Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2080 on: 14 April 2015, 15:33 »
Anyway, never mind the Bridgestone tyres, first thing I'll be doing when my R comes is swapping the oem (Valeo) wiper blades with a set of Bosch Aerotwins.  Is that madness too  :tongue:  :laugh:

lol I have no issue adding to the ever turning circle of madness this thread happens to be so here goes...

Yes, absolutely crazy, I actually think a good clean of the windscreen is all the valeos need and they are nearly as good as the bosch!
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2081 on: 14 April 2015, 15:40 »
Anyway, never mind the Bridgestone tyres, first thing I'll be doing when my R comes is swapping the oem (Valeo) wiper blades with a set of Bosch Aerotwins.  Is that madness too  :tongue:  :laugh:

lol I have no issue adding to the ever turning circle of madness this thread happens to be so here goes...

Yes, absolutely crazy, I actually think a good clean of the windscreen is all the valeos need and they are nearly as good as the bosch!

Haha, oh no they're not, they are rubbish!  Been there, done that with Valeo's on the mk6.  Windscreen was cleaned to the hilt, numerous glass cleaners, vinegar etc, etc.  Valeos still skipped over the screen like a professional boxer.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2082 on: 14 April 2015, 15:43 »

Haha, oh no they're not, they are rubbish!  Been there, done that with Valeo's on the mk6.  Windscreen was cleaned to the hilt, numerous glass cleaners, vinegar etc, etc.  Valeos still skipped over the screen like a professional boxer.

Ahh well you could be right there. You see my hypothesis comes from the fact that my bosch started to act just like my oem ones did after a while, which turned out just to be grime and crap on my windscreen, so I am assuming (insanely of course) that maybe I was too harsh on my poor valeos!
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2083 on: 14 April 2015, 15:51 »

Ahh well you could be right there. You see my hypothesis comes from the fact that my bosch started to act just like my oem ones did after a while, which turned out just to be grime and crap on my windscreen, so I am assuming (insanely of course) that maybe I was too harsh on my poor valeos!

Who knows?  All I can say is both the Valeos and Bosch have been treated to the exact same weekly clean.  Only ever had a wiper judder problem with the Valeo, which were on for a year, before  I ditched them.  The Bosch by comparison have never skipped a beat!

To get back on topic, I had a glance at the VW tracker today, just to make sure my car was still on there  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2084 on: 14 April 2015, 16:16 »

Yes, completely nuts. If the wipers squeak/judder/smear, then of course, try swapping them out. In my experience it's not so much the wiper blades that the problem, it's much more likely to be an issue with some containment/dirt on the windscreen. I've had the problem with my last 2 cars and no amount of wiper blade swapping solved it. A can of brasso and copious amounts of elbow grease did fix it though!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2085 on: 14 April 2015, 16:30 »

It is great to have ladies on the forum who know their stuff.

The R Forum also has one: AgentFruit. She is so with-it. She is on her third R!

First R in DBP had a few faults and a dent, the removal of which required a re-spray of the boot lid so was allowed to keep it until the next order arrived. Second R in DBP had a rear bumper which glowed Dark Blue in sunlight, so was rejected on inspection. Third R in Night Blue is perfect, which she collected 12th April so had one year's motoring with the first one!

Oh, and she changed her wipers immediately to Bosch!

And there is also Jenny19 who also appears to be pretty clued up.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2015, 16:38 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2086 on: 14 April 2015, 17:02 »

I've been doing that on day 1 since the 2nd MK5 Golf, right the way through to now, the OEM Valeo ones are sh!te - I always get a banana shaped smear on the downstroke on the driver side around the arm knuckle.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2087 on: 14 April 2015, 17:02 »

Yes, completely nuts. If the wipers squeak/judder/smear, then of course, try swapping them out. In my experience it's not so much the wiper blades that the problem, it's much more likely to be an issue with some containment/dirt on the windscreen. I've had the problem with my last 2 cars and no amount of wiper blade swapping solved it. A can of brasso and copious amounts of elbow grease did fix it though!

As with everything ETTO.  But going on my past experience of Valeo wipers (on various GTI's), for the sake of a few quid I'd rather just stick Bosch Aerotwins on from the off.  I keep my car very clean so build up of dirt has not been the cause of judder in the past.

The Bridgestone's I'm willing to give a proper chance, after all there's a big difference between the cost of a set of wiper blades and a decent set of 19" rubber.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2088 on: 14 April 2015, 17:23 »

As with everything ETTO.  But going on my past experience of Valeo wipers (on various GTI's), for the sake of a few quid I'd rather just stick Bosch Aerotwins on from the off.  I keep my car very clean so build up of dirt has not been the cause of judder in the past.

The Bridgestone's I'm willing to give a proper chance, after all there's a big difference between the cost of a set of wiper blades and a decent set of 19" rubber.

Oh believe me, I keep my car spotlessly clean too. Both my MK6 and MK7 had terrible squeaky wipers from the day I collected them from the dealers. I tried multiple wiper swaps (both Valeo and Bosch Aero Twin) and they'd help a little bit for a while but the squeaking would return. I eventually narrowed the problem down to some kind of polish/wax residue that was on the screen that would not budge without serious effort. Totally squeak free today.

EDIT: On the MK6 it was actually a Windscreen change (for an entirely separate problem) that fixed my squeaks!
« Last Edit: 14 April 2015, 17:33 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #2089 on: 14 April 2015, 17:25 »
The original wipers were very poor. A constant smear right in front of your eyes and noisy.

Bosch aeros are perfect, smear free and quiet.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.