Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785048 times)

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2510 on: 11 July 2015, 20:33 »
Very nice, where did you get the scuff plates from?????

The bay of e's, yet another china special! They're really good quality though tbh and for £24 delivered it was worth a punt.

Looking good Jimble  :cool:

What's it like to be back in a GTI?  You must like it, your certainly lavishing it with attention.

I'm loving it tbh, although it feels sooo small having driven the blunderbus for a while! As you've probably noticed it's a DSG again and being honest first impressions are better than the first mk7 i had, i think they've updated the software sometime in the last year or so because this one feels much more loose and eager if that makes sense? Not so lazy to accelerate while on the move.

I'm a happy bunny.......

for now.......
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2511 on: 11 July 2015, 20:42 »
"Welcome back" Jimble James  :cool:
I must get round to getting one of those footrest trims.

Looking forward to more pics
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2512 on: 11 July 2015, 20:46 »
Looking good Jimble  :cool:

What's it like to be back in a GTI?  You must like it, your certainly lavishing it with attention.

I'm loving it tbh, although it feels sooo small having driven the blunderbus for a while! As you've probably noticed it's a DSG again and being honest first impressions are better than the first mk7 i had, i think they've updated the software sometime in the last year or so because this one feels much more loose and eager if that makes sense? Not so lazy to accelerate while on the move.

I'm a happy bunny.......

for now.......

Yes I noticed it was DSG, wasn't going to say anything  :whistle:  Hopefully you'll have a better experience with it this time round. 

Sounds like you've returned "home"  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #2513 on: 11 July 2015, 21:40 »
Blummin' eck Jimble you've gone full circle! I hope to god you enjoy this one otherwise it's a Clubsport for you :wink:

Back to original post:

Being inspired by somebody's Soundaktor post this week I simply had to do something about mine. So I followed a YouTube video of how to disconnect the Soundaktor and it was a doddle. Took less than 5 minutes. Now I'm left scratching my head. Why on earth didn't I do it two years ago when first bought the car!!! It's like I'm listening to my engine and exhaust note for the first time (and it's quite pleasant). Sad really. Feel robbed of nearly two years of driving my GTI.

For anybody who hates the tractor like sound of the Soundaktor, and doesn't want to mess with VCDS percentages, simply disconnect the bloody thing.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #2514 on: 11 July 2015, 22:00 »
Jimble, did you notice that the original footrest is actually bigger in the DSG cars than the manuals?

I have the very same footrest as that in my manual GTI and I am planning to transfer it over to my soon to arrive DSG R.... but only recently I noticed that the DSG cars have a slightly bigger plastic footrest, presumably because the clutch isn't in the way. It appears that it still fits ok though!

I'm not sure about the size comparison mate, i'll measure the one i removed from my car and let you know, the new one only comes in one size and it's an exact match for the stock one so i assume they're all the same.

Yes I noticed it was DSG, wasn't going to say anything  :whistle:  Hopefully you'll have a better experience with it this time round. 

Sounds like you've returned "home"  :smiley:

Yeah, it definately feels like a good fit.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2515 on: 11 July 2015, 22:10 »
The original plastic one is definitely a little wider on the DSG cars.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #2516 on: 11 July 2015, 22:13 »
The original plastic one is definitely a little wider on the DSG cars.

Oh well, it definately fits anyway so should be all good. :smiley:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2517 on: 12 July 2015, 17:01 »
Today I drove the R to Scotswood Road in Newcastle to look at car choices for the missus, there are a lot of different marques down there beyond VW and Audi, but that's where our attention lay.

First off to the Audi garage, to look at A1s. We're pretty much set on the 1.6TDI in Sport trim, Floret Silver (Mythos black was also an option, but it doesn't look as good IMO, the car doesn't look "mean" in black", with Hill Hold, Comfort pack and front parking sensors. 

We considered the S-Line, but IMO, it isn't worth an extra £2005 for what amounts to a £500 wheel upgrade, side skirts, a badge on the steering wheel and leather on the bolster bits of the seats).

Had a look in the new TT, i'm not that tall (a whisker under 6'), but there was very little headroom even with the seat cranked right down on height adjustment. By the time the seat was on the floor, it was a confortable place to be, but trying to get out of the car was difficult, I literally fell out of it in a controlled manner. Imagine being against a kerb, where the surface you're stepping out to appears to be 6" closer to the top of the cill - i'd literally just have to combat roll out of the thing!  :grin: As nice as it looked, probably not for me next time (had considered getting a TDI, Quattro and a DTUK box).

Spoke to the Audi sales lass, got a test drive. I wanted to be out just me and the missus as I thought 3 people in the car might blunt the TDI's performance somewhat, but she was having none of it - even handing over the keys to the R as collateral. So we went out in it, all 3 of us and it was surprisingly brisk and economical for 116ps. Obviously not as refined as a MK7 Golf, that extra £14k the R costs buys you a lot over that A1!

Came down to the nitty gritty on price - no p/x to consider. so i'm looking to see how close to broker prices (£1700 discount) they can get, they're £700 adrift inclusive of the deposit contribution (I would finance then pay off within 14 days). It will probably be a broker order then!

Looked at the Polo  next. I slightly prefer the Polo's exterior and the Audi's interior, the Polo has access to better discounts, but has the wimpy 1.4TDI engine and the A1's residuals are a lot better. The free insurance on the Polo won't apply to my missus as a new driver either.

Back in the R, I made a few quick getaways - it's nice to have that far better poke and better brakes, but I could live with the A1 for 1/2 the time to keep the miles on the R reasonable.

After getting home, I washed the car thoroughly.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline RobS23GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2518 on: 12 July 2015, 18:03 »
Following on from some on here, disconnected the sound actuator today as it ruins sport mode for me, plus picks up endless other noises and is generally irritating.
A lot better afterwards and also should have done it sooner!
Current - Mk7 Golf GTI w/performance pack
Previous - VW Golf Mk6 GTD, Ford Fiesta ST, BMW M135i, VW Golf MK5 GTI

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2519 on: 13 July 2015, 12:51 »
bought a new induction kit, the VWR600, now that its down from £358 to £297 http://www.awesomegti.com/volkswagen-racing-r600-intake-system-vw-golf-mk7-r#

Why I hear you say? Just cos it looks neater than my current pipercross kit, ok it'll be quieter too and I may not like that but hopefully i'll get used to it.

I'll be selling my slightly bruised Pipercross for a ton if anyone fancies it when the vwr arrives
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG