Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785020 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1990 on: 09 April 2015, 14:08 »
It is a bit annoying but I felt much better as mine was not the only car with this fault. In fact, some were really quite a bit worse.
So you're happier knowing everyone else has a wonky car  :tongue:
Is it more an aesthetic thing?  Or has it any detrimental effect on the door closure, seals etc?

The door closes with a lovely expensive sounding thunk and at motorway speeds there is no wind noise.

It is a very minor misalignment which exhibits itself with the weather strip along the front passenger door being slightly proud of the weather strip of the rear door. This is because the front door needs a slight adjustment inwards on the latch. A 0.5mm movement inwards should do the trick.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1991 on: 09 April 2015, 14:36 »
The door closes with a lovely expensive sounding thunk and at motorway speeds there is no wind noise.

It is a very minor misalignment which exhibits itself with the weather strip along the front passenger door being slightly proud of the weather strip of the rear door. This is because the front door needs a slight adjustment inwards on the latch. A 0.5mm movement inwards should do the trick.

Mmm, well I'll be looking out for this on mine then.  Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

I'm always wary of door issues.  Not the same as this but I had an issue on my Mk6 with creaking door seals which became intolerable over time.  Tried lots of things and then discovered the joy of Krytox lubricant oil (from a recommendation on here).  Silence ever since, ahhh  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1992 on: 09 April 2015, 14:39 »

Mmm, well I'll be looking out for this on mine then.  Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

I'm always wary of door issues.  Not the same as this but I had an issue on my Mk6 with creaking door seals which became intolerable over time.  Tried lots of things and then discovered the joy of Krytox lubricant oil (from a recommendation on here).  Silence ever since, ahhh  :smiley:

WD40 works a treat for me! Do give it a try.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 14:41 by am1w »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1993 on: 09 April 2015, 15:15 »
WD40 works a treat for me! Do give it a try.  :smiley:

Thanks  :smiley:

Krytox (or Dupont 105) is brilliant stuff.  Originally used on the notoriously leaky roof seals of the EOS.  It's picey for a small amount but a little goes a very long way, I still have enough ledf to do another 2-3 entire cars.  Best of all, it works! 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #1994 on: 09 April 2015, 15:50 »
WD40 is great for most things but the problem with it is it dries out and the squeak that had been previously cured comes back with a vengeance. 
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1995 on: 09 April 2015, 15:54 »
WD40 is great for most things but the problem with it is it dries out and the squeak that had been previously cured comes back with a vengeance.

Well in my limited experience of 50 years of motoring, it has worked a treat on rubber! Sorry I can't rephrase that a bit better, but you get my gist!  :laugh:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1996 on: 09 April 2015, 16:23 »

I think Krytox fares much better.  Over a year now and my seals are still creak free  :smiley:

Well in my limited experience of 50 years of motoring, it has worked a treat on rubber! Sorry I can't rephrase that a bit better, but you get my gist!  :laugh:

I'm sure you could rephrase it better, if you tried  :wink:

Are you still using the original can?  Blimey that's been good value :wink:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #1997 on: 09 April 2015, 16:30 »
Krytox is very good I have about 20 bottles  :grin:,  if you can't get it then gummi pfledge is quite good.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1998 on: 09 April 2015, 16:30 »

Stop being so nosey! But I'll tell 'cause I like you! :kiss:
I bought a new jumbo spray can last year! :laugh:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1999 on: 09 April 2015, 17:27 »
Krytox is very good I have about 20 bottles  :grin:,  if you can't get it then gummi pfledge is quite good.

I don't like Gummi Pfledge at all.  It seems ok, that is until it rains and runs all down the paintwork, and is a bugger to get off.

In fact I've got 2 full bottles (bought it on a multibuy once) which I will gladly give away to a good home if anyone wants them.

Stop being so nosey! But I'll tell 'cause I like you! :kiss:
I bought a new jumbo spray can last year! :laugh:

That'll last you another 50 years if you are lucky or it will just outlast you  :kiss:  I jest of course  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual