brought a wheel at a time into the lounge last night for the first coat and then did another today to finish them off before fitting.

My only disappointment is the supplied bolts are not only very shiny (to be replaced by black ones) but are non locking. I'll be searching a black set out in standard length.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2715 on: 07 August 2015, 20:18 »
I've seen some pictures and not sure if I like it really (new one). It's a new car from bottom up and uses the mqb chassis. I didn't like the dsg on the golf but the tiguan one is the 7 speed dsg so slightly different. To be honest I probably should have got another tiguan and not the golf haha

I saw some pics of it - the front end looks very Amarok. I quite like the Amarok, but probably wouldn't have one myself unless I needed to lug big stuff on a regular basis.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2716 on: 07 August 2015, 20:36 »
I have my R back. The official line is that my steering wheel was off centre when the wheels were straight. They probably did it last time when they did the wheel alignment - got the wheels straight and paid no heed to what it would do to the steering wheel's alignment.

Still don't see how it would affect my ACC - if the wheels were aligned straight with the ACC unit, even with the steering wheel held slightly off-centre, it should still work when you're driving in a straight line or even turning. Coming home, the <car>!<car> white tailgating warning is still no more sensitive - it picks up big vehicles (7.5T lorries and bigger) a lane to the left of me, it picks up big vehicles ahead of me, but won't pick up a normal sized car in front of me unless i'm following the half a second rule!

I didn't get a trigger at the Tyne tunnel today, but it was at a crawl this afternoon, so not a normal emergence from the other end of the tunnel (so jury is still out whether the limited view is fixed).

The icing on the cake is that my Blackvue 650 dashcam is on its way out. It won't Wifi connect with my laptop or my wife's. It is viewable as a device to connect to, but when connected it is limited, so I can't do a thing with it from the computer to force a reset or firmware upgrade etc. The female voice that tells you that you are putting wifi on/off or parking mode on/off is an inaudible mumbling and the microphone is permanently emitting a high pitch hum. It was starting to hum just before the car went in to the dealership, but the failure of the voice is new.

Seems to be a known fault associated with overheating and parking mode. Parking mode seems to kill these units according to google searches.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2717 on: 08 August 2015, 10:55 »
I have my R back. The official line is that my steering wheel was off centre when the wheels were straight. They probably did it last time when they did the wheel alignment - got the wheels straight and paid no heed to what it would do to the steering wheel's alignment.

Still don't see how it would affect my ACC - if the wheels were aligned straight with the ACC unit, even with the steering wheel held slightly off-centre, it should still work when you're driving in a straight line or even turning. Coming home, the <car>!<car> white tailgating warning is still no more sensitive - it picks up big vehicles (7.5T lorries and bigger) a lane to the left of me, it picks up big vehicles ahead of me, but won't pick up a normal sized car in front of me unless i'm following the half a second rule!

I didn't get a trigger at the Tyne tunnel today, but it was at a crawl this afternoon, so not a normal emergence from the other end of the tunnel (so jury is still out whether the limited view is fixed).

The icing on the cake is that my Blackvue 650 dashcam is on its way out. It won't Wifi connect with my laptop or my wife's. It is viewable as a device to connect to, but when connected it is limited, so I can't do a thing with it from the computer to force a reset or firmware upgrade etc. The female voice that tells you that you are putting wifi on/off or parking mode on/off is an inaudible mumbling and the microphone is permanently emitting a high pitch hum. It was starting to hum just before the car went in to the dealership, but the failure of the voice is new.

Seems to be a known fault associated with overheating and parking mode. Parking mode seems to kill these units according to google searches.

RE: ACC sensor - it depends where it senses the direction of the steering. Doing the tracking will adjust it straight before the wheels (at the outer end of the steering arms) meaning the sensor is thinking the car is steering when in fact it is going straight. This then makes the radar sense a hazard where it would not normally sense it, causing your issues. What a simple fix to a mammoth problem you've had though!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2718 on: 08 August 2015, 11:24 »

RE: ACC sensor - it depends where it senses the direction of the steering. Doing the tracking will adjust it straight before the wheels (at the outer end of the steering arms) meaning the sensor is thinking the car is steering when in fact it is going straight. This then makes the radar sense a hazard where it would not normally sense it, causing your issues. What a simple fix to a mammoth problem you've had though!

Gnasher: Still not convinced it is fixed, there is still a lack of sensitivity for a car-sized vehicle ahead of me in relation to the <car>!<car> white tailgating alert. It easily detects big wagons straight ahead and to the left, but not regular cars unless i'm literally 10 yards off their tail doing 60mph. Going through a busy Tyne tunnel a few times next week without the "limited view" message being thrown up might convince me that it is kind of working.

I'm going to dismantle my Blackvue set-up too today  :sad: It's going back!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2719 on: 08 August 2015, 14:13 »
Gave my car a thorough wash today, and found 2 small paint chips - one on the bonnet and one on a front wheel. The front wheels were also covered in what at  first looked like light scuffs, but then rubbed off, I can only conclude that it was some kind of adhesive tape residue, as if the wheels have been masked off. Could there have been some kind of smart repair done on them while at the dealership?

Could the "our wheel alignment machine is bust" have been a cover for how a 2-4 hour job took 3 full days to execute? Alas the capacity of the Blackvue 650's 64Gb card is only a 20 hour period, all I saw on the footage was the car sitting there at the forecourt between 6pm Thursday and 2pm Friday. The action of the fix had long since been written over.

Had the motivation to give the car a thorough going over with another coat of C2V3, but it's too bright outside, it would've baked on the car.