Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785000 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2470 on: 03 July 2015, 06:06 »
I'm up to my 7th incidence of the ACC radar throwing a hissy fit, and 6 out of 7 of those are upon entering the exit of the Tyne Tunnel heading north. Is it the long sweeping bend on that part of the run (which is also common with  the time it went off on the A1), or maybe some radar interference from the scanners that pick up your TT permit (pre charged badge that is scanned to remove your balance when you pass through)?

Will probably make an appointment with the local dealership for a warranty scan next week.

Is the metallic noise from the R's engine a normal trait too? It's kind of a cross between the constant scraping noise of metal being machined on a lathe and the whistling of a strong current of air passing over a metal cylinder's lip. It's not turbo whistle, it is constant and most noticeable around idle and low engine speeds (turbo and everything else drowning it out at higher loads?), and may get quieter when the car has had a run (not sure about that). Is this the legendary "wastegate rattle"? It doesn't sound much of a rattle and it has been there from day 1. Maybe get that checked out before doing a DIY oil change - the dealership might do one for me as part of the warranty investigation/fix.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2471 on: 03 July 2015, 22:50 »
I'm up to my 7th incidence of the ACC radar throwing a hissy fit, and 6 out of 7 of those are upon entering the exit of the Tyne Tunnel heading north. Is it the long sweeping bend on that part of the run (which is also common with  the time it went off on the A1), or maybe some radar interference from the scanners that pick up your TT permit (pre charged badge that is scanned to remove your balance when you pass through)?

Will probably make an appointment with the local dealership for a warranty scan next week.

Is the metallic noise from the R's engine a normal trait too? It's kind of a cross between the constant scraping noise of metal being machined on a lathe and the whistling of a strong current of air passing over a metal cylinder's lip. It's not turbo whistle, it is constant and most noticeable around idle and low engine speeds (turbo and everything else drowning it out at higher loads?), and may get quieter when the car has had a run (not sure about that). Is this the legendary "wastegate rattle"? It doesn't sound much of a rattle and it has been there from day 1. Maybe get that checked out before doing a DIY oil change - the dealership might do one for me as part of the warranty investigation/fix.

So you have the noise. 75% have this according to the vwroc poll I started. You need to change your vote on the poll. It seems there is nothing to be concerned about.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2472 on: 03 July 2015, 23:01 »
Asker: I thought that might be "the" noise, but calling it a wastegate rattle, it doesn't seem a rattle at all. If It is there more than a few thousand miles I expect that it must be more of a whistle than a scrape (as whatever was scraping would be work though) - it sounds a bit like train wheels on a track when a train is coming into the station.

Nothing to worry about then? Might do my oil change tomorrow if I can be arsed (and the weather is ok), or maybe next weekend when it will be more like 1600 miles as opposed to 1350 right now, and i'll have spanked the car (when warm) a few more times.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2473 on: 03 July 2015, 23:09 »
There was a terrible smell in our kitchen for a couple of weeks that got worse and worse by the day. I was routing through the cupboards and figured out that the small was coming from underneath. I took the plinth off to have a look and found a decomposing young rabbit, half eating by maggots.
One of the cats had brought it it and it must have got away and squeezed through a tiny hole under the units to get away, but then couldn't get back out. Po0r bunrab  :sad:
Our cats have become so lazy.  They bring live stuff in, plonk it on the floor and bugger off for an 18 hour nap :rolleyes:   Our house is so full of damned mice, we can hear them scurrying about the wall cavities of an evening. 
We've just had to have our tumble dryer rebuilt after a very large mouse took up residence inside it and eventually ate it's way through the belt.  It had gained access to the supply of wild bird food in the utility room and had hoarded 4 dyson cylinders full of nuts inside the dryer.  The repair man found it dead inside, looked like it had gorged itself and got so fat it could no longer squeeze out of the machine.  I knew it was in there but had to feign complete surprise when the guy took the machine apart.  He said he'd never seen anything like it.  Amazingly they fixed it under warranty.
Anyway, my phantom Mk7 R is unsurprisingly still sat at stage 2  :whistle:

Aaarrrgghh! Just reading about mice made me cringe. I hate mice. Saw a mouse one day and it sickened me no end. Therefore, I have had my whole house mouse and rodent proofed. Every single crevice, gap and pipe exit has been sealed with wire wool and silicone, poisons placed in various places and necessary carpentry done. Lots of stuff moved and re-installed especially in the kitchen. Got a professional to do this and he used special cameras to find any gaps, holes etc. Took many hours.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2474 on: 03 July 2015, 23:17 »
Asker: I thought that might be "the" noise, but calling it a wastegate rattle, it doesn't seem a rattle at all. If It is there more than a few thousand miles I expect that it must be more of a whistle than a scrape (as whatever was scraping would be work though) - it sounds a bit like train wheels on a track when a train is coming into the station.

Nothing to worry about then? Might do my oil change tomorrow if I can be arsed (and the weather is ok), or maybe next weekend when it will be more like 1600 miles as opposed to 1350 right now, and i'll have spanked the car (when warm) a few more times.

Matt, that is the noise everyone has been talking about. Some have a ting-a-ling type sound, others have a slight rattle, some have a clanging noise etc. Par of the course with an R. It seems this is a well known issue. Some have had it fixed, but most have accepted it and had no breakdowns. Some have been told by their dealer not to worry about it as most Rs have this as do S3s.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2475 on: 03 July 2015, 23:23 »
Aaarrrgghh! Just reading about mice made me cringe. I hate mice. Saw a mouse one day and it sickened me no end. Therefore, I have had my whole house mouse and rodent proofed. Every single crevice, gap and pipe exit has been sealed with wire wool and silicone, poisons placed in various places and necessary carpentry done. Lots of stuff moved and re-installed especially in the kitchen. Got a professional to do this and he used special cameras to find any gaps, holes etc. Took many hours.

Asker, you should have saved yourself some cash and just called me in.  I am EXPERT at cornering and catching mice, voles, shrew, rabbits, anything really, with my bare hands (don't worry they are sanitised afterwards  :laugh:).  What's more I can operate at lightning speed in pitch dark at 3am in the morning, all with my eyes shut  :grin:

Next time you encounter one of the furry little beasts, I will come and rescue you  :kiss:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2476 on: 04 July 2015, 07:53 »

So you have the noise. 75% have this according to the vwroc poll I started. You need to change your vote on the poll. It seems there is nothing to be concerned about.

Phew, I was beginning to think my mind was playing tricks. The mark 6 I had never had the waste gate rattle, so when I first heard this metallic noise I was concerned, but now after reading this post I am feeling more relaxed. One solution was to leave in race mode which drowns out the metallic noise :whistle:
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2477 on: 04 July 2015, 08:49 »

Phew, I was beginning to think my mind was playing tricks. The mark 6 I had never had the waste gate rattle, so when I first heard this metallic noise I was concerned, but now after reading this post I am feeling more relaxed. One solution was to leave in race mode which drowns out the metallic noise :whistle:

I only really noticed it when the soundaktor got turned down! It does seem characteristic for the car, but "rattle" seems like a misnomer.

Update: Just been out in the car this morning and went into normal mmode so I could hear the issue better - the "rattle" is definitely quieter after a couple of miles when the water is warm, and is heard when you're gently pressing on from 1300 revs to about 2500 revs, and it is more of a hollow ringing - like a muffled bicycle bell. The fact it gets quieter on warm-up reassures me.

The car is booked in for next Friday afternoon for the ACC turning itself off every once in a while. They suggested taking it out for a test drive to replicate the fault or keeping it a few days to drive it about, after i'd said 5 out of 6 times it has happened on a long sweeping bend in exiting the Tyne Tunnel north-bound.

I shot that suggestion down straight away - they want to keep my car until an issue that manifests itself an average of once per week recurs, using my fuel. They probably want to go through the Tyne tunnel multiple times at £3 per return journey on my pre-paid permit too.

The car has an array of fault logging sensors to interrogate - they can start there rather than someone having a weeks jaunt in my car, using my fuel.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2015, 09:59 by monkeyhanger »

Offline benmartingolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2478 on: 04 July 2015, 10:53 »
Just hit the 1000 mile mark so going to celebrate give him a clean and then start to rev the car a little more.

:)
Collect 28th May 2015

GTI MK7, Pure White, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2479 on: 04 July 2015, 13:01 »
Could scan it with vcds matt if you want.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.