Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784993 times)

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2570 on: 20 July 2015, 20:47 »
Hit this milestone today!

Done another 150 miles since so probably won't be that long before 12345... 😜
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2571 on: 20 July 2015, 20:57 »
And another thing....I was unconvinced that the ACC sensor was working properly, it still seems to avoid picking up the car in front with the <car>!<car> far more often than the GTD did, and exiting the Tyne Tunnel tonight I got the familiar message that the sensor isn't seeing anything. Seems that either Benfield recalibrated a buggered sensor, or did nothing with it. It'll be going to Durham Pulman this time.

Get someone else to try the TT for you?

Fully describe the experiment and get someone else to try it? There must be some other Mk7 guys who do that trip or could for you?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2572 on: 20 July 2015, 21:07 »
And another thing....I was unconvinced that the ACC sensor was working properly, it still seems to avoid picking up the car in front with the <car>!<car> far more often than the GTD did, and exiting the Tyne Tunnel tonight I got the familiar message that the sensor isn't seeing anything. Seems that either Benfield recalibrated a buggered sensor, or did nothing with it. It'll be going to Durham Pulman this time.

Get someone else to try the TT for you?

Fully describe the experiment and get someone else to try it? There must be some other Mk7 guys who do that trip or could for you?

It's not always the Tyne Tunnel that it happens (although it usually is), never happened with my GTD through the tunnel or anywhere else. I have only had one red alert with the R, I have tried to induce one on more than one occasion by covering the brake and braking late after extending the effective range with the centre button on the left steering wheel button cluster.

The white <car>!<car> tailgating warning almost never comes on unless i'm tailgating something very big (again not my usual mode of driving, trying to induce a reaction on the system).

mcmaddy comes through the tunnel regularly and it has never happened to him in his GTD.

My system is definitely defective.

The system failure warning happens on a long, constant, left sweeping bend - exiting the Tyne tunnel or there's a stretch of the A1 near the Angel of the North, which also sweeps left. Nowhere i'd never been in the GTD.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2573 on: 21 July 2015, 19:06 »
Swapped mine out for the most awful courtesy car i've ever had...

Rang Pulman Durham up to ask about getting my R in about its ACC sensor being very insensitive in general and throwing up the fault that it wasn't seeing anything on the long sweeping left bend. To my surprise they said I could drop it by tonight and pick up a courtesy car for work to take place tomorrow.

When I got there, the technician came out and talked through my ACC issues  - the error message, the lack of red alerts compared to the GTD (I have not intervened to dab the brakes when a car ahead of me slows for a left turn, just to try and instigate an alert) and the lack of <car>!<car> tailgate alerts except when i'm really tailgating something big (or a normal sized car if going downhill).

He went through the ACC calibration method. They will check all 4 wheels for alignment and then do the checks against a screen (bouncing radar signals and seeing the reflected signals picked up) and then a computer tells them how many screw turns each of the bracket adjustment screws need for a proper line-up.

They're also going to take a look at the (likely wastegate) "axe sharpening on a lathe" noise the car has more prominently when cold. Apparently there's a fix involving a clip to stop the rattle - but he said that it could be something else (i'm guessing dodgy turbo is the other possibility that he didn't want to mention).

I asked for my car not to be washed in the auto car wash, and then the technician pointed out a screw in one of my front tyres. Wouldn't you know it, 2 days after the Costco £50 off 4 Michelins event ended. It looks repairable, but if it's not then likely all 4 tyres will be replaced. A new windscreen and possibly a shagged tyre in 7 weeks - how lucky am I?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2574 on: 21 July 2015, 19:17 »
The "most awful courtesy car i've ever had" is a Skoda Fabia MPI. Not being a car snob here (i'd have quite happily had an Octavia VRS), I just couldn't get comfortable with it. The seat runners are way too short, so I was quite clumsy with the clutch that has about a foot of travel, when the seat was as far back and low as it would go and still not enough. It was filthy inside and smelt bad too. 12 plate, I don't suppose they'll have it too much longer.

Last time I had an UP, I had far more legroom and could get into a reasonable position. It was as lethargic as you'd expect, I think it is the 60ps version, it took forever to get to 70mph (about 20 seconds) from a standstill.

When test driving the A1 for my wife's car order, I was able to get a perfect seat position, and it is the same size as the Fabia.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2575 on: 21 July 2015, 21:45 »
When I got there, the technician came out and talked through my ACC issues  - the error message, the lack of red alerts compared to the GTD (I have not intervened to dab the brakes when a car ahead of me slows for a left turn, just to try and instigate an alert) and the lack of <car>!<car> tailgate alerts except when i'm really tailgating something big (or a normal sized car if going downhill).

Maybe the R has the Audi version of ACC fitted - the tailgate warning only comes on when you are actually in the boot of the car in front :D

If they can't fix it, are you going to get VW UK to fix the Tyne Tunnel instead? :-P
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2576 on: 21 July 2015, 23:20 »

I asked for my car not to be washed in the auto car wash, and then the technician pointed out a screw in one of my front tyres. Wouldn't you know it, 2 days after the Costco £50 off 4 Michelins event ended. It looks repairable, but if it's not then likely all 4 tyres will be replaced. A new windscreen and possibly a shagged tyre in 7 weeks - how lucky am I?

Replacing 4 factory fitted tyres after 7 weeks after a minor puncture? Absolutely nuts imo...
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2577 on: 22 July 2015, 05:59 »

Replacing 4 factory fitted tyres after 7 weeks after a minor puncture? Absolutely nuts imo...

Would not normally be a consideration, but as it's Bridgetones we're talking here, i'd be loathed to buy one of those to replace the one that is punctured. What would you consider a "minor" puncture? For me it would mean a repairable puncture (we don't yet know whether it is repairable). If the tyre is unrepairable then I wouldn't consider it "minor". If it's repairable, then I will run with it.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2578 on: 22 July 2015, 20:29 »
Waited patiently all day for news about the R getting the ACC system recalibrated or needing a replacement, and finally cracked at 3pm and rang Pulman. It was just heading to the workshop to start work - "no chance of getting it back today" I thought. I suggested ringing back at 4:20 pm, a mere 10 mins away from my finishing time (the earliest I can leave, I usually stay longer). The switchboard couldn't get through to the service dept, so I hung on and gave it one last go at 4:45pm (the issue is that the dealership is close to work, but miles away from home, so I either go to the garage on the off-chance or go home and turn up for the R tomorrow after work.

I get through and they inform me the car is in the "wash queue". The fact they want to wash it seems to imply the work is done, so I head down there.

Once there the service guy informs me that my tyre with the screw in it has been repaired - great!

He also tells me that the ACC work has not been performed, apparently they could not replicate the fault after following VW testing protocol (whatever those parameters are). I said "surely the sensor fault has logged on multiple occasions?". He said that it had but they had not replicated the fault. I asked "what is the point of having these sensors which log faults, especially useful to diagnose intermittent faults if you choose to ignore the faults they flag up, or don't act upon them".

I also mentioned the fact that the system seems to be well under expected sensitivity by the lack of <car>!<car> alerts when following the car closely in front, the lack of red alerts, and the fact the ACC gets the car dangerously close to the car in front (even at the longest gap set) when in cruise control mode. I made sure he knew that i'd already had a MK7 GTD and so was well aware of the sensitivity to expect on a working system.

He said he'd go and speak to the tech again. 10 mins later he comes back and says the tech I explained everything to on the faults at drop-off was not the person "working" on my car.

I said that it was poor form that a useful system that is also a safety feature with logged faults was not worked on and they were effectively fobbing me off without doing the work. He went away again and came back to say that if I left the car with them, they would perform 4 wheel alignment and ACC recalibration tomorrow.

We will have to wait and see. If they don't do anything or they say they did and the fault is still there then i'll have to push for ACC sensor replacement. If they refuse then i'll have to start talking car rejection.

Why are 2 dealerships from different retail groups so reluctant to fix a logged fault that is happening on multiple occasions?

I'm guessing that at Pulman today, one of 2 things has happened:-

1. They waited so long to get on with it that it was never going to be ready by the end of today doing it properly, so fob the customer off and give back the car.

2. VW UK are reluctant to pay out for ACC related warranty work, so they are reluctant to perform it.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2579 on: 22 July 2015, 21:26 »
You must be very popular with VW dealerships  :grin: :grin: